HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:00 AM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
It is just like any other RC product (even e-flite) they give you an el cheapo charger just so you have something to get you buy. It works fine but slow and never really completely charges your batteries. Nobody is ragging on the stock charger but simply saying that there are much much better chargers out there.
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:38 PM
United States, WV, Charleston
Joined May 2012
12 Posts
Got a Gamma 370 Pro a couple of weeks ago, and have to say that I love the size and looks of it. Canít wait to take it up, but bad weather and a bum rudder servo is keeping me grounded for the time being. The rudder jammed in the hard left position while I was checking the control throws, and remained unresponsive to the stick. I talked to an Ares tech and he had me try a couple of things, and the rudder worked again for a minute before jamming again. He told me he would drop a new servo in the mail the next day. That was almost two weeks ago and Iím still waiting.

I know bad components slip through occasionally with all model suppliers, and I seem to have had my share. My Flyzone Sensei motor and esc both self destructed early on (twice), my PZ Carbon Cub had a bad motor right out of the box, and my PZ UM Spitfire had a servo issue. However, in these cases the customer service of both companies was outstanding, and I had replacements in a week or less, no questions asked. Guess Iím a little disappointed that Ares didnít respond as quickly, and Iím starting to wonder about them. I read one or two other posts where guys were unhappy with Ares customer service. What have the rest of you experienced with their quality control and service Ė good or bad?

Iím also thinking about installing higher quality servos in my Pro to avoid future problems. Good idea? If so, does anyone have suggestions for compatible replacements that are of reasonable quality and are reasonable priced?
Bart35 is offline Find More Posts by Bart35
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:42 PM
Joined Sep 2008
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart35 View Post
Got a Gamma 370 Pro a couple of weeks ago, and have to say that I love the size and looks of it. Canít wait to take it up, but bad weather and a bum rudder servo is keeping me grounded for the time being. The rudder jammed in the hard left position while I was checking the control throws, and remained unresponsive to the stick. I talked to an Ares tech and he had me try a couple of things, and the rudder worked again for a minute before jamming again. He told me he would drop a new servo in the mail the next day. That was almost two weeks ago and Iím still waiting.

I know bad components slip through occasionally with all model suppliers, and I seem to have had my share. My Flyzone Sensei motor and esc both self destructed early on (twice), my PZ Carbon Cub had a bad motor right out of the box, and my PZ UM Spitfire had a servo issue. However, in these cases the customer service of both companies was outstanding, and I had replacements in a week or less, no questions asked. Guess Iím a little disappointed that Ares didnít respond as quickly, and Iím starting to wonder about them. I read one or two other posts where guys were unhappy with Ares customer service. What have the rest of you experienced with their quality control and service Ė good or bad?

Iím also thinking about installing higher quality servos in my Pro to avoid future problems. Good idea? If so, does anyone have suggestions for compatible replacements that are of reasonable quality and are reasonable priced?
I saw your email and I did respond if you are the same person I am thinking of I said in the email that if it was possible to go back to HobbyTown that Ou bought and they would be more then happy to replace it or I gave you my number to call me. So I could get more information from You about your problem. Sorry about the bad grammar posting from my phone
huskerfreak is offline Find More Posts by huskerfreak
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:04 PM
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Feb 2013
546 Posts
I bought my boy a Gamma Pro for Christmas, and it's been a good plane. No real crashes to speak of, until today.... During preflight the elevator acted a little funny, but I thought it was a buddy cord issue because it went away after we reconnected the cord. Unfortunately, that was not the case. It was actually the elevator servo in the process of failing. I got the plane up to about 40' and was turning it around to put it in the wind for my boy and it went into a full dive. I cut throttle and and gave full up elevator, but to no avail... It went straight into the ground. I initially thought it was an Rx issue, but I swapped the lead around in the Rx and the elevator servo was still not acting right... I pulled it out of the plane, and it was very hot! What is really disappointing is that a trip to my local Hobby Town only netted me a $40 bill for the replacement parts (they told me it was past the 30 day warranty). The shaft on the motor was broken, the prop saver was wasted and of course the servo had to be replaced. This was the first crash this plane has had, and it was a hardware issue, not even pilot error. Based on the sounds the other servos make, I think all the ARES servos are going in the trash and I am going to replace them all with HiTec units. I think it's a good plane at a good price, but the factory servos seem to leave a little to be desired. We didn't get time to fly again today, so we'll see how it flies. I think the impact compressed the foam enough that the thrust angle is off a little now....
roversgonemad is online now Find More Posts by roversgonemad
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:41 PM
Joined May 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfreak View Post
I saw your email and I did respond if you are the same person I am thinking of I said in the email that if it was possible to go back to HobbyTown that Ou bought and they would be more then happy to replace it or I gave you my number to call me. So I could get more information from You about your problem. Sorry about the bad grammar posting from my phone
Wasn't me Huskerfreak. I called HobbyTown as soon as I had the problem. They passed me on to Mike at Ares and our discussion was by phone. No email involved.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:57 PM
Joined May 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roversgonemad View Post
I bought my boy a Gamma Pro for Christmas, and it's been a good plane. No real crashes to speak of, until today.... During preflight the elevator acted a little funny, but I thought it was a buddy cord issue because it went away after we reconnected the cord. Unfortunately, that was not the case. It was actually the elevator servo in the process of failing. I got the plane up to about 40' and was turning it around to put it in the wind for my boy and it went into a full dive. I cut throttle and and gave full up elevator, but to no avail... It went straight into the ground. I initially thought it was an Rx issue, but I swapped the lead around in the Rx and the elevator servo was still not acting right... I pulled it out of the plane, and it was very hot! What is really disappointing is that a trip to my local Hobby Town only netted me a $40 bill for the replacement parts (they told me it was past the 30 day warranty). The shaft on the motor was broken, the prop saver was wasted and of course the servo had to be replaced. This was the first crash this plane has had, and it was a hardware issue, not even pilot error. Based on the sounds the other servos make, I think all the ARES servos are going in the trash and I am going to replace them all with HiTec units. I think it's a good plane at a good price, but the factory servos seem to leave a little to be desired. We didn't get time to fly again today, so we'll see how it flies. I think the impact compressed the foam enough that the thrust angle is off a little now....
I'm starting to think about changing my servos as well, but first I'd like to get some feedback from the guys that have been flying the Gamma 370 for a while. Are the servos pretty much crap or do we just have a couple of isolated failures?
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:25 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
I think it's isolated. I flew my original Gamma 370 for almost 9 months trouble free. I passed it down to my brother and the only mod I made was changing out the Tamiya style ESC plug to an EC2 connector. It is still flying strong.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:08 PM
Joined Feb 2013
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
I think it's isolated. I flew my original Gamma 370 for almost 9 months trouble free. I passed it down to my brother and the only mod I made was changing out the Tamiya style ESC plug to an EC2 connector. It is still flying strong.
I'd like to think it's isolated, but one of the other shop employees admitted that he has seen a few Gamma servo failures lately. QA/QC can be a funny thing, and it only takes one manufacturing escape to put out a lot of bad product. Funny thing is, the book says that the warranty is 90 days and not the 30 days indicated by the manager, so I think I am going to go back and plead my case. I really hope that Hobby Town will work this out and do the right thing. I understand that RC planes crash, that's a part of the hobby, but to have one come out of the air like this is a little frustrating, especially when the cause was faulty hardware. The rest of my ARES servos are going in the garbage. I want my boys to enjoy this hobby. This is the best thing I have found to pull them away from the stupid video games, and I want them to have fun and not be frustrated by crappy hardware.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:52 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,626 Posts
I've had over a hundred flights on mine.
All but one are originals and the one that is not an original was replaced after a major crash that messed up the tail. The servo did not cause the crash. I did. I replaced that with an OEM Ares servo. So all servos are stock. No problems.
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:11 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
One must expect some hardware failures in any mass produced products. Like I said, my old one is still flying strong, and my new Gamma 370 Pro is just a dream to fly.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:32 PM
Joined May 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart35 View Post

Kudos for Ares! I'm impressed that Jamie (Huskerfreak) read my post regarding my servo issue and went to the effort to chase down my phone number and give me a call. Said my warranty request had gotten bogged down while they were revamping their system, and he was sending two replacements out immediately. While Ares dropped the ball a bit here, I think it speaks highly of them that they have gone the extra mile to find me and make things right.

Regarding my concerns about the quality of their servos, he said they are made by the same company that makes HiTec, and others, and the internals are all pretty much the same in all of them. Said their experience with their servos has been good. This puts my mind at ease and I'll be happy to finally get this little gem in the air. Thanks Jamie.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:16 PM
Joined Feb 2013
546 Posts
Just because they are made by the same company does not automatically mean same quality. An ARES servo compared to a Hitec has a distinctly different sound and the motion of the Hitec is much smoother as well. The ARES servos in my boy's Gamma sound like they are full of sand, where the Hitec is MUCH quieter. Different materials and tolerances are used to achieve different quality levels, even for parts made in the very same factory. There can be different grade levels of internal electronics as well. Are the servos similar? Yes, but certainly not the same.

As I have said, I think it's a good plane at a good price point, but there are components in it that are not as good as other parts. The failure rates on speed controls is evidence of this. As for myself, I am going to replace all the servos in my boy's Gamma. Since there has already been one failure, there is a good chance that the other servos will also experience premature failure. It's cheap insurance to replace them with a higher quality component.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:35 PM
Joined Sep 2008
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roversgonemad View Post
Just because they are made by the same company does not automatically mean same quality. An ARES servo compared to a Hitec has a distinctly different sound and the motion of the Hitec is much smoother as well. The ARES servos in my boy's Gamma sound like they are full of sand, where the Hitec is MUCH quieter. Different materials and tolerances are used to achieve different quality levels, even for parts made in the very same factory. There can be different grade levels of internal electronics as well. Are the servos similar? Yes, but certainly not the same.

As I have said, I think it's a good plane at a good price point, but there are components in it that are not as good as other parts. The failure rates on speed controls is evidence of this. As for myself, I am going to replace all the servos in my boy's Gamma. Since there has already been one failure, there is a good chance that the other servos will also experience premature failure. It's cheap insurance to replace them with a higher quality component.
So what is the failure rate of the speed controls?
huskerfreak is offline Find More Posts by huskerfreak
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:53 PM
Joined Feb 2013
546 Posts
I don't know the actual failure rate, but from this very thread I read multiple posts about failed speed controls.

Like I said, I think the Gamma is a good plane at a good price. I think the one I have has bad servos. I am not trying to attack anyone here, just saying that I had a failed servo, and the other servos also sound bad. I think it's prudent to replace them all and avoid future failures. I am sure that to get a plane like the Gamma Pro, on the market, at the price it sells for, not every single component is top of the line. That's just reality. Again, good plane, good price. I think I have bad servos. A failed servo caused the plane to crash, it's a little frustrating.
Last edited by roversgonemad; Feb 05, 2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: took out a snyde remark
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:26 AM
United States, WI, Ashland
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Huskerfreak, I guess you'd be the guy to ask... Are there any plans for production of a set of floats for this plane? If not, can anyone recommend a set? I'll probably just make my own, but more and more lately I'm just as happy buying pre-built stuff instead of trying re-invent the wheel. Thanks, Chris
ckostac is offline Find More Posts by ckostac