United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddballs41 View Post
A new project.
Verrrrrry interesting....
What size motors are they?
Are you going to counter rotate the props?
How did you mount them?
Nothing but questions...
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:05 PM
Joined Dec 2012
38 Posts
They are the stock Pro/brushless Ares motors.

The props rotate the same way.

They are mounted crudely. Basilcly a square dowel, sanded to fit the stock motor mount. Strips of plastic on top of the wing, so the screws do not pull thru, with two screws thru the plastic, thru the wing, and into the dowel.

I started using the stock motor because I had no idea if it would work or fly. I maidened it about three weeks ago with stock motors. I had the elev and rudder in the far out/in positions and didnt realize it. So when I maidened it, it was very touchy/to much throw. It flew.......ok......not fast enough

So I bought anothe speed control and motor, and put two brushless setups on.

Of course, its my creation, so I think its way cool, but it is very fun. My buddy who I have learned about all this with has flown it and said the same, lol.

I have flown it twice with this set up. One of the motors is off just a tad so it pulls slight to that side. It was front heavy, I had the battery in the engine/nose area. It would blast off but not lift quick. I have since put the battery in the rear, behind the reciever/speed control area, and under the push rods. I have not flown with it that way yet. To damn windy here. I used a spliter to feed it all from a 2200, 3s battery.

It has been fun and a great challenge. It is neat to see something work and fly that I designed. In reallity I just threw some ideas onto a existing airframe.

It needs a paint job. Probably red and black. A permanant wing, that is a spare wing on it now. I also need to build/retrofit engine cowls, and tuck/hide/something the wires on the wing.

Wait till you see the next project
oddballs41 is offline Find More Posts by oddballs41
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:07 PM
Joined Dec 2012
38 Posts
I forgot to add. It is very fast and sounds very menacing when it flies by.
oddballs41 is offline Find More Posts by oddballs41
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:43 PM
United States, WI, Ashland
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Well here it is on floats. Hopefully I'll be able to get a better video soon. Sure has been cold and windy lately. Ready for spring!

Gamma 370 with Super Cub floats in snow. (5 min 36 sec)
ckostac is offline Find More Posts by ckostac
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:06 PM
Joined Feb 2013
18 Posts
Anyone using this with a FlySky CT6B tx?

This will be my first time delving into planes (coming from cars), wanted to get a TX that I will be able to use longer than the typical stuff that comes in RTF boxes.

My plan is to get the RTR version (regular or pro, not sure which), with the FlySky tx/rx with a few 1300 mah 2S batteries.

Or would you guys recommend me just getting the RTF version to learn on?

Also does the tx the RTF comes in have a port to use on a sim, or with a trainer?
Conundrum4000 is offline Find More Posts by Conundrum4000
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:16 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
Joined Jul 2012
2,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum4000 View Post
Anyone using this with a FlySky CT6B tx?

This will be my first time delving into planes (coming from cars), wanted to get a TX that I will be able to use longer than the typical stuff that comes in RTF boxes.

My plan is to get the RTR version (regular or pro, not sure which), with the FlySky tx/rx with a few 1300 mah 2S batteries.

Or would you guys recommend me just getting the RTF version to learn on?

Also does the tx the RTF comes in have a port to use on a sim, or with a trainer?
Don't get the RTF version as that Tx is limiting. No trainer port, no Dual rate or expo. No model memory. Only functional with the Gamma. It's alright if the Gamma will be your only plane for a LONG time.

If I were you and just starting out with flying, I would get the base 3 channel brushed version and a decent Tx. Either a DX6i or the new HK Orange T6. After market Receivers are cheap and effective. I don't know anything about FlySky so I can't comment on that.
As you get better you can upgrade the motor and wing to a sport wing for full 4 channel flying.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:32 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
661 Posts
Hey Chino, do you have one of those orange tx's? I have too many planes for my dx6i and need another one for my 6 parkzone micros, soon to be 7 the new p-40 keeps calling my name! If this orange one would work ok at that price, the p-40 might make it to my hangar faster than I thought. So that would give me radio space for 10 micros and ten park size. At that point I will have to keep the fleet at 20. If I don't draw a line in the sand somewhere my wife surely will! Or do you know anyone else that is using the orange one?
dbdukeboy is offline Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:51 PM
Joined Jul 2012
2,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdukeboy View Post
Hey Chino, do you have one of those orange tx's? I have too many planes for my dx6i and need another one for my 6 parkzone micros, soon to be 7 the new p-40 keeps calling my name! If this orange one would work ok at that price, the p-40 might make it to my hangar faster than I thought. So that would give me radio space for 10 micros and ten park size. At that point I will have to keep the fleet at 20. If I don't draw a line in the sand somewhere my wife surely will! Or do you know anyone else that is using the orange one?
10 and 10...
WOW! I only have 13...
I have 2 DX6i's. Both purchased used on the classified here on RCgroups.
They are both older, just DSM2 and not DSMX, which is the new technology but DSM2 seems to be sufficing quite well.
I use the Orange Rx exclusively in all of my non Horizon Hobby planes. Only once had a problem and discarded that particular one. Cheap enough to do that.
As for the Orange T6, I think that if I ever went to over 20 planes, I would definately consider it.
The one thing that has me hesitant about the T6 is that the one feature that I love, the backlit display, has been problematic for a few people. Problematic to the point that you can't read the display. I think that was with the V1 and HK may have worked the bugs out.
If you want to read about it...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1759538
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:25 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
661 Posts
I've been watching the classified's on here as well, but every time there is a good deal ($100 or so) they sell almost instantly. I also have 13 planes, but I really do like the um's and at $100 they are hard to beat, and so easy to keep a few in the car for quick flights when ever. I most likely will never actually have 10 park size planes, I just don't have the room or them. The micro boxes don't take up much space at all. But if parkzone starts making brushless micro warbirds I will definitely be in trouble!
dbdukeboy is offline Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:00 PM
United States, FL, Waldo
Joined Jun 2012
23 Posts
hey ckostac, nice job on the floats! its def. at the top of my list now... did you mount them as you would on the SC or did you have to modify? move any weight around for proper CG?
linkinman is offline Find More Posts by linkinman
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:02 AM
United States, WI, Ashland
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Linkinman, I would guess it was pretty similar to mounting on a SC. However, you will need to make at least one new strut, for the back. I ended up using the back strut as the front, and then making a new one for the back. CG worked out pretty good. I've got the step about a half inch behind the cg marks on the wing(using aileron wing). I really haven't had much problem there. The biggest issue was getting proper angle of incidence, while keeping enough height. I would plan on buying a couple pieces of 3/32 piano wire for the struts. I had to get creative and used a marshmallow/hotdog stick for the rear strut as my nearest hobby shop is about two hours away. I'll also post a couple pics later, and get a measurement where I put the rear mount.
ckostac is offline Find More Posts by ckostac
Last edited by ckostac; Feb 17, 2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:03 PM
United States, FL, Waldo
Joined Jun 2012
23 Posts
Thanks for the info!... hitting up hobby town after work tomorrow to pick up a set, maybe by next weekend ill have a video of it on the water!
linkinman is offline Find More Posts by linkinman
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:39 PM
1st to the scene of the crash
United States, GA, Dalton
Joined Jul 2012
1,301 Posts
Hi guys been reading this thread from page one haven't even put mine together yet but already worried about props, just ordered 5 from hobbytown. Price reseanable $14.95 including shipping. Enoying this thread will continue reading. Thanks Lane
Laneritc is offline Find More Posts by Laneritc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wings & Things
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:55 PM
Joined Jul 2012
2,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laneritc View Post
Hi guys been reading this thread from page one haven't even put mine together yet but already worried about props, just ordered 5 from hobbytown. Price reseanable $14.95 including shipping. Enoying this thread will continue reading. Thanks Lane
If you don't mind breaking props, then just keep buying them.
But you get to point where it seems every flight a prop breaks.
Or you can use the prop saver that came with the Gamma. They look weird. But they work.
You'll cut down the prop breakage by at least half.
RCG Plus Member