HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:18 PM
Don't Drink & Fly
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2012
296 Posts
Discussion
WL Toys V911 tail motor needs too much rudder trim after less than 10 flights?

After only about 8 to 9 flights (never ran two batteries back to back either), my tail motor is loosing power. I noticed to stay from rotating too much, I had to trim it almost all the way to the left for the rudder. I also felt the tail motor and it was a bit warm.

Will the Bravo SX tail motor work better (think that is the one I read to get)? Did I get a bad motor in mine? Like this little heli (only messed with a 3ch. before this.) but wont keep it if motors start going bad every 10 flights or less.

Should I have considered a better heli? Hope not, at least for now since I ordered a few parts for spares and upgrades already, lol.

Thanks
TapouT21 is online now Find More Posts by TapouT21
Last edited by TapouT21; Jun 30, 2012 at 08:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:33 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapouT21 View Post
I had to trim it almost all the way to the left for the rudder.
If you are trimming the rudder trim to the left it means that your tail motor is too strong not too weak.

(I assume that you mean that you are trimming the NOSE of the heli to the left)
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:42 PM
Step 1: Tear it apart
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,700 Posts
Is your tail rotor blade pushed up against the motor causing friction?
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:14 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
You must have accidentally bought a 9958, v911s are perfect and nothing ever breaks.

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:42 AM
Don't Drink & Fly
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2012
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn McKinney View Post
If you are trimming the rudder trim to the left it means that your tail motor is too strong not too weak.

(I assume that you mean that you are trimming the NOSE of the heli to the left)
Thanks. I was thinking it "may" mean something like that when I thought which way the blades would make the heli spin. But wondered how that would happen when it needed no trim out of the box for rudder. Then all at once it started (nose) spinning to the right (clockwise). I had to trim almost all the way left on the control to counter it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
Is your tail rotor blade pushed up against the motor causing friction?
Thanks. No, I checked that after reading some of the mods etc. you posted. Thanks for all the info you have posted about this heli! I have ordered a tail with motor for the Bravo SX as well as the delrin Solo Pro gear, but they were out of the Bravo SX main motor so I will order that later I guess. Considered buying a spare BNF v911 heli to mod or something since they are cheap.

I just want to make sure if I should get a replacement since I got it only a couple days ago and it will cost me nothing to send back and get a new one within a couple days. But I still would like to figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8 View Post
You must have accidentally bought a 9958, v911s are perfect and nothing ever breaks.

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist.
I wasn't even sure what a 9958 was till I looked it up just now

PS. when you hit the top button to give you more control (for outside I guess?), should anything indicate that on the controller (other than being able to see the movements amplified on the controller)? I thought at first the Mode 1 would change to a 2, since the Mode 1 cant stand for controller setup (its a mode 2).
Last edited by TapouT21; Jul 01, 2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:11 AM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2011
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapouT21 View Post
PS. when you hit the top button to give you more control (for outside I guess?), should anything indicate that on the controller (other than being able to see the movements amplified on the controller)? I thought at first the Mode 1 would change to a 2, since the Mode 1 cant stand for controller setup (its a mode 2).
Move a stick, on low rates it will show 3 bars in the center on the screen, high rates show 4 bars.
cgpirre is offline Find More Posts by cgpirre
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:28 AM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,365 Posts
When you bind the heli, is it absolutely still?

The gyro will not initialize properly and your rudder trim may be incorrect if the heli is moved while being turned on.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:52 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,428 Posts
I have tested that it is very difficult to screw up gyro initialisation during start up. I tried shaking, turning, flipping while powering on, but the heli flew fine. Out of curiosity, how to mess up the gyro init?
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:22 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,347 Posts
I never had power up problems on heli's no matter what position they were in. Even had 9958/ V911/ 260A/270A upside down and they flew fine. Turned them over to see if any difference..nada.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:55 AM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
I never had power up problems on heli's no matter what position they were in..
Position isn't the problem.

Many helis will have rudder trim problems and some won't initialize at all if they are moving when being bound to the transmitter.

Older helis frequently required the transmitter rudder trim to be near the center when binding or the gyro wouldn't initialize.

On the V911 the transmitter rudder trim resets when initializing.
Last edited by Martyn McKinney; Jul 01, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:32 AM
Don't Drink & Fly
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2012
296 Posts
If I remember correctly, I thought the manual stated to put the battery in the heli then turn the remote on. I had been turning the remote on, then putting the battery in the heli cause I thought that was safer so the remote has control over it and interference couldn't make it take off. But doing this it seemed fine up until yesterday.

Tried again today and....

Put battery in, turned transmitter on and flew fine with no rudder trim. I guess it maybe was the issue not binding correctly then? Hope that was all, thanks everyone.

I hope to get more into helis, modding this one and buying more later on. So I should be around the forums more.

* are the pieces like the tail fin etc. superglued on? Do I need some sort of solvent for Super Glue if I ever need to change any of that out. What about the tail piece? Thanks
Last edited by TapouT21; Jul 01, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:12 PM
Don't Drink & Fly
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2012
296 Posts
I was wondering, is it normal for the tail motor to get a little warm after even short usage?
Thanks
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Apr 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn McKinney View Post
I suffer from this myself -- with a SoloPro 270 Tail & Main Motor however.

It's fine for the first minute or so of flight and then it gets progressively worse as the flight goes on.

So yes, 'tail motor is too strong'... but why isn't the gyro able to compensate?
ymboc is offline Find More Posts by ymboc
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:18 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymboc View Post
So yes, 'tail motor is too strong'... but why isn't the gyro able to compensate?
I can only offer a few suggestions.

1. The gyro sensor on the main board is too close to the motor FET and is getting warm which miscalibrates the gyro.This was a common problem with some early Blade coax helis.

2. The gyro circuit is voltage sensitive. As the battery voltage drops, the gyro zero changes.

3. Your transmitter batteries are too low. As their voltage changes, the transmitter rudder trim is changing.
Last edited by Martyn McKinney; Jul 01, 2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:37 PM
Don't Drink & Fly
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2012
296 Posts
Flew it outside for the first time today. Only a light wind here and there. Had to switch into "wind mode" cause when a small gust hit me I would loose it (and hit the gutter on the garage once). After I switched the setting though I didn't crash anymore, just had to throttle down a few times and land/catch it in my hand.

These are addictive!