HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:18 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Yep, I quit putting the cap on years and years ago... I'm guessing it contaminates the tip causing it to clog. That was the issue I had with the Mercury CA top. I tried the cap as that was one of it's selling points. CA would contaminate the pin in the cap making it useless.

Another tip: Store your kicker well away from the CA. I see a lot of guys store their kicker with the CA and end up with snotty or hardened CA within a short time.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:26 AM
Ankeny, IA
Joined May 2010
24 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for all of you input, I appreciate it. I ordered some silica gel packets as I think that will help out a lot...I've thrown away a lot of hard bottles this past year. Also looks like Zap seems to be one of the favorites so I'll have to keep my eye out for some the next time at the hobby shop.

Thanks again to everyone,
riley71198 is offline Find More Posts by riley71198
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:01 PM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,921 Posts
Some good points here.
Actually the pin in the Mercury Cap has a 200,000ths clearance and never touches the insides of the application channel. The bottle cap of Mercury bottles (look up inside) also has a special ball that interacts with the top of the nozzle to provide a moisture seal. This in addition to the screw on cap instead of the push on cap of other glues provides a moisture barrier and moisture is what causes CA to set up.

What most don't know is that if you clog the nozzle and stick a pin down it to clear it you are most likely introducing contaminants to the bottle as well as scratching the sides of the nozzle. This is will give the CA something to stick to and cause the CA to start to clog again. What we also see a lot of is if you lay the nozzle on the surface you are gluing it will pick up the contaminates on the surface and allow the glue to build up on the nozzle. The Mercury pin does a good job of clearing this but it is best to wipe off the nozzle after use or to use the Mercury extension tips for tight areas.

Lots of more helpful info is available at http://mercuryadhesives.com/MercuryFAQ.htm

When all else fails remember is the only company with an unlimited unconditional replacement program!
Hope this helps
atlav8r is offline Find More Posts by atlav8r
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:15 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,418 Posts
I use the 2 oz bottles from HK and decant into these for application http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Fine_1pc_.html
Of course to keep my stock in good condition its stored in the fridge.
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Last edited by steve wenban; Jul 04, 2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:13 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,621 Posts
Can't beat 8 ounce bottles of good ole Bob Smith-the cap is a twist off-just buy some Bob Smith applicators-no fuss, no muss, no Hong Kong blues.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:18 AM
It must have a machinegun
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,278 Posts
I'm always knocking the bottle off the bench so I need a cap. I make my own cap from a 1" length of silicon fuel tube plugged with a bit of wire or a pop rivet.
Scaledown is offline Find More Posts by Scaledown