HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:37 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly14 View Post
Hey guys. Had a great time flying the champ for a few months and purchased a regular Gamma with a pro on the way. Really having problems getting this puppy off the ground. First I had problems with the battery connectors but adding some epoxy to the backs that seemed to help. Cannot get the prop to spin until 1/2 throttle on my DX6. . I had one good 6 minute flight. Every other time I get a nose dive to the ground. Tried ROG but the prop strikes the ground. Many broken props.

Questions:

Where should the center of gravity be and how should I check it?
What is the best replacement prop and where should I order it?
Any more suggestions for the throttle problem with the DX6i? I tried trim, sub trim and throttle without any change.

I'm going to keep the pro in the box until I can get this flying!

Thanks for any help you can provide...
Ditto what Snoking said.
Consider using the prop saver.
It not only saves props but more importantly, it could save your motor mount should you crash in the wrong way.
On Planes that are prone to crashing or have weak firewalls, I have since gone to a prop saver setup. I don't like the way they look but it sure cuts down on the damage to the plane on less than perfect flights.
The Gamma is neither prone to crashing or has a weak motor mount but newbies are rough with their planes.
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:35 AM
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I just looked through the manual and I can't find the COG information. If anyone knows this off the top of their head or can just point me to the right page that would be helpful.

I am using the prop saver. However, when I let go of the plane at full throttle and it drives straight down, it breaks!

The ESC is a good point. I had one good flight, but had another where the plane flew only 5 feet off the ground and wouldn't climb, as well as multiple ones where the plane nose-dives.
It just seems that the motor spun faster during the good flight.

I'll take it into my local hobbytown and see if they can help.
ckelly14 is offline Find More Posts by ckelly14
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:44 AM
Formosa/VH EPP Thundebolt/DX6i
United States, WA, La Conner
Joined Jan 2013
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly14 View Post
Thanks for the info.

I just looked through the manual and I can't find the COG information. If anyone knows this off the top of their head or can just point me to the right page that would be helpful.

I am using the prop saver. However, when I let go of the plane at full throttle and it drives straight down, it breaks!

The ESC is a good point. I had one good flight, but had another where the plane flew only 5 feet off the ground and wouldn't climb, as well as multiple ones where the plane nose-dives.
It just seems that the motor spun faster during the good flight.

I'll take it into my local hobbytown and see if they can help.
In the pro manual it is about 2/3 of the way back in the manual:

Attaching the Wing
Control Throws
Center of Gravity (CG) <<<<<<<
Selecting a Flying Area

2 3/8 to 2 3/4 inches from the leading edge of the wing, measured next to the fuse.

Chris
snoking is offline Find More Posts by snoking
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:20 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
717 Posts
Well tomorrow is my day off and there is no snow, rain or wind in the forecast. Looks like I'm finally going to get to fly this one again! It's been a long time.
dbdukeboy is offline Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:46 PM
Joined Jan 2013
238 Posts
I solo'd my Gpro today. Chris
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:31 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoking View Post
I solo'd my Gpro today. Chris
Well?
how did she do?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:10 PM
Joined Jan 2013
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
Well?
how did she do?
Made four or five landings, without breaking a prop!

Now the real learning begins. Posted more details in the Gpro thread.

As a side note I was concerned about ordering parts. Place an order with the Scottsdale store over the weekend for spare props and got them today. I can not drive the 66 mile round trip for 4.99.

GWS 8X6 looks just like the Ares one without the name and numbers. Noisy at high throttle as others noted.

We painted black triangles on the lower sides of the wing, pointed forward.

Ordered a spare prop shaft, 8x6hd prop and collet from Heads Up. May make a drill press jig to drill out props for the collet.

My trainer/friend/buddy box guy thinks I will be happy with it for a long time.

Chris
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:59 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoking View Post
Made four or five landings, without breaking a prop!

Now the real learning begins. Posted more details in the Gpro thread.

As a side note I was concerned about ordering parts. Place an order with the Scottsdale store over the weekend for spare props and got them today. I can not drive the 66 mile round trip for 4.99.

GWS 8X6 looks just like the Ares one without the name and numbers. Noisy at high throttle as others noted.

We painted black triangles on the lower sides of the wing, pointed forward.

Ordered a spare prop shaft, 8x6hd prop and collet from Heads Up. May make a drill press jig to drill out props for the collet.

My trainer/friend/buddy box guy thinks I will be happy with it for a long time.

Chris
Consider a prop saver They work. Bad landings mess up the firewall, engine mount, nose, props etc.
A prop saver takes a lot of the impact energy and then and switc to a Master Airscrew G/F Prop. MAS props are nice and strong. I use 8x6.
But then again, I never used a prop saver on my Gamma. I just learned the hard way. I did put prop savers on 2 of my other planes and they are working great so I've become a believer in them.
Lately I've gotten pretty good at landings.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:40 PM
Joined Jan 2013
238 Posts
The GWS 8x6 looks just like the Ares 8x6, however it is noisy. Ares seems to break more often! Going to use up what I have then install the collet and use better props. Lots of landings this morning. Couple ROG take offs. Like hand launch better! Again had a little breeze. Chris
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:57 PM
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
hey chris dont do the drill press thing get a for real prop reamer then you have most all the sizes for prop shafts
mike
mtnmike is offline Find More Posts by mtnmike
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:44 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
Joined Aug 2012
717 Posts
Hey Chino, believe it or not I finally got the esc installed in my gamma and was able to put 4 batteries threw it today. I have to say I really enjoyed it,and once I realized the esc was good and it wouldn't be randomly dropping out of the sky it was quite relaxing. So I went home charged up a few batteries, installed he aileron wing and was ready to head back out and discovered that the wind was back :-( but I will be ready the next time the winds are down! Thanks again Chino for the esc and all the advice on this thread.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:07 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,167 Posts
Yep, Happy to help.
I never had any problems with the ESC I sent you.
BTW I would never ship out a bum piece of equipment.
Anyhows, Good luck with all of your other planes as well.
I see your name pop up on some other threads and it's heartening to know that you're willing to try new and different planes.
How is that SE5 Biplane?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:47 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
Joined Aug 2012
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
Yep, Happy to help.
I never had any problems with the ESC I sent you.
BTW I would never ship out a bum piece of equipment.
Anyhows, Good luck with all of your other planes as well.
I see your name pop up on some other threads and it's heartening to know that you're willing to try new and different planes.
How is that SE5 Biplane?
The S.E.5a is coming along nicely. I'm taking my time and really trying some modeling on this one. I've painted the cockpit, wheels, nose, motor and leading edge of the wings. I went with red, it's looking pretty good. I also modded some wheel strut covers out of Starbucks wooden coffee stirrers and painted red. It really looks a lot nicer than the wire. It has been a good winter project. I don't get a lot of time off so a little bit here and there. I think it is going to be a real relaxing plane to fly like the Gamma was today. Unlike my other warbirds that keep me on the seat of my paints. Like they say,"some times you feel like nut, some times you don't"
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:56 AM
United States, WI, Ashland
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Another Gamma video... Two 10ft streamers(one on each wing) and a parachute drop(which landed in a tree. Finally mounted some Super cub floats mounted on her last night. Already got a flight in this morning taking off and landing in the snow, and a few touch and go's. Too bad there's no video of that yet. I'll get one soon though.

Gamma 370 Two 10ft streamers + parachute drop (4 min 18 sec)

The extra drag from the streamers was definitely noticable, but I'm betting I could still pull 20' streamers pretty easily. I'll give that a try one of these days too.
ckostac is offline Find More Posts by ckostac
Last edited by ckostac; Feb 14, 2013 at 09:00 AM. Reason: .
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:27 PM
United States, WI, Ashland
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Just for the heck of it, I tried flying with the SC floats on a 2S 1300 battery. It actually flew far better than expected! Take offs and landings were beautiful. Of course it would never get off the water on 2s, but it sure was fun in the snow. I can't wait to try it on the water!
ckostac is offline Find More Posts by ckostac