HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:28 PM
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Sep 2006
377 Posts
Discussion
Yet another Fox conversion

Soooo I have this fantasy about sloping a hill near where my dad lives. The slope faces east and is about 40 feet tall on the north side gradually getting shorter to the south side as it arcs through 180 degrees. Every time I go by I cant help seeing a little micro sloper going back and forth. It seems like it would be flyable with a nice micro glider that I could throw into my daughters stroller.

So I went and got myself a Multiplex Fox and threw in my old Parkzone P-51 guts with an extra servo so I could have flaps. I cut the wing tips off (don't like the up turned tips) and threw on some new depron ones sanded to an approximate airfoil. There is a single CF ribbon spar in the wing making it nice and stiff. I also threw on a huge rudder as I have read that some say rudders are not effective. Why not give it a shot. I programed in snap flaps for up elevator and spoilers for higher winds and landing although the thing seems draggy enough. We shall see. All up weight is 61g with a single cell 130mah hyperion.

I was thinking that it would be fun to slope some small urban slopes and see what is possible with a light micro sloper. I have a few other slopes in mind around town. I was inspired by the ultra micro sloper thread as well and was thinking about building a micro from scratch out of depron if the fox does not work out.
Sherlock is online now Find More Posts by Sherlock
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2012, 04:41 AM
Tobias (aka glider hangaround)
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Apr 2008
551 Posts
Looks nice, but be sure to make very small throws or it will fall out of the sky. Mine was a tipstalling demon since it had to large movements on all surfaces...
Fluffracka is offline Find More Posts by Fluffracka
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:49 AM
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Sep 2006
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffracka View Post
Looks nice, but be sure to make very small throws or it will fall out of the sky. Mine was a tipstalling demon since it had to large movements on all surfaces...
Well that's good because I can't seem to get much throw out of the elevator. How much did you end up with on yours? Where was your CG?

Thanks for the info
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:45 PM
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Sep 2006
377 Posts
Success! After attempting a test flight with reversed ailerons (the little thing you get when you buy one of the um servos is not a servo extension, its a reverser. I guess one should read instructions.) I had a successful test flight.

Gave it a good toss at a field and it flew real nice. Needed a bit of down trim and it looks like the lack of much elevator throw will not be a problem. It had good response and "popped" up nice with the snap flaps. It glided real well and flew maybe 50 yards away from a hand launch. I am real excited to get it on the slope.