HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:00 AM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
627 Posts
Well I got a little more done, this part seems to be going slow, rigging and some final details. I am hopeing to try and maiden on sunday if the weather is good. I built a thrust tube out of a sheet of lexan. I made the nozzle opening 85% FSA (59mm) I am not sure about using it though. I would like to know how much thrust one looses, I know you gain speed but? Any input would be great. I did run some numbers and I am happy about them.

AUW shood end up at 1250 grams, I was shooting for 1200
CG was right on with just the air frame with servos installed at 25% MAC. Just need to keep that during the rest of the rigging.
Wing surface area 350.34
Wing loading 17.5
Lt599 is online now Find More Posts by Lt599
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:07 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Greg, it looks really great! Congrats on a nice looking plane! and good luck with the maiden.. On the thrust tube, you could fly without, then put it on and try it to see how much difference it adds. I've always used a thrust tube on mine. Try it and see, to me I tell people my planes are all an experiments! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:55 PM
Joined Feb 2012
627 Posts
Thanks Walt, I was debating on the tube. With this set up I know I am over 42oz of thrust. I also know that you can loose up to 20% static thrust @ 85% FSA. You are right, they are experiments so I will go fly it and see Greg
Old Jul 29, 2012, 06:21 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,866 Posts
I would use the thrust tube.
At that wing loading low end thrust isn't going to be a problem. The gains at the top end will put a smile on your face.

Looks great - BTW!!!
Love the colors.

Julian
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:47 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,019 Posts
Looking Good. Best of luck with your maiden.
I do have to say when I first saw the canopy, it reminded me of this:

Jetsons Car (0 min 25 sec)
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Feb 2012
627 Posts
Thats Great...I hope it flies like the jetsons I went with the thrust tube. Run up in the shop shows it will lift it self vertical with noooo problem! Just gotta program the throws. Gonna head out later today. Ill try for video. I need to figure out how to post vids on here? or link to Youtube. Greg
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:27 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,019 Posts
Couldn't resist the Jetson car. But you have to admit, the canopy is almost a dead ringer for it. Anyway, have a great flight, get the video, and someone here will coach you through getting it posted. Pretty simple.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Feb 2012
627 Posts
Thanks ill do my best
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:34 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
hey Greg,
load the vid on u-tube, once it is on u-tube you can hi-lite the url in the address bar on your browser and do the "ctrl-C" thing to copy it, then to post it here use the "create link" button while posting and a box pops up, just do the "ctrl-V" to paste it in the box and it will be in your post.
good luck on the maiden, cant wait to she it fly!

Joe
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Feb 2012
627 Posts
Thanks Joe, I will do that. I got the final numbers and I am happy. AUW 1260 grams, with the skylipo 5s 2200 30c im getting 930 watts at 53 amps WOT with the thrust tube at 85% FSA. 334 watts per pound...not bad. She will(hover) hold her own weight vertical at just over 1/2 throttle. I finished setting my throws. 1/2" low and 1" high with 60 and 80% expo.might be to much but I will see. I plan on heading out this afternoon but it never fails the wind just kicked up Usually it dies down later in the evening. We will see Greg
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
yep! thats why I got up early today, wanted to beat the wind, was pretty breezy yesterday too. wierd weather we are having here in the Pacific Northwest, should be lite breezes and sunny, lately its partly cloudy and windy, warm wind but wind none the less

Joe
Old Jul 29, 2012, 06:40 PM
Joined Feb 2012
627 Posts
I know, trucks loaded figured id head up to the field about 5 and see how it is. Id go in the AM but gotta go on shift for 48hrs. Hate to have to wait 3 more days..its already been 5 weeks..LOL
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:01 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts

cccommmmmmonnnn already.....

Joe
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined Feb 2012
627 Posts
Ill have to try later this week. I went out, it was gusty... I took my Habu up and it was getting tossed around pretty good. Decided better safe than sorry for the maiden. I dont get this weather we have been having this year? Just like you said the wind this summer has been crazy. It is the end of july..right?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:32 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
yep, only flying I been able to do is before noon, cause by 1:00pm its starts gusting pretty good, bad part is its not one direction....its like mini tornadoes that go swirling by, one minute its blowing southward, next second it blowing westerly...but when I am at work the wind is calm....I think Walt is do'in some voodoo on us...try'in to keep us from maidening before he does...I almost didnt fly mine today..the wind was just starting, but I made it.. so take that witch doctor

Joe