HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:36 PM
Minneapolis MN USA
Joined Jul 2004
100 Posts
I took a Solidworks class at the local technical college (cost $650 + book) and we used the book " Engineering Design with Solidworks 2011" by David and Marie Planchard. The book comes with a CD and a card with a download code to download a full function version of SW that is good for 150 days. The book cost about $55. The book goes step by step, and I mean EVERY step. It is not so good at explaining why you are doing whatever with whatever tool. The CD is also not the best. She talks fast, so I always watched the lessons 3 or 4 times. They are short though.

To get a student version (fully functional) of SW, which is good for 1 year you will need proof of enrollment in a CAD, drafting, engineering, or equivalent program. It does not have to be a degree program, it could be a certificate program. This one year version will cost $155 +/- after tax and shipping.

After the student version expires, I do not know what I will do to get access to SW. If I am using CAD enough, I may just buy a student version of Rhino, which does not expire.

Both these versions put a "student version" icon on any material that they print out.

If you want to learn a CAD program for work/professional use in engineering or machine shops, SW is popular. IMHO
Stalled is offline Find More Posts by Stalled
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:43 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,092 Posts
If you 'd like to animate and noting else go for Truespace ... since Microsoft bought Caligary - it is FREE!!
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:44 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,273 Posts
I down loaded Draft Site (free) I still can't use it though. Not the fault of the program though. It's the idiot running the keyboard and mouse

Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:43 PM
USA, TX, Flint
Joined Mar 2009
19 Posts
I use draft site every day for 2d machine parts. It is free and as the saying goes you get what you pay for. We are transitioning to solid works but receive negatives from some of our older DWG loving engineers. If the OP is looking for a career learn solid works, and take some classes towards an engineering discipline. Designers today need to be almost engineers if you want to go far in today's market.
ranchflyer is offline Find More Posts by ranchflyer
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1 Posts
Importing files into Corel Draw from Compufoil

I am a new member and don't know how to get to the correct place to post this question, so please forgive my ignorance and anyone that can help, the help will be greatly appreciated.
jc616 is offline Find More Posts by jc616
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:18 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,092 Posts
I did not work that much with compufoil and Corel, but since rather every CAD program is able to handle point clouds you could export the suporting coords of your spline as a TXT List or DAT or ASC format ( it is also possible with some limitations for Corel to handle DXF) . for the first called files you are able to refine the file to a readable list using Excel ! and import the points you finally can reconstruct the spline in corel - ( I know that is rather close to build it from scratch but it finally works for most applications.....)

Good Luck on trying !

Hj
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:34 AM
Joined Jun 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbudz223 View Post
So I an a total noob at CAD, all I know is what CAD stands for, but I want to learn it and eventually become a pro, so does anyone know any good online or otherwise resources, or any tips on how to start.
I've been using Qcad for years. A very good 2D program. Look here for online help, documentation, as well as a users forum.

Jim

http://www.qcad.org/en/
shutterbug772 is online now Find More Posts by shutterbug772
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:42 AM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
If you're a college/certificate student (it does not specify major or eligible areas of study), you can get Autodesk programs (AutoCAD, Autodesk Inventor, etc) for FREE. Aside from the endless Youtube tutorial videos, Autodesk also provide seemingly endless tutorials on how to do things. On the other hand, Autodesk software is professional grade. It's complicated (and amazingly powerful).
Wufnu is offline Find More Posts by Wufnu
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:35 AM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wufnu View Post
If you're a college/certificate student (it does not specify major or eligible areas of study), you can get Autodesk programs (AutoCAD, Autodesk Inventor, etc) for FREE. Aside from the endless Youtube tutorial videos, Autodesk also provide seemingly endless tutorials on how to do things. On the other hand, Autodesk software is professional grade. It's complicated (and amazingly powerful).
Cool, I will have to look into that, I am an engineering student.

I looked into the student version of Solid Works but decided against that because it expires after 1 year and you have to then shell out another $150.

I'm trying to teach myself as much CAD as I can because it is required by many employers.

Stalled, that was a pretty good bargain on that CAD class. At my university it would cost me around $1000 for the class. And to top things off the professor that teaches the class has among the worst ratings of any professor at the university. Which is why most students at my university take only what they have to with him and teach themselves the rest.

Zach
Tail Spin1 is offline Find More Posts by Tail Spin1
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:12 AM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
Yah, the Autodesk student deal is a pretty sweet gig. Heck, I graduated two years ago and I can still get the student versions. It's the same as the professional one except it puts a watermark on anything you print. The CAD class isn't mandatory for you? We had one but it was rudimentary at best.
Wufnu is offline Find More Posts by Wufnu
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:01 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wufnu View Post
The CAD class isn't mandatory for you? We had one but it was rudimentary at best.
The basic CAD class was mandatory, probably similar to what you had. I took that at a community collage before I transfered to my university.
Half the class was drafting by hand and half was done on AutoCAD.

I loved the CAD class I had at the community collage. The professor was a goof ball and kept us in stitches. Wouldn't dream of taking a CAD class where I am now though. The environment is completely different.

SIUe is an ok place but CAD is best taken someplace else.

Zach
Tail Spin1 is offline Find More Posts by Tail Spin1
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:13 AM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2012
127 Posts
Just like you I am a noob in learnng my CAD program. I have the TurboCAD Deluxe 16 2D/3D, on the cd is a full beginners tutorial into the world of CAD drawing. I am now learning how to make templetes and am enjoying it.
baronbernie is offline Find More Posts by baronbernie