HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:04 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Sep 2008
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfreak View Post
http://www.hobbytown.com/Shop/Gamma-370-Pro-RFR/

The link above should get you to the Tuscon store that has them in stock and available online. If the Gilbert or Scottsdale stores are closer to you I can arrange for them to get one ordered up for you. I know that Scottsdale normally stocks them. I do not know why it is not showing up on there store location.
Correction the link won't quite work like I thought but if yo pic the Tuscon location to shop and search AZS1252 it should pull up the plane to order.
huskerfreak is offline Find More Posts by huskerfreak
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:51 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
huskerfreak,
why doesn't Dan stock them :-) or does he?
oh wait he does! They weren't on the website a couple weeks ago. They are now.
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:17 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Sep 2008
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
huskerfreak,
why doesn't Dan stock them :-) or does he?
oh wait he does! They weren't on the website a couple weeks ago. They are now.
Yep you answered your own question. Yes they were not on the stores websites but they should be now for the most part.
huskerfreak is offline Find More Posts by huskerfreak
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:29 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,744 Posts
Husker,
Just curious.
What is your official relationship with Ares and Hobby Town?
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:47 AM
UMX Radian/Formosa/370Pro/DX6i
United States, WA, La Conner
Joined Jan 2013
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfreak View Post
http://www.hobbytown.com/Shop/Gamma-370-Pro-RFR/

The link above should get you to the Tuscon store that has them in stock and available online. If the Gilbert or Scottsdale stores are closer to you I can arrange for them to get one ordered up for you. I know that Scottsdale normally stocks them. I do not know why it is not showing up on there store location.
Got one at the Scottsdale store yesterday. Thanks

Gilbert store did not even know what it was! They are more in to car and truck racing. I think they are missing the boat(Plane) on this one.

As I posted on the Gpro thread, we flew it late yesterday afternoon on a buddy box with two DX6i's.

Chris
snoking is offline Find More Posts by snoking
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:26 PM
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Feb 2013
563 Posts
All I can say is kudos to the manager of the local Hobbytown!! As soon as I pointed out that the warranty is 90 days, he gave me store credit for the motor I bought last week. Since I already bought Hitec servos, I didn't even bother with the servo. I am very glad that he refunded me for the motor. I really prefer to support the local economy and having him do the right thing solidified my conviction to continue to support the local shop.

I also picked up a standard wing to help it fly a tad slower for my boy. I really like the aileron wing, but I think it's a tad much for him at this point. I threw a little paint on it to make it match the plane a little better. In hindsight, some low tack tape would have been better, but it's all good. Some fine line tape would have been a bit better for the top of the wing, but it will still work. It just needed some color. I used Krylon Fusion paint and it worked fabulously.

And some black on the bottom of the wing tips to make it a tad more visible when it's overhead.

roversgonemad is offline Find More Posts by roversgonemad
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:40 AM
Joined Jan 2013
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post

Yes a decent radio is must.
BTW, I have a DX6i. I always use the timer function on it but one thing that drives me crazy is that the timer will reset itself to count UP when I have saved it to count DOWN.
Anyone else have this problem?
Seems like a common glitch! Chris
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:32 PM
Joined Jan 2013
228 Posts
Couple BL motor questions. I took mine apart to check on the mounting screws. It only had one set screw and it was not tight! Sound there have been two? I put blue locktight on it and found another in a bag of junk I had and installed it also.

Next is the motor toast if you bend the shaft? If so then an adapter collet appears to be maybe better. Has anyone tried the APC 8X6 slow fly gray prop with BL 3S? Chris
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:59 PM
Joined Jul 2012
2,744 Posts
Don't fear!
The motor as a whole is not toast if the shaft is bent.
Sometimes if the shaft is mildly bent, you can shift the propeller 30 degrees at a time on the shaft and lock it in and see if that smooths out the bend. It's worked for me many times.
There should be 2 - 1.5mm.set screws for the motor. You definately need them.
If the motor shaft is noticeably bent, you can try a method that i've read about:
Take motor off.
Put the motor shaft into the chuck of cordless drill, spin the drill, slowly and bend the shaft in the opposite direction. gently. It's supposed to work. and what do you have to lose?
Otherwise:
I buy back-up motor shafts at www.HeadupRC.com. 3.17mm. about 3 bucks each.
To dislodge the shaft from the motor, you loosen the 2 tiny set screws at the front of the motor and remove the tiny C-clip at the back.
Seperate the motor into 2 pieces, the piece with shaft and casing and magnets is what you'll work on.
With a 2X4 piece of wood with a 1/2 inch hole in it, I center the shaft/casing into the hole and tap out the bent shaft with a small hammer until it dislodges.
I then carefully tap in the new shaft into the casing. Becareful not to bend it while tapping it in.
Replace the C-clip and tighten the 2 tiny set screws and you're all set.
Takes about 5 minutes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:34 PM
Joined Jan 2013
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
Don't fear!
The motor as a whole is not toast if the shaft is bent.
Sometimes if the shaft is mildly bent, you can shift the propeller 30 degrees at a time on the shaft and lock it in and see if that smooths out the bend. It's worked for me many times.
There should be 2 - 1.5mm.set screws for the motor. You definately need them.
If the motor shaft is noticeably bent, you can try a method that i've read about:
Take motor off.
Put the motor shaft into the chuck of cordless drill, spin the drill, slowly and bend the shaft in the opposite direction. gently. It's supposed to work. and what do you have to lose?
Otherwise:
I buy back-up motor shafts at www.HeadupRC.com. 3.17mm. about 3 bucks each.
To dislodge the shaft from the motor, you loosen the 2 tiny set screws at the front of the motor and remove the tiny C-clip at the back.
Seperate the motor into 2 pieces, the piece with shaft and casing and magnets is what you'll work on.
With a 2X4 piece of wood with a 1/2 inch hole in it, I center the shaft/casing into the hole and tap out the bent shaft with a small hammer until it dislodges.
I then carefully tap in the new shaft into the casing. Becareful not to bend it while tapping it in.
Replace the C-clip and tighten the 2 tiny set screws and you're all set.
Takes about 5 minutes.
I think you meant headsup.com

Is this the non theaded one you are referring to SKU: Z-100-18?

Which collet is better, set screw or clamp on ones?

Chris
Last edited by snoking; Feb 11, 2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:09 PM
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
Hey guys. Had a great time flying the champ for a few months and purchased a regular Gamma with a pro on the way. Really having problems getting this puppy off the ground. First I had problems with the battery connectors but adding some epoxy to the backs that seemed to help. Cannot get the prop to spin until 1/2 throttle on my DX6. . I had one good 6 minute flight. Every other time I get a nose dive to the ground. Tried ROG but the prop strikes the ground. Many broken props.

Questions:

Where should the center of gravity be and how should I check it?
What is the best replacement prop and where should I order it?
Any more suggestions for the throttle problem with the DX6i? I tried trim, sub trim and throttle without any change.

I'm going to keep the pro in the box until I can get this flying!

Thanks for any help you can provide...
ckelly14 is offline Find More Posts by ckelly14
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:31 PM
Joined Jan 2013
228 Posts
I have a Gpro / DX6i and throttle is instant off full down.. Manual lists CG measurement. Gpro has indicators on bottom of wing. Make a stand with two pencil size dowel rods. Put the pointed pencil erasers on the top of the dowels.

Get an experienced pilot to fly and trim it. I hand launched my Gpro the last three flights. Slight throw at slight up angle and it is up an away.

GWS 9x7' are similar. Chris
Last edited by snoking; Feb 11, 2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:38 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
658 Posts
Sounds like you might have a bad speed control
dbdukeboy is offline Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:16 PM
Joined Jul 2012
2,744 Posts
DB may be right.
Ares had better be careful and address this problem that seems to be popping up on this thread more and more. Though I never had any esc problems, I can see how a newbie can get discouraged and frustrated by mechanical design shortcomings that hamper the learning experience.
Forums such as RCgroups are invaluable for learning and passing on hints and tips. It's also a platform for disgruntled customers to voice their anger about a product that doesn't work the way it should fresh out of the box.
A major component such as an ESC should be bulletproof for the plane it is designed for. Ares needs to Man-Up to the situation and start handing out ESC's to whomever wants one at least until they get the issue under control.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChinoDiablo; Feb 11, 2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:30 PM
Joined Jul 2012
2,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoking View Post
I think you meant headsup.com

Is this the non theaded one you are referring to SKU: Z-100-18?

Which collet is better, set screw or clamp on ones?

Chris
Chris, you're absolutely right:
www.headsuprc.com
That motor shaft is the exact one. The c-clip goes on the end, not 25% of the way in. (Like this one: sku: z-100-10).
As for prop collect, I have both but like the clamp style better. I try to keep a couple of shafts and several prop collects on hand at all times. Keeps me in the air!
RCG Plus Member