HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:16 PM
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
Build Log
1/6 Scale Ultralight

Since I have this plane,why not do a model of it?
It is a Kolb Ultrastar,1983 or so,which me and my friend Tony helped me rebuild.

The front isnt original,looks and flies better,,,and is very comfortable.
Marked is online now Find More Posts by Marked
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:27 PM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
The frame is made of fiberglass rods,since I had them in my pile of stuff.
Boom tube is a section of fishing pole. Thin and light,it is also the correct size scaled down(the real one is 5")

I used thread to bind main parts together,will later cover them with epoxy and sand smooth...or will try..

If anyone has better ideas joining the rods together,let me know. I am just using superglue then epoxy.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:01 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,237 Posts
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Oct 13, 2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:39 PM
Walking with the Lord
United States, OH, Tipp City
Joined Apr 2012
312 Posts
This is awesome. I was in an ultralight once and loved it. Glad to see you scale down to RC level. Any vids of your full scale flights?
GravyBones is offline Find More Posts by GravyBones
Old Jul 01, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
Pitts may have some. I have several with the camera mounted on the wing facing inward. I also have one of a deadstick landing.,..plane kept hitting thermals. Utube...look up kpt417 there may be some there.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
Here are more pics of parts I have made. The pulleys are stacked washers glued together. I will change the other fittings several times before Im done.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:10 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,237 Posts
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Oct 13, 2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
The real plane folds up...so I am doing the same. The crummy shots are the result of 10+hours of designing,building,rebuilding....multiple times until I was able to move the elevators,then fold the tail up without disconnecting anything. Elevators and rudder are cable operated.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:53 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,662 Posts
Neat techniques, Mark. I've used kevlar fishing line and epoxy to bind carbon fiber and fiberglass tubes together in the past. It seems to hold up pretty well. Keep on posting!

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:57 AM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
The foam surfaces are for fitting only...easy to modify ..will probably frame the final controls...since I am trying to keep weight off the tail.
Seems like most scale models get tail heavy fast.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:17 PM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,453 Posts
Hey Mark,

I just found the thread. The build looks great so far!!.

Let me know if any of my tools or building materials can be used as I have quite a bit of stuff laying around as well.

I will be following the progress regularly!!

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:11 PM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
the landing gear was a challenge.the rear view is 1in too high..I forgot to take the wheel diameter into my calculations. So unsolder and recut the back legs..after 1 Hour+ fitting the wrong ones

I reset the height of the fuse and taped it down,front(on old tx) middle,taped on the side of a box,rear,taped to a plastic box. there it sat on the floor for 3 days. the middle of the cross tube(taped flat on the floor) will be cut out,at least 7 1/2 " of it.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:57 AM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
This shock design is from the Legal Eagle ultralight.

pic 1 ....it works like the Cub gear,pulls outward,the opposite of a R/C car shock.
There is a slit in the outer tube,the inner tube has the pin that compresses the spring. Its a little hard to see at first,but I figured it out enough to have it on the full size one. The original design had no shock,just a solid tube...this resulted in many gear failures,unless you landed softly EVERY time.

pic 2....the assembled shock. this is better than bungees,you can change springs or add washers in if you add weight to the plane,or rough terrain.

It was hard to make them so small,and have them function.Im sure others on this forum who have better machinery could do better. I just used a Dremel tool for all machine work...its all I have ...and a bunch of bits
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:50 AM
I quit smoking :-)
Joined Jul 2012
12 Posts
The quality seems fine to me considering your tools. I like your creative use of materials (the fishing rod in particular).

Maurice
Maurice Pudlo is offline Find More Posts by Maurice Pudlo
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:15 AM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
I still need to clean up all the parts and fittings..a paint job will go a long way. The majority of the airframe is black.