HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:51 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Haaahaaaaa!,,, keep it up mister,,, will have to put the evil eye on you!. I've got a ways to go befor I can maiden mine. W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:17 PM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
692 Posts
Well I braved the never ending wind this afternoon for the maiden. No video, my son forgot the camera! will get some next flight. I went to our grass field, figured it was better for the maiden given the wind.
Flight Report:
PLENTY OF POWER the Vixen was like a rocket with the power and design I should have gone to the big field! The hand launch was no problem, what was a problem was my throws. I only used low rates and I need to reduce them, roll rate was fierce. She will fly happily at about 1/4 throttle, rather quickly. I needed no trim as far as I could tell given the wind. The plane is quite durable, I over shot my designated landing area twice The first time I was forced to make an emergency landing in a nice 100x100 foot patch of sticker bushes about 8 feet tall...right in the middle of course, thank god for a 12 y/o son, he was able to make his way in for the retrieval. The second time I ran out of short grass on landing hitting piles of long mowed grass, the plane managed to do about 5 cart wheels while the pilot ejected along with the hatch Just a couple of scratches...that SS1000 is tough stuff. Well thats my report, I will get some video soon. I am very happy with the flight performance. I need to take it to my regular field thats bigger and get used to it. I am going to touch up the paint and put a layer of FG on the bottom of fuse and the nose for landings.
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:48 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Congrats Greg on a good maiden! Next time make sure he has the camera and if your over those sticker bushes on the landing, power up and go around again . W
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:21 AM
Joined Feb 2012
692 Posts
Thanks Walt, I will definately get some video.I should have waited and went to our big flight field. This one is way to small. I should have powered up, I was comming in to hot, concentrating on keeping wings level and................out of landing strip! Tunnel vision I guess. Hows the CG issue comming? Where you not able to work it out with different battery and or placement? I hope you do not have to do to many modifications. The planes looking good. I have been watching and looking at some 3 views of both the Mig and the Sabre. Both are really neat aircraft. Greg
Last edited by Lt599; Aug 02, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:45 AM
Joe_Crash
United States, MD, Gaithersburg
Joined Oct 2010
451 Posts
imo, you'll definitely do well to add not rudders, but at least fins - I don't think you need a rudder, I've flown a lot of deltas and flying wings, and the elevons work just fine, but all my own planes track much better with fins. Think Fun Jet or Ultra Fun Jet style fins, or some washout on the wingtips. I really like your creation! I have a few sheets of 6mm depron laying around, I think I'm going to make something similar. I like the "free form" build as you go method too, unless I'm building something scale or a kit. (not ARF).
Good job on the nacelle!
joe_crash is offline Find More Posts by joe_crash
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Feb 2012
692 Posts
Vixen XD 1 flight video

I hope I do this right, thanks for the posting instructions Joe. I put fixed gear on her and this is the first ground take off. It is a short flight. I was dealing with some wind again..no surprise My landing was hot and long. There is a chainlink fence at that end of our run way, I should have brought her around and landed the other direction. I need to figure out how to slow her down. Oh well I have a better mount now for the front strut.
Vixen XD1 1st flight TOG. (5 min 36 sec)
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:49 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,863 Posts
In a word- DRAG CHUTE! Nice flight, and your son is quite the videographer. Congrats.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Aug 05, 2012, 03:01 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Good flight Greg, congrats!!!! it'l slow down more, that big delta should float right in... next time! w.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Feb 2012
692 Posts
Yesterday we had a fly in at our RC club. I took the Vixen up and did a demo flight for everyone, had a good flight then had a repeat of the video on landing I really need to figure out how to bleed off more air speed? I was wondering if I would benefit from installing some type of air brakes. I was thinking something similiar to the F86? However because of the delta design the brakes would be located on the sides of the fuse above the wing. I wonder what effects that would create? Does anyone have any experience with them? Greg
Old Aug 05, 2012, 03:08 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
wowee! that thing cooks! I wonder if you could add split drag flaps to the two verticle stabs, the added weight wouldnt be a problem by the looks of your power curve
prettycool man, good job!

Joe
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Old Aug 05, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Feb 2012
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjg View Post
Good flight Greg, congrats!!!! it'l slow down more, that big delta should float right in... next time! w.
Thanks, you would think it would, but I am having a heck of a time trying to slow her down. Are you getting the CG dialed in on your Mig?
Old Aug 05, 2012, 03:34 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015 , May 28-31
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,882 Posts
Congrats on the flight! Looks like a great flier!
On deltas, a nose heavy jet lands fast... I'm not saying you should start changing your CG just yet .

Deltas also bleeds off energy in turns use that to your advantage as you make that last turn in to final. Based on the height in the video you should have been at low to off throttle position at that final descending turn. After the turn be ready to add power to get a slight nose high approach, which bleeds off speed like crazy! Play with the bird at a safe attitude to find the sweet spot (throttle/elevator input).
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Aug 05, 2012, 04:16 PM
Joined Feb 2012
692 Posts
Thanks everyone I am going to re install the front landing gear (again ) This time I am building a mounting plate out of light ply that will hold the hard point and the steering servo and mount it flush on to the bottom of the fuse. It will give me alot more anchoring surface and also recess the steering servo and linkage inside the fuse. It will be stronger and be a cleaner installation. Then go fly her again and work on my approach. I do like the idea of air brakes and a drag chute, that would definately add some cool factor Greg
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:36 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt599 View Post
I really need to figure out how to bleed off more air speed?
Greg,

You should try and get your jet into high alpha for landing. You'll need to slow down enough that you need more power to stay airborne. I had issues landing my Velocity-RC Mirage until I started to slow it down:

Velocity-RC Mirage - Exploring the Flight Envelope. (4 min 56 sec)
bwoollia is offline Find More Posts by bwoollia