HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by LcJ, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 09:01 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,541 Posts
Discussion
Own your own - What it means

Posted this a few years ago and couldn't find it. Posted it again and this is what was posted.

In 1973 or so in McComb, MS, a Cub Scout Leader took his pack on a 5 mile hike. He asked if I would help. It was a hot day and McComb has some rolling hills. At the end of the hike there was a long hill. A fat little cub who reminded myself of me when I was his age as the Leader to carry him up the hill. Looking down at the boy he said, "If I tried to carry you up that hill neither one of us would make it. Tell you what, let's walk up the hill together and when you need help I will give you a hand, but when I need help you can do the same for me." The little boy smile and we all started up the hill together. I think one time the little guy grabbed a hand, but just for a few steps and then he was back on his on.

This story really happened and is an illustration of how you help someone and let allow them the joy of knowing they didn't it on their on with only a little help. Being carried up the hill would have taught the by nothing. But what he learned was that at times he needed to be available to be called on for help.

In this country at this time we have confused a helping hand with being carried. There is a difference and one is charity and the other is enabling which is a sickness twice. It is a sickness for the enabler and the enabled and they feed off each other. As long as it just involves the two it is tolerable but when the enabler decides everyone else should help them complete the task is when it becomes a societal problem.

Government can never replace the value of personal charity and it is joyfully and freely given, not demanded.
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:05 AM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jun 2011
187 Posts
The care of the poor is a branch of charity. In the narrow sense charity means any exercise of mercy towards one's fellowman rooted in the love of God. While numerous classes of persons are fit objects for charity, the chief class is constituted by the poor. By the poor are meant persons who do not possess and cannot acquire the means of supporting life, and are thus dependent on the assistance of others. In accordance with Christ's command (Matthew 25:40), the care of the poor is the duty of all the members of the Christian body, so that by the works of each the welfare of the whole community may be promoted. As, however, success is most readily attained by the systematic co-operation of many, we find since the earliest days of Christianity, side by side with the private exercise of charity, strictly conceded measures taken by the Church for the care of the poor. The Church's care of the poor is by no means a substitute for private efforts; on the contrary, it is intended to supplement, extend, and complete the work of individuals. When the private is unable or unwilling then the burden and charity must come from “we the people” through the administration of laws to protect the least protected in our society.
Rat Brother 1 is offline Find More Posts by Rat Brother 1
Old May 17, 2014, 09:50 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,541 Posts
But when we encourage, if not train, people to be immoral and to avoid work at all costs, have we indeed been charitable to them. Work is a blessing and our society encourages people not to realize that blessing.
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad