HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:31 AM
Formosa/Gamma 370 Pro/DX6i
United States, WA, La Conner
Joined Jan 2013
215 Posts
I have been playing with props on my Gro.

*Stock 8x6 breaks if you look at it
*GWS 8x6 looks similar but is very noisy, can take a few hits.
*APC 8x6 Slow Fly is very strong. Need to cut shaft and install collet. Has a little to much bite. Vertical climb was reduced. Amps are most likely way up.
*Ordered APC 8x6E and will report on that soon. They appear to have a little less blade area.

Wish I had the money for a Turnigy Watt Meter!
snoking is offline Find More Posts by snoking
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:16 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoking View Post
I have been playing with props on my Gro.

*Stock 8x6 breaks if you look at it
*GWS 8x6 looks similar but is very noisy, can take a few hits.
*APC 8x6 Slow Fly is very strong. Need to cut shaft and install collet. Has a little to much bite. Vertical climb was reduced. Amps are most likely way up.
*Ordered APC 8x6E and will report on that soon. They appear to have a little less blade area.

Wish I had the money for a Turnigy Watt Meter!
Strongest of them all is the Master Airscrew.
They have an electric only prop, Glass/Fiber 8.5x6.
I've recently went to this one. Very nice.
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:41 AM
Joined Nov 2010
315 Posts
I've had good results with the EFlite 8X6 props. $6 for a pack of two and are extremely strong. Broke a motor shaft before one of these lol
iTz Nicholas72 is offline Find More Posts by iTz Nicholas72
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:10 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
dukeboy, do yourself a favor and stepup to either the DX7s or the DX8. I got my DX7s on the RCGroups classifieds for just over $200.00. I find the precision of the sticks is better than on my old DX6i and with a lipo TX pack, you will go a LONG time before it needs to be charged. I was considering supplementing my DX6i with the Orange TX, and buying a second DX6i, but I am absolutely loving my DX7s.............it is an EXCELLENt transmitter.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:32 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
649 Posts
Thanks Chuck I will definitely give that a thought. My only problem is I've been in this hobby for about 9 months now and I have 13 planes! My wife has been pretty understanding so far because she sees how much I enjoy it, but I'm really walking a fine line on spending a lot more money. I could sell one of my planes but I actually like all of them and wouldn't be able to decide on one. The only one I might consider is my super cub, but I put a lot of LEDs on it and its nice to fly on those summer evenings when the wind is dead and the sun has just set and the kids are not playing soccer! Plus I built that one from a old fm airframe, made it brushless and digital. It has the ugliest motor mount ever that I rigged up, but it works. I guess I could just be patient and start stashing a little cash away here and there. I think we may have about 6 weeks before flying season really kicks in, here in Cleveland.
dbdukeboy is offline Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:57 PM
1st to the scene of the crash
United States, GA, Dalton
Joined Jul 2012
1,146 Posts
Hi everbody, bought the ares gamma RFR model last weekend this is my second plane have the Champ also. New to airplanes but have flown helicopters & quads for sereral years. Question is and I've read this in the thread somewhere, set the ares up on my DX6I TX Ar6115e RX, seems to respond ok except throttle doesn't operate till about 50% throttle, is this normal? Have JST connectors on ECS & battery, Thanks for any imput. (yet to make maiden flight on champ or ares weather cold, rainy, & windy. Thanks again Lane
Laneritc is online now Find More Posts by Laneritc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wings & Things
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:47 PM
Formosa/Gamma 370 Pro/DX6i
United States, WA, La Conner
Joined Jan 2013
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laneritc View Post
Hi everbody, bought the ares gamma RFR model last weekend this is my second plane have the Champ also. New to airplanes but have flown helicopters & quads for sereral years. Question is and I've read this in the thread somewhere, set the ares up on my DX6I TX Ar6115e RX, seems to respond ok except throttle doesn't operate till about 50% throttle, is this normal? Have JST connectors on ECS & battery, Thanks for any imput. (yet to make maiden flight on champ or ares weather cold, rainy, & windy. Thanks again Lane
I have seen this throttle issue reported a number of times. I would call Horizon/Spektrum. Please post what the tell you, as I am sure the others want to hear the answer.

Also read this thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954175
Chris
snoking is offline Find More Posts by snoking
Last edited by snoking; Feb 19, 2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:09 PM
Joined Mar 2012
242 Posts
im thinking of getting the pro version, what kind of battery connector does it come with?
Shark_fighter78 is offline Find More Posts by Shark_fighter78
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:21 PM
United States, WA, Auburn
Joined May 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_fighter78 View Post
im thinking of getting the pro version, what kind of battery connector does it come with?
The same as the standard model, tamiya.
sean151 is offline Find More Posts by sean151
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:21 AM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2012
23 Posts
I had second complete Ares Gamma 370 and decided to hop it up a bit. But first here's a few quick tips I have in general:

- Do something to tighten up the gear, this will help the prop from breaking on hard landing's as is does not not allow the the gear wire to spread out enough to have the prop striking into the ground and breaking apart.

- Get new wheels, I got some du bro which didn't seem any bigger in diameter but are about twice the width, work much better for me, I have pavement, get bigger dia. wheels for grass.
Also I got a nice little tail wheel that it about 3X as thick, and is rubber/aluminum. Looks better anyways

My upgrades:
40A ESC
4S 1000mAh 20C battery
Stock Ares brushless motor
Prop Adapter
Stock Ares 8x6 (reamed out to fit) prop

I let a friend fly and he nose dived, there was maybe 1/4" of motor shaft, so I got this prop adapter at Hobby Town, got a super cheap 40A ESC and $8.00 4s 1000mAh Battery's that are for all practical purposes is the same size and weight as the 3S 1250's I was using before.

This thing BOOKS! And neither the ESC, BAT., or MOTOR get hot beyond what they should. I love it, got bored of my Gamma after getting a PZ T-28 an FZ F4U, but now the "Hot" Ares comes out every time as well.

Left Battery: Eflite 3s 1250 mAh 20C Right Battery: Blue LiPo 4s 1000mAh 20C

Cubieman is offline Find More Posts by Cubieman
Last edited by Cubieman; Feb 20, 2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:20 AM
United States, NM, Deming
Joined Sep 2012
405 Posts
How about links to the prop adapter,wheels and battery? I have both the stock and pro. Have got 3 flights on the stock one and have not flown the pro yet..Be glad when the wind stops, then maybe I can learn to fly these things...
cervri is offline Find More Posts by cervri
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:22 AM
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
Laneritc:

No I don't think this is "normal". I replaced the ESC and now it seems to power up with less than 1/4 throttle. I would rebind the receiver first, then consider replacing the ESC. I'm taking the damaged one back to Hobbytown today and we'll see what they do for me....
ckelly14 is offline Find More Posts by ckelly14
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:55 AM
1st to the scene of the crash
United States, GA, Dalton
Joined Jul 2012
1,146 Posts
thanks ckelly14, I think I'll try a different RX first, if not the problem will replace ECS. Thanks for responding will post update.

Lane
Laneritc is online now Find More Posts by Laneritc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wings & Things
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:06 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubieman View Post
I had second complete Ares Gamma 370 and decided to hop it up a bit. But first here's a few quick tips I have in general:

My upgrades:
40A ESC
4S 1000mAh 20C battery
Stock Ares brushless motor
Prop Adapter
Stock Ares 8x6 (reamed out to fit) prop
Cubie,
Nice Mods.
I love the idea of 4s.
I souped up my Gamma several months back 1550kv / 25amp ESC. She was wonderfully fast but found that my flight times were only about 6 minutes so I converted her back to 370 spec, 1250kv.
I also wanted to practice my landing technique so I wanted a less hot rod plane.

I like the spring/torsion thing on the landing gear. Do they track straight? I may have to try that.
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:13 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
Yeah, I understand totally dukeboy. I finally sold off my last RC car to get the Spektrum DX7s. I have now been flying a little over a year and the DX7s is the best investment in RC flight that I have made to date.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Last edited by chucksolo69; Feb 20, 2013 at 10:29 AM.