Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:37 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Thanks man! I have tons of gws props. what size is best suited for the stock brushed motor?
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:29 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
Thanks man! I have tons of gws props. what size is best suited for the stock brushed motor?
9x4.75 slow-flyer for longer flights
8x6 slow-flyer for slightly more zippy flights.
Good luck!
I'm glad to see we made it to page 5 of this thread...
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:26 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
TY, Chino is right on on prop size. I have been flying this plane a lot and have broken at least 3 stock props. The GWS orange props seem to handle nose overs a lot better. Keep an eye on the ESC/Battery connectos too. When you plug in the battery, make sure that the connection is solid and that the servos don't chatter when you jiggle the battery wire; if they do, replace them with another type of connector, not the stock one; I had my Gamma 370 crash twice because the stock ESC/battery connector failed and I lost all control of the plane. I currenlty use the DC2 connectors on the Gamma ESC and battery as the stock batteries that I use for my Hobbyzone Firebird Stratos are the same size as the stock Ares battery and they use the DC2. The FB Stratos batteries are 1300 mah so you get a slightly longer runtime, maybe 2 to 3 minutes more. It doesn't matter what connector you choose, just make sure it isn't the stock one. Actually, I like the Gamma 370 a little better than the Super Cub when I am letting newbies fly for the first or second time because it flies slower than the Super Cub and it is way cheaper to fix in case of a mishap. When I bought my Super Cub, it was about $170.00 Bind N Fly. At $80.00 Plug N Play, it still comes out cheaper than the Super Cub as an initial investment.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:04 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Thanks so much guys. I think my neighbor got lucky on this plane. I had never heard of it and usually in the past when I told somebody to go buy a Super Cub and they came home with something else it ended up as a bad choice on their part. After reading through this thread it looks like I need to tell him about the connector issues and also about the props and he should be good to go. Dang, I want to fly his plane now :-)
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:35 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
647 Posts
Wow just read the whole thread learned a ton from you guys. My first flight with his plane I crashed pretty good and fortunately only broke the prop.Hobbytown didn't have any replacement props so I went with the GWS from eBay.I hate the orange! After reading this whole thread I feel like my first crash was a loose connection problem with the battery and didn't realize it until now.im still somewhat of a green pea flyer but I just couldn't understand why I crashed.So I feel a little better about it now. I also have had the problem with the rubber bands cutting my wing. I put some tape on the edge to layers not sure how it will work in the long run. I have only flown once since first crash I only have two batteries so not much stick time with this one yet.I did like it though, I was a little intimidated by the size. I felt a little boxed in compared to my um's that I have been flying, and that first crash didn't help matters none.I need to replace my connectors but won't be by my LHS for a while. Does any have any temp fixes so I can safely fly the next couple of evenings with out worrying about lose of power?
dbdukeboy is offline Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:39 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
Joined Aug 2012
647 Posts
Also has anyone tried spray painting the orange props?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined Jul 2012
2,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdukeboy View Post
Also has anyone tried spray painting the orange props?
Don't worry about the color for now. Just learn how not to crash.
This was/is the biggest plane I had (I have since gotten and AXN floater Jet from Hobby King) and I had 3 other UM planes.
It's size is perfect for getting out to 800+ ft and 300 feet high.
It handles the wind well and you learn about perspective at a more comfortable rate. Those UM's get squirrely real fast. Also, the Gamma will help you learn how to land.
After about 3 dozen flights you will be ready for the aileron wing.
Practice with a SIM. It pays off in spades.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
There is no temporary fix for the connectors. They either make good connections or they don't. Next time you are at the hobby shop, pick up a set of rubberbands for the Hobbyzone Super Cub; I believe they are only .99 cents. They are wider and stickier and stay on the plastic wing protector better than the stock ones. I use them and I haven't had the problem of them cutting the wing since I switched. Do not spray paint the props. You run the possibility of getting them out of balance. Chino is right, concentrate on not crashing and get those connectors replaced ASAP.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:53 AM
Newbe learning everyday!
Joined Aug 2012
647 Posts
thanks I have a bunch of super cub bands already since my super cub is dead
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:31 PM
Joined Jul 2012
2,627 Posts
Sadly and Stupidly, I fried my ESC yesterday.
after putting on new connectors on to all of my batteries and other connectors, I apparently messed one up.
On a 1300Mah 3s Venom battery I mixed up the wires and put the + on the - and vice versa.
The split second I plugged in the battery into the plane, the wires fried up toward the ESC and smoke and stench buffetted in the air.
I have a new ESC coming soon.
I hope that's all that was damaged.

I'm such a jerk.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
Hey, it happens. All part of the hobby. Nah, nothing else fried, the ESC usually is the only victim in those cases.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:49 AM
Newbe learning everyday!
Joined Aug 2012
647 Posts
I finally got some good stick time in today with my Gamma. I wish I would have went with the bind and fly though the tx that came with it is super touchy. I would like to be able to soften it a bit like I do with my um's using my dx6i. Any suggestions on how I can cheaply do this?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined Jul 2012
2,627 Posts
Order some cheap "Orange Receivers" from Hobby King.
AR610 are 6 bucks each but you will have to pay for shipping and weight about 4 weeks.
I love em!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:22 AM
Newbe learning everyday!
Joined Aug 2012
647 Posts
Thanks chino,that's all I need no speed control or anything like that? Have you ever used the tactic anylink?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:39 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
I haven't used the Tactic Anylink, but all the reviews in the magazines say it works fine. I might try one since I have 3 Tactic receivers. Also, Spektrum just came out with the AR400 RX that I currently use in my Gamma 370. It is only $30.00 and works great; I have had no trouble finding them at any hobby store. BTW - I fly my Gamma 370 using a Spektrum DX6i. Works like a dream with the AR400 RX.