HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:58 PM
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
I picked up mine in Kerrsville Tx 4 yrs ago. I don't like the front,..so I changed it for the better.
Marked is offline Find More Posts by Marked
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:45 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,294 Posts
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Oct 13, 2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
WELL..........always running into issues....the rudder pull-pull servo just wasnt in the right place,and I didnt catch it till everything was mounted. And I dont want to move the whole mount,its close to the seat already.

So this is the solution....it works. I dont have any one looking as I work so I am finding things the hard way

Aileron linkage...just like the real one,guess it would be easier to put servos in the wing like everyone else,I have to do it the hard way. Bellcrank mounts are soldered and then glued to the frame. The piece of fuel tubing keeps the inner shaft from sliding out,and allows the bellcrank to be removed if needed.

The blue shrink tube helps keep the slop out of the setup,works well.

Challenger
I would strongly recommend the front end modification,and the shock system on the gear is MANDATORY! SO many have wrecked planes because of gear failures,a few moderate hard landings will weaken it,then it breaks unexpectedly.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
Project will probably be shelved if I cant solve the rod problem. I'm about done trying to figure out how keep the carbon rods from breaking the end glue joints. I don't want to glob thread and epoxy on each joint...it would look like the front where the 4 main rods come together... and every time I bump the front( this time it finally fell off the table) several rods fell apart that didn't have thread.... again.

A months worth of work down the drain if I stop now.I will probably never scratch build another scale project unless its flat foam. Or just Take it out of the box and fly like most everyone else does.

I have over the years scratch built from plans over 65 airplanes. Just this one has fought me from the start.

Maybe drill. 010 and pin with stainless wire? Problem is....that weakens the main rods

Any ideas? Anyone? Different type of thread? Or something totally different?
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:43 PM
Joined Feb 2012
51 Posts
JB Weld, or thickened epoxy fillet
RCLurker is offline Find More Posts by RCLurker
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:54 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,294 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2012, 01:59 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,294 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
Lurker
I used filled epoxy and JB would probably be about the same.

Thanks for the parts Carlos....if I cant use them for this project ..I have more.
Not scale of course
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
OK....Found some stuff I had stashed for 25 years...in a dark corner

It was a roll of carbon fiber tow. You can split it up to make a flat ribbon to wrap . looked like it would work...did a few joints to see how it holds up...

Will post pics of results...
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:58 PM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
Here is the result of re-doing the entire frame. The joints look cleaner,and are smaller. Had to carefully dremel the old ones off.

The difference in strength is amazing. I can now twist and bend the front (its really stiff )and nothing comes loose.

The wraps are not perfect,but tight enough to let superglue soak in for a strong bond. I will make a sample joint and see what it will take.

Thanks to Carlos and Rob T for suggestions/encouragement.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:56 AM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marked View Post
Here is the result of re-doing the entire frame. The joints look cleaner,and are smaller. Had to carefully dremel the old ones off.

The difference in strength is amazing. I can now twist and bend the front (its really stiff )and nothing comes loose.

The wraps are not perfect,but tight enough to let superglue soak in for a strong bond. I will make a sample joint and see what it will take.

Thanks to Carlos and Rob T for suggestions/encouragement.
Looks really nice. Way to hang in there.
Best,
Robert
Robert R is online now Find More Posts by Robert R
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
The gear was flexing a little...so I added a brace to prevent any future problems.

Things are slowing a bit...trying to figure out stuff,need to get a battery to determine C/G. I know I am tail heavy
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:26 PM
United States, NC, Newland
Joined Nov 2005
91 Posts
Hey Mark, great job thus far! Keep it up man. I scratch built a sort of half-Quicksilver, half Trike design and strapped in none other than a Barbie doll. Nice easy slow flyer for calm days. See it over in scratch-built foamie section. I made channel brackets out of thin sheet aluminum to connect tubes at joints, seems to be holding up well so far with about 30 flights and 3 or 4 crash landings...
1funwingflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1funwingflyer
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
Its been a lot slow...I have been working out c/g issues before they get out of control.

The foam wing idea was a failure,so I am in the process of cutting balsa out for the frame version. lots of 1/2 ribs(16),only 6 main ones per wing
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:04 PM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
I spent 6 -7 hours designing and making a motor mount and fake engine. Turned out to be a lot more work,but after its painted,it will look better. The lower half(cylinders) will house the ESC and there will be screens on both ends.

After mounting it,I noticed the motor flexed in its angle alum. mount,so I added a brace. Just more work....