HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:04 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken USA View Post
Plus Chino, it's your fault I went w/ the pro. After finding this thread I watched the 2 bros videos. Then I became very interested in the Super Cub. In the end it was price/parts availability and how you guys that like the plane rave about it.
It does a lot more than I expected.
Well now it's your turn to do the ravin'!
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:03 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,012 Posts
I find the Gamma 370 Pro is the ideal plane to practice using rudder for coordinated turns. I have found myself using the rudder more and more while banking this plane. The turns look and "feel" great. Just this weekend I tried the same with my PZ T-28 Trojan. Works like a dream. The Gamma 370 Pro is definately a coup in 4 channel "easy" flying. Now we will see how she stacks up against the Hobbyzone Glasair Sportsman (sales wise) when she debuts.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:11 PM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Jan 2013
131 Posts
crashed again today.
To windy. Broke the "landing gear" and battery box.

Will have to make a run this week. This is WAY different than the SIM.
Although, I am going to put more time into the SIM and add some wind
lardo5150 is offline Find More Posts by lardo5150
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:32 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
452 Posts
well i had said earlier that i went for the cub instead of the gamma simply because it didnt have those tamiya connectors that the gamma does. also that so many people had problems with the stock esc on the gamma.

i have the cub now and i hate the fact that the stock batteries do not fit in the compartment, which irked me really bad, i am sending it back. i cant believe i have to mod a new plane just to insert the batteries.

so i am back to the gamma. i didnt want to learn to sodder to upgrade the connectors (this was the deal breaker) so i just called my local hobby town and they said they would sodder ecs or deans to the esc on the plane, and to the stock gamma batteries for only $5.00

SOLD

now im trying to decide between the pro or the rtf. i want a relaxing slow flyer, i dont need ailerons etc. but i do like the idea of a brushless motor because it gives longer run times and probably wont need to be replaced.

i keep thinking of dif combinations like buy the pro. buy the regular wing and sell the aileron wing. buy a dx4e and charger etc.
or buy the rtf and brushless motor/esc, install, sell unused stock brushed motor and esc would be a better option. that way i would have the tx/rx and brushless set up. all i would need to buy is a charger. i like this one but ive never worked on a plane. wonder how difficult it would be to install the brushless setup and take out brushed setup

so im still stuck
bradymartin is offline Find More Posts by bradymartin
Last edited by bradymartin; Jan 28, 2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:36 PM
Joined Jan 2013
452 Posts
also to those who had esc fail mid flight and lost their plane or crashed hard. was it the brushless esc or the stock esc that failed?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:15 PM
United States, IN, Hammond
Joined Jan 2013
663 Posts
It's probably cheaper to de tune the pro with a brushed motor / esc than to upgrade the 370. If you already have a radio and batteries.
As far as ease of motor swap.
1) unplug esc
2)remove prop
3) remove 3 cowl screws
4) remove 1 motor mount screw
Repeat in reverse to install
The plane is a relaxing slow flier either way. Just give it less throttle, and or use 2s battery packs.
Ken USA is offline Find More Posts by Ken USA
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:59 PM
Joined Dec 2012
38 Posts
I agree with Ken USA. It is easier to "detune" a pro. There a couple of ways of doing it though. I bought the regular Gamma. Flew and crashed, crashed some more, then one more time for good measure. Then my connectors failer. I bought all the pieces to build another. I also bought both the standard and aileron wing. When I want some spirited flying, I fly with the aileron wing, both active and inactive ailerons. When I want to glide and just have fun, I fly the standard wing. I have timed it and on a standard wing, brushless setup, 1300 3s battery, I have flown/glided 19:43. I would climb, then just glide. Do a couple of circles, then climb and glide again.

Hope this help.

I can solder plumbing, but still haven't mastered soldering electrical. If I just tried and did it, I probably could. Most hobby shops will do it, free or $$$$.

Since I haven't done it yet, I have been using automotive bullrt connectors, no problems.
oddballs41 is offline Find More Posts by oddballs41
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:11 PM
Joined Jan 2013
452 Posts
im confused.

i dont have a transmitter or receiver or batteries. im not planning to have a fleet of planes so i dont want to buy a dx6i. at most i will have a couple helicopters, the hobbyzone champ and this plane, all rtf with stock transmitters. thats pretty much it.

so im confused about detuning. did ken mean buy the pro and buy a brushed motor and esc and install in it? and sell the brushless motor that came with it? i want the brushless setup and the stock transmitter and receiver, but they dont offer it on the pro. i also dont want the aileron wing. i want the slow flying wing, i just want relaxing flights with the 2 cell batteries.
Last edited by bradymartin; Jan 28, 2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:30 PM
Joined Dec 2012
38 Posts
I just started in on this hobby middle of November. If I could do it all over again, I would do it this way.

Standard gamma rfr.

dx6.......I was going to do what you are, but it is nice to just scroll thru the dx6, pick a model, and fly away.

Get however many spektrum recievers you would need, I use the ar600 and ar400.

I would get both wings...sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. I swap out my wings every other time I fly. I "just wanted to glide and have relaxing flights". The plane is very expandable. It begs to be pushed, and pushes you to be a better pilot and is awesome to learn on.

Two 1300 3s batteries, one charging, one flying.

HiTec x1 charger and balance board. Also het some better alligator clips. The ones it comes with SUCK.

Then the brushless setup.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:05 PM
United States, IN, Hammond
Joined Jan 2013
663 Posts
Then you're all set, go RTF and upgrade to brushless later for 39.95. I got a DX7s with 3 receivers for 289.00 and the pro for 99.00. A decent charger for 60.00. I am looking forward to adding planes though.

If I were to go RTF, I'd want a better charger so I guess I'd be in it for a little over 200.00.
Ken USA is offline Find More Posts by Ken USA
Last edited by Ken USA; Jan 28, 2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:28 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post
crashed again today.
To windy. Broke the "landing gear" and battery box.

Will have to make a run this week. This is WAY different than the SIM.
Although, I am going to put more time into the SIM and add some wind
Don't just get one. Get 2 landing gear/battery covers.
Better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Sort of like a 9mm.
I'm on my 3rd landing gear/hatch cover thingy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:37 PM
Joined Jan 2013
452 Posts
Quote:
Then you're all set, go RTF and upgrade to brushless later for 39.95. I got a DX7s with 3 receivers for 289.00 and the pro for 99.00. A decent charger for 60.00. I am looking forward to adding planes though.

If I were to go RTF, I'd want a better charger so I guess I'd be in it for a little over 200.00.
what is a better charger? the stock charger should charge the stock batteries with no fuss. not sure what you mean a better charger.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:49 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,492 Posts
Quote:

Brady,
Even if you don't want more than one plane, the RTF Gamma as Ken suggested is merely adequate. The Ares radio that comes with it is just okay. no expo, no dual rates. your thumbs will have to have expo and dual rates built into them. Also, the Ares receiver will only work with the Ares Radio and that particular radio is not expandable to other models like the DX6i.
However, I think your still better off getting the pro and a used DX6i from either eBay or RCgroups (less than $100). an orange Receiver from HK or the Lemon Rx you see banner advertised on RCgroups. those are less than $10. and then you're all set.
The initial investment of good radio gear is imperative. I use ORange Rx exclusively.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
I've never used the Lemon Rx, but I think it's the same thing w/o a cover.
http://www.lemon-rx.com/shop/index.p...&product_id=65

Plus if you get the DX6i you can bind that with your Champ as well and you can get rid of that cheesy little Tx that came with the Champ.

In for a penny, in for a pound. The DX6i will give you an infinitely better flying experience than most low cost radios.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:52 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
what is a better charger? the stock charger should charge the stock batteries with no fuss. not sure what you mean a better charger.
The stock charger is sssssslllllllllooooooooowwwwwwwww.
It charges one battery at a time, taking it's darn time to do it.
A good $65 charger will charge faster and better, and will give you more info about the health of the battery.
It's not imperative, but it sure does make gettin' out and flyin' happen much faster.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:04 AM
Joined Dec 2012
38 Posts
Chino is correct, the stock charger is lame and slow. With the Hitec I have, I can fast charge in 10min+/-. You can be flying while one is charging, land, swap out, and be on your way again.