HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:14 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,961 Posts
I plan to use the Parkzone batteries I use to fly my HZ Super Cub. I have a Tamiya to EC3 connector all ready to go for that purpose. In the meantime, I fly using the batteries from my HZ Firebird Stratos, the E-Flight 1300 2s 7.4v lipo.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:37 AM
Registered User
Blusaber's Avatar
United States, CA, Walnut
Joined Sep 2006
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cervri View Post
Which 1300 mah 3s battery are you guys using in the Gamma 370 Pro?
Hi

I use the SkyLipos from HobbyPartz. They are only a few miles frm my house so shipping is fast but more importantly to me they come with the connector I have settled on the 4mm banana plug, they are easier for my numb thumb to grab but take up a lot of room, so much so I moved the battery under the wing.

So decide on your connector of choice and go that route. For me I prefer to solder a connector on the ESC once to match my batts and then get a matching para board for the charger and I am good to go

Gary
Blusaber is offline Find More Posts by Blusaber
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:42 AM
Registered User
PonyMan's Avatar
United States, LA, Pineville
Joined Dec 2012
267 Posts
Hey guys, been flying my Gamma 370 for a while now. So far so good, truly enjoy it! I painted it about 2 weeks ago - see here (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1814687), and now am considering cutting the ailerons in the trainer wing. I bought some small plastic white hinges for the ailerons. Will these be sufficient? Also how hard will it be to do this conversion? Should I use tape for the hinges instead? And I already priced the aileron wing upgrade, they want $35.00 just for the wing then you have to buy the servos and wiring etc etc. Cost gets up there. I figure cut the ailerons where they are molded in the wing already and go with that. Just not sure how to start it. How to cut the wing - straight cut through, angled etc? Any help pointing me in the right direction is greatly appreciated!

Steve

"I have two kinds of planes - those I've crashed, and those I haven't flown yet! LOL"
PonyMan is offline Find More Posts by PonyMan
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:10 PM
Registered User
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Feb 2006
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
There is no down side to the Gamma.
Props break on all planes. Landing gears get bent, Foam get scraped, CG gets out of balance. Hinges crack. The supplied connectors aren't the ones you like...the list goes on and on with this R/C modeling.
If I were to start over again from scratch (meaning no radio no planes), I'd get the Gamma Pro, a DX6i (used) and 2- 1000mah 2s and 4 -1300mah 3s bats, a Hitec X1 charger, 2 dozen XT60 connectors (eBay), parallel charging board.
A prop adapter/collet and APC or MAS props.

and I'd still spend less than if I got a Super cub+ DX6i and all those other things.
The Gamma and The Gamma Pro are steals.
Flies great out of the box. a Great plane to learn on and fly for years.
late reply here but quick question on the charger. i have a champ and a blade scout. would that charger be able to charge those those tiny batteries also? i think lipos need to be ballanced, does that charger do that also? ive been recommended to buy a watt meter. would i need to buy that also. im new to lipos and frankly im getting a headache just reading about lipo tech. ive had only nimhs in the past. also i planned originally to just use the stock charger from the gamma (its in the mail) and champ and scout, but if buying a smart charger is better in the long run, im willing to spend the extra cash.
Luisfc1972 is offline Find More Posts by Luisfc1972
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:37 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyMan View Post
Hey guys, been flying my Gamma 370 for a while now. So far so good, truly enjoy it! I painted it about 2 weeks ago - see here (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1814687), and now am considering cutting the ailerons in the trainer wing. I bought some small plastic white hinges for the ailerons. Will these be sufficient? Also how hard will it be to do this conversion? Should I use tape for the hinges instead? And I already priced the aileron wing upgrade, they want $35.00 just for the wing then you have to buy the servos and wiring etc etc. Cost gets up there. I figure cut the ailerons where they are molded in the wing already and go with that. Just not sure how to start it. How to cut the wing - straight cut through, angled etc? Any help pointing me in the right direction is greatly appreciated!

Steve

"I have two kinds of planes - those I've crashed, and those I haven't flown yet! LOL"
Hinges should work fine... I have used packing tape hinges for years and they never fail! I can't remeber but I might have some info on them somewhere on my blog from a few years ago.
Edit: found it http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871134
This shows how I cut my ailerons. (and flaps) Just run packing tape along the underside of the hinge then to it on the top as well. Works great and looks real nice too,.
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:55 PM
Registered User
United States, IN, Hammond
Joined Jan 2013
644 Posts
I'm with you Chino, that's actually a very good list of time and aggravation saving goodies. I got lucky and stumbled into some good choices.
DX7x w/3 receivers 280.00
Alum. Prop saver. 4.00
Radient Ascend charger 65.00
Gamma Pro RFR 99.00
I have read many posts detailing "dead end" purchases that allow no room to add planes/ features as interest/skills grow.
I'm glad I found this site and others like it to help me make choices that so far have paid off.
Including and maybe especially the Gamma Pro.
I maidened it (and me) yesterday. I have no prior experience, so no other planes to compare to, but this plane flies itself. It also impressed the club instructor (who admitted to me that when he saw me pull a foamie out of the car he wanted to snicker to himself). I only flew with 2s packs, so I can't wait to let him try it with some real power.

If I broke this plane tomorrow, I'd buy another immediately even though I've been bitten by the bug and my wish list is getting long. I've seen what this plane can do in experienced hands and I've had a great experience so far.

If the plane was 200.00 my enthusiasm might be somewhat tempered, but at 99.00 it's the deal of the century at a throw away price.
Ken USA is online now Find More Posts by Ken USA
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:48 PM
Registered User
PonyMan's Avatar
United States, LA, Pineville
Joined Dec 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
Hinges should work fine... I have used packing tape hinges for years and they never fail! I can't remeber but I might have some info on them somewhere on my blog from a few years ago.
Edit: found it http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871134
This shows how I cut my ailerons. (and flaps) Just run packing tape along the underside of the hinge then to it on the top as well. Works great and looks real nice too,.
Thanks Ty! I'm going to read this when I get back! Thanks again!

Steve
PonyMan is offline Find More Posts by PonyMan
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:12 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
One thing that I didn't mention is that it is important to put tape on the top side first. Just lay the wing flat and make sure the aileron is flat as well. Put the tape across the full lenth of the aileron then flip the wing over and fold the aileron back all the way. Put another piece of packing tape along the full length of the bottom then flex the aileron a few times to loosen things up. This hinge will last a really really long time with no slop.
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:17 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
ChinoDiablo's Avatar
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyMan View Post
Hey guys, been flying my Gamma 370 for a while now. So far so good, truly enjoy it! I painted it about 2 weeks ago - see here (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1814687), and now am considering cutting the ailerons in the trainer wing. I bought some small plastic white hinges for the ailerons. Will these be sufficient? Also how hard will it be to do this conversion? Should I use tape for the hinges instead? And I already priced the aileron wing upgrade, they want $35.00 just for the wing then you have to buy the servos and wiring etc etc. Cost gets up there. I figure cut the ailerons where they are molded in the wing already and go with that. Just not sure how to start it. How to cut the wing - straight cut through, angled etc? Any help pointing me in the right direction is greatly appreciated!

Steve

"I have two kinds of planes - those I've crashed, and those I haven't flown yet! LOL"
Pony,
Ty's blog is a great visual how-to for cutting ailerons. Check out page 13, post 194 of this thread for an actual stock wing conversion with flaps. You might want to do flaps at later time if you don't feel ready for them. Flaps are quite tricky to fly with if you don't know what you are doing.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:31 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
ChinoDiablo's Avatar
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post
late reply here but quick question on the charger. i have a champ and a blade scout. would that charger be able to charge those those tiny batteries also? i think lipos need to be ballanced, does that charger do that also? ive been recommended to buy a watt meter. would i need to buy that also. im new to lipos and frankly im getting a headache just reading about lipo tech. ive had only nimhs in the past. also i planned originally to just use the stock charger from the gamma (its in the mail) and champ and scout, but if buying a smart charger is better in the long run, im willing to spend the extra cash.
Both 2S and 3S batteries need a charger designed for those types of batteries. Balancing is part of the charging process. 1S batteries don't need balancing since there is only one cell. I believe the Champ uses a 1 cell battery and thus would not be usable on the Gamma. Only 2S bats on the the stock Gamma 370 and either 2S or 3S for the Gamma Pro. The stock charger for the 370 is a simple 2S charger. It will not charge. 3S battery. If you see yourself doing this for a while then buying a real charger is worth while.
I have this charger: http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
And a parallel charging board from ProgressiveRC.com.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChinoDiablo; Jan 27, 2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:40 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
ChinoDiablo's Avatar
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken USA View Post
I'm with you Chino, that's actually a very good list of time and aggravation saving goodies. I got lucky and stumbled into some good choices.
DX7x w/3 receivers 280.00
Alum. Prop saver. 4.00
Radient Ascend charger 65.00
Gamma Pro RFR 99.00
I have read many posts detailing "dead end" purchases that allow no room to add planes/ features as interest/skills grow.
I'm glad I found this site and others like it to help me make choices that so far have paid off.
Including and maybe especially the Gamma Pro.
I maidened it (and me) yesterday. I have no prior experience, so no other planes to compare to, but this plane flies itself. It also impressed the club instructor (who admitted to me that when he saw me pull a foamie out of the car he wanted to snicker to himself). I only flew with 2s packs, so I can't wait to let him try it with some real power.

If I broke this plane tomorrow, I'd buy another immediately even though I've been bitten by the bug and my wish list is getting long. I've seen what this plane can do in experienced hands and I've had a great experience so far.

If the plane was 200.00 my enthusiasm might be somewhat tempered, but at 99.00 it's the deal of the century at a throw away price.
You got the Gamma Pro as your first RC plane?
You're a brave soul!
She's a great plane.
Take offs and Landings are the most difficult part of fying.
On take off, a pinch of right rudder keeps her straight.
And on landings, use the throttle to control descent and elevator to control speed (just tiny controlled blips).
The Gamma Pro is a great setup to grow with cuz you can fly just 3 channel until you're ready to go 4 channel.
Good luck to you.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:09 PM
Registered User
PonyMan's Avatar
United States, LA, Pineville
Joined Dec 2012
267 Posts
Hey thanks Chino! A very nice clean "factory" job! I'm getting my head into this and soaking up all I can about it before I tackle it!

Steve
PonyMan is offline Find More Posts by PonyMan
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:26 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
holy cow! I can't imagine this plane with flaps. I bet it wouldn't move forward at all it is such a slow graceful flyer anyway. That would be beautiful.
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:44 PM
Registered User
United States, IN, Hammond
Joined Jan 2013
644 Posts
First plane and I'm flying 4 channel. It seems right to control throttle and yaw w/left stick, bank and elevator w/right stick. I have a lot more reading and flying to do, but I thought it best to drill good habits from the start. I've never tried hand launch, ROG provides a good feel for speed and lift.

The hardest part so far has been getting a perspective on safe altitude and distance. I "feel" (wrongly) that I'm more in control when the plane is near (low). So I'm forcing myself to trust the range of the radio and my tired old eyes and get up high and far enough to play a little.

Next time out I hope I remember to play with glide characteristics and rate of descent so I can practice the mechanics of "throttle on" landing while in the air.
Ken USA is online now Find More Posts by Ken USA
Last edited by Ken USA; Jan 27, 2013 at 10:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:10 PM
Registered User
United States, IN, Hammond
Joined Jan 2013
644 Posts
Plus Chino, it's your fault I went w/ the pro. After finding this thread I watched the 2 bros videos. Then I became very interested in the Super Cub. In the end it was price/parts availability and how you guys that like the plane rave about it.
It does a lot more than I expected.
Ken USA is online now Find More Posts by Ken USA
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Found Sky babies are ready for shipping. icharus Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 3 Jun 30, 2012 08:34 PM
Found Sky babies are ready for shipping. icharus Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jun 24, 2012 09:45 PM
Found WTT Receiver ready Raptor 30V1 for RTF or receiver ready Trex 450 Sport/Pro conefree Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 2 May 21, 2012 08:28 AM
Cool RFR (Ready For Receiver) Smashed_Toad Scale Sailplanes 18 Mar 18, 2005 07:50 PM
Cool RFR (redy for Receiver) Planes Good or Bad? Smashed_Toad Thermal 10 Mar 04, 2005 05:13 PM