HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:28 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
wowwee! looking really cool!
next time try out spraying with MinWax water based poly in the spray can. stuff works really well and is very lite weight when sprayed, two coats on the Phantom sealed it good.
the reaction you had may not have been a reaction..lack of reaction most likely, Krylon Fusion from what I have read from the can is specially formulated to bond and fuse with plastic, my guess is the parts the didnt cure fast were coated with a non plastic based material, so no plastic no reaction = slow cure, the parts that dried fast may have been coated with a polymer base material "plastic", so they bonded and cured quickly. its just a guess I couldnt really know for sure without testing it out, I try to stay away from the "Fusion" and just get the regular Krylon.
one of my other hobbies is puppet building and I use only regular Krylon for the paintjobs...this is Woodrow, he has a "poof" can paintjob using regular Krylon

Joe
sloperjoe is online now Find More Posts by sloperjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:46 PM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
684 Posts
That is a COOL HEAD!!! The paint did dry so I am painting today. What was wierd about the Fusion was that I had primed everything with water based sandable primer? It was only the areas I covered with the SS1000 that was slow to dry..very slooowww. But that area had been primed too? I just dont know Anyway on with the paint. It had to be the SS1000 because the paint is drying good today. In the mean time I started building a twin boom park jet with the Grayson V3 combo. Thought it might be fun. I am going to take your advise on the Krylon. I did not need the Fusion (no plastic) Here is a pic of the twin boom. I will post pics of the Vixen after paint.
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:43 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Well,,, here comes the questions,,, "poof can"????? Is this your term for the lain old rattle cans??? And,,, SS1000??? What is this stuff? Lt explained the other product he was using but not this stuff..... Fantastic puppet heads Joe!! Lt, I like your little bobcat, I've got a lynx that I really like flying.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
never heard the term "poof can" before Walt?
my brother referred to them years ago by that name and I've heard it many times sinse, and thats what I have been calling em forever.. but yeah, "rattle can" is the same thing.

Joe
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:44 AM
Joined Feb 2012
684 Posts
SS 1000.....Sorry, Styrospray 1000 is the 2 part polyurea made by Polymer Industries out of Houston..The same stuff that Wow Planes sells as Liquid Sheeting. I never thought about the Bobcat....just wanted to build a twin boom Well the paint is setting just fine now. I have the white and orange sprayed. Tomorrow I will do the black accents, Im still thinking about the black. I just weighed the air frame and it is 536 grams. I am still on my 1200 gram goal.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:53 AM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
hey that is really looking cool! very nice job. is that high heat paint?...cause that thing looks real fast
Joe
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:43 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Lt, gotcha on the syro spray, I've been curious about that, Andy used some of it on his big T38. Your plane looks great, I like that orange should be easy to see! w.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 01:28 AM
Joined Feb 2012
684 Posts
Well I started this build with every intention of doing a quick (1 week or so) build of a delta EDF. But as the build has gone on I have been putting more and more detail into it, I have a habit of doing that Anyway I started out today to try and finish the paint, but I got side tracked and decided I needed to put some detail into the cockpit. I did shoot some more black but I have more to do. I ran across a set of gear I had in a parts drawer, funny how we forget we have things, along with the gear I have a set of servoless retracts...just thinkin Here are some picks of where I ended up this evening. I am talking about possible retracts but right now I am still on track for my targeted AUW. But my 1200gram weight is based on running a 4s, Im gonna run a 5
Old Jul 25, 2012, 01:45 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,590 Posts
Looking good LT. I do like the colors. Last plane I built I used neon orange/white and black pin strip. Us old guys have to have something we can see!
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:05 AM
Joined Feb 2012
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
Looking good LT. I do like the colors. Last plane I built I used neon orange/white and black pin strip. Us old guys have to have something we can see!
Thanks, I tell everyone I like these colors How are you going to finish the F86? (I havent seen alot of orange on military jets)
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:31 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,590 Posts
Check out the F-86 in the video. About 1:50 min in. Utah National Guard.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696071
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:37 AM
Joined Feb 2012
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
Check out the F-86 in the video. About 1:50 min in. Utah National Guard.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696071
Ok you got me, that is awesome! I really do like orange
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:23 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Greg, looking great here nice progress. So if it has no gear, will it be hand launch(almost all of my planes are).. If you use the retracts, is your wing thick enough? This is the problem I always run into with the retracts, that is why they are still sitting in my cabinet! W.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:36 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Oh, how is your twin boom flier coming along? I like the looks of it too. W
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:40 AM
Joined Feb 2012
684 Posts
Walt, I had planned on just hand launching it but after looking at the gear I have I thought hum, maybe. If I did alter it for gear I would need to add thickness to the underside of the wing in the sections I was going to bury the retracts. Plenty of room in the nose. I could do it, I would built the retracts in a box outside the aircraft complete, then decide the area for mounting, tape that area off , cut through the SS1000 and the paint (you can peel the SS1000 off of the foam like really strong tape) Then take a piece of 1/2" blue foam shape and taper the edges so that it blnds in with the underside of the wing, epoxy it down then cut clean holes to sink the retract boxes in, repaint those areas, run the wires,then do the same to the nose. I know I would have sections of the wing thicker than the rest but I believe I could do it and have it look like it was "meant to be" I just dont know about the added weight or if I want to go through all the trouble. The little twin boom got some modifications, I extended the tail booms. Its waiting for another coat of filler, LWS and Durhams...I like it too Greg

If I do use gear I would either make these a single wheel/tire or order a different set. The duallys would be to thick when retracted.But they look cool!
Last edited by Lt599; Jul 25, 2012 at 08:46 AM.