SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 01, 2012, 01:36 AM
Joined Feb 2012
88 Posts
Discussion
Mini CP tail boom repair, any ideas?

Hi guys, i dont know if im the only one breaking the tail boom every 6 or 7 batteries, this is like a pita!!!! So im looking for a replacement that is not going to break that fast, i have try with an aluminium bar of 2 mm and a bit of hot glue instead of the factory tail boom, i try it with 1 battery only bcoz the rest of my batteries were drained, i found it a little bit heavy, but in normal flight ( not 3D) coz i cant yet, its very stable with a strong wind even, so i dint that i will try it a little more to take a final decition, if somebody have the same problem of lots of broken tail booms, would be great to do the replacement and help me in my research or if someone have a better solution for this big problem, pls share it, thanks in advance.
Udonsushi is offline Find More Posts by Udonsushi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2012, 01:40 AM
Joined Feb 2012
88 Posts
I have pics but i dont know how to post them.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:16 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,295 Posts
You can do what the MCPx people do, that is to use a 2.0 or 2.5mm solid CF rod with the tail motor wires wrapped round it. However, you must take extreme care when you do this, as it is very easy for the tail motor to short and blow the fet on your receiver. The problem is that in a crash, the main blades may strike the boom and remove enamel coating from the wires. You really need heavy duty wires such as 28 or 30 SWG. To make it safer, you can shrink wrap the wire around the boom, or run the wires on the side or underneath the boom. If you do it right, you will not need another boom again.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:44 AM
Joined Feb 2012
88 Posts
Im sorry but what is a solid CF?
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:47 AM
United States, CT
Joined Apr 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Udonsushi View Post
Im sorry but what is a solid CF?
CF = "Carbon Fiber"
Sudsak is offline Find More Posts by Sudsak
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:36 AM
Joined Feb 2012
88 Posts
Can i find that in any rc shop? Or is any especific model that suits the mini cp?
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:23 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,295 Posts
I got both the CF rod and 28 SWG wire from my MCPx vendor. In the US, a lot of people buy CF rods from RC foam

http://www.rcfoam.com/index.php?cPat...2dfd8070b6800c

I am not sure whether you can get them from your LHS in Japan or not. If you decide to use a solid CF rod, it is imperative that you replace the stock motor wire with a thicker more durable wire.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 11:43 PM
Joined Feb 2012
88 Posts
The tail motor wire right? Ok i will take a look on that store, maybe they ship to japan too, here i was buying from china helipal. com, boz if it is not going to break again, it worth it
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:35 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,295 Posts
The long tail motor wires that goes through the boom. They are very thin and very susceptible to damage if you wrap them round a solid CF boom. I suppose you can try to shrink wrap the boom if you can't find any thicker wires. However, I think you should be able to get CF rods and thicker wires in Japan.

I wrote about the problems of burnt out boards in another forum and there are some good suggestions on how to prevent it.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=423120
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:33 PM
Joined Feb 2012
88 Posts
I was thinking to put that kind of tube that can be heat by a hair dryer, so the factory wires would be covered
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:48 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
866 Posts
My experience has been that 2mm square tube is very weak and easily splits. 2.5mm solid rod with one end filed square to fit the frame and the other end shaped to fit whatever tail mount you have is too strong and will break frames unless you reinforce them. I prefer to use the 2mm square tube but glue 3" of 1mm rod inside each end. This, to me, is the best compromise of weight, strength and flexibility. I also route my tail wiring outside of the boom but haven't had any issues as I use a high quality 28g magnet wire.
itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:39 AM
Joined Feb 2012
88 Posts
Enamel have any kind of cover that doesnt allow electricity to run outside the boom and only inside? Well i mean in the center of the wire?
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:10 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Udonsushi View Post
I was thinking to put that kind of tube that can be heat by a hair dryer, so the factory wires would be covered
That is a shrink wrap, and it may work. But you still have to very carefully when using the stock wires. Sometimes, damage occurs as you are removing the wires from your damaged tail boom. It is best to check for shorts before you connect it to the receiver.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined May 2012
112 Posts
Did anyone try to glue 1mm round rod inside the 2mm square tail to get the solid 2mm tail? Or knows the source for solid 2X2 carbon rod instead of tube?
Skovoroda is offline Find More Posts by Skovoroda
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Feb 2012
88 Posts
I think that to put glue inside would be very difficult maybe