SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:59 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,963 Posts
Chino, I don't think you are getting what my issue is. On all my other planes, the motor begins to spin almost immediately when I advance the throttle stick on my Spektrum DX6i. On the Gamma, it doesn't even begin to spin up until the stick is at least 45% advanced. It does this on my DX5e too. That is why I think the ESC is the issue.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:02 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Chino, I don't think you are getting what my issue is. On all my other planes, the motor begins to spin almost immediately when I advance the throttle stick on my Spektrum DX6i. On the Gamma, it doesn't even begin to spin up until the stick is at least 45% advanced. It does this on my DX5e too. That is why I think the ESC is the issue.
Chuck
The brushless motor package includes a new esc designed for the bird. Works great. I mean, since your gonna get a new esc any way, you might as well make the jump. Flights are much smoother. You won't be disappointed!
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,963 Posts
Chino, you are probably right. I just hate to make this thing too fast for the noobs that use it most.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:25 AM
Joined Apr 2005
94 Posts
@chucksolo69

Got the new bird. But have not been able to go to the fields yet with a home renovation going on. I am sure, this one would be the joy that it is supposed to be.
bamb_i is offline Find More Posts by bamb_i
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,196 Posts
Update:
Well over 50 flights on the Ares Gamma 370 with Brushless setup.
Love, Love, Love it!
It has trained me well and been very patient with me.
I, in return, have yet to crash so this bird is totally unscathed.
I can not begin to recommend this plane enough for anyone, especially a beginner.
The 3 channel setup and non aileron wing make for the most stable of flights, perfect for learning the nuances of Rudder, Elevator and Throttle.
The stock motor is just right for that arrangement (even though it is a bit noisy).
The Aileron Sport wing and brushless upgrades are most haves if you are serious about learning to fly RC.
When I did put on the Brushless motor and aileron wing, I didn't activate the aileron servo because I didn't I didn't feel I was quite ready so I flew 3 channel with the sport wing for about 5 flights and then activated them. No Problem.
The Brushless motor makes it quite a bit faster but manageable (and enjoyable).
The Gamma's size is just right.
I also have 3 Ultra Micro Planes and they're cute and all but they just get tossed around in the slightest gust of wind making for harrowing flight time.
The Gamma is small enough to fly in my neighborhood and big enough to belong on the local club's flying field.
She flies well in 10mph wind with gust up to 20 and is a good plane for learning how to fly in windy conditions. At times the plane just sits in the air at low speed. A little rudder, a touch of aileron. She's so stable.
But on wind-less days, the brushless motor comes alive and really hauls the Gamma through the air. 3s Lipo all the way!
Next move for me is to move the aileron pushrods to the next hole for increased play.
I'm dying to do some good rolls (at 5 mistakes high, of course).
I do agree with ChuckSolo that the Tamiya connectors are pretty cheesy, but they're cheap and easy to put on the batteries so for the time being I'm staying with them until I have a Catastrophic failure (like Chuck had).
The stock props break, like, all the time!
Crazy.
A gentle landing that happens to nose-in at the end WILL break the prop. Unacceptable.
I've been buying GWS 8060 props in bulk, which haven't broken as easily but seem to be having a balancing problem.
When the prop is unbalanced, it makes a terrible howl at WOT.
I have been doing the procedure of shifting the prop around the nut which seems to work when I test on the ground but in flight, especially upon quick decent, the prop begins to howl. Not every time, but occasionally.
I'm going to try EP props next instead of Slow Flyer Props.
I tried a 8X4.75 EP prop yesterday that one of the guys at the flying field donated to me and it was quite smooth but not as quick as with the 8060.

Anyhoo... I love this plane.
Too bad Ares hasn't called to have me endorse it!

ps. Sim time is invaluable if you wish not to crash your investment.
Moreover, I joined the AMA so that I could use the flying field: an approved, wide open area with fellow RC'ers who know more that you is also a huge plus.
And above all, I am having a GREAT time flying and I'm getting to the point of forgetting that everything costs MONEY,MONEY, MONEY....
also, because I have already purchased everything I will need for the next several YEARS of flying...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChinoDiablo; Aug 16, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,963 Posts
I agree that the Ares Gamma 370 is a fine trainer. I always include it in all my recommendations along with Hobbyzone's Champ, Firebird Stratos and Super Cub. The Gamma 370 can be everybit as good as those planes once the connector issue is addressed. I love my Gamma 370 and enjoy flying it with the other trainers I recommend and also with my 4+ channel warbirds. It is a really nice, fun, plane.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:25 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
I agree that the Ares Gamma 370 is a fine trainer. I always include it in all my recommendations along with Hobbyzone's Champ, Firebird Stratos and Super Cub. The Gamma 370 can be everybit as good as those planes once the connector issue is addressed. I love my Gamma 370 and enjoy flying it with the other trainers I recommend and also with my 4+ channel warbirds. It is a really nice, fun, plane.
Chuck, what is your Tx setup?
I bought the RTF and Tx is okay but no expo and no half rates so I've been learning on full rates. It's taught me to be gentle with the sticks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,963 Posts
I have a Spektrum DX6i and am using a Spektrum AR400 RX in my Gamma 370. I don't have any dual rates set on this plane as she is pretty docile, but with your setup, aileron wing and brushless, I would use 60% aileron and rudder and 75% elevator. I use these settings on my Flyzone Focke-Wulf FW 190 Select Scale, Cessna 182 Skylane Select scale and my Parkzone T-28 Trojan. Works like a dream. I never use expo as I have stick control down from 6+ years as an RC Heli pilot. Upgrading to a computer radio is the best thing I did in this hobby. The DX6i is an excellent beginner TX. At $160.00 for the TX only, it is a bargain. Until August 31st, Spektrum has the DX6i bundled with 3 receivers. I got mine that way for $190.00 out the door at www.AmpDraw.com in Encinitas, CA.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:01 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,196 Posts
Yep,
The Ares Gamma 370 is my Go-To plane...
When I feel the need to warm up the RC thumbs, I usually start with the Gamma.
However, I didn't do that this morning when I tried to re-maiden my HH Carbon Cub.
All thumbs, into the dirt, broken wing.
I fixed the Cub's broken wing, went back to the field but not w/o flying the Gamma first.
3 batteries, hi-power 3s 1300's, great loops, nice rolls, 2 perfect landings.
The Gamma really makes me feel like I know what I'm doing.
After those flights I felt I was ready to tackle the UMX Carbon Cub which is a more difficult plane to fly.
And I was. Thanks to the warm up...
You'd think that being a High Winger with AS3x gyros and such the CC would be easy.
Nope. It's definitely an intermediate plane. Lots of rudder for steering, easy to stall. gotta watch it.
The Gamma is tough as nails and flies like a pattern ship.
I love it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:37 PM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Mar 2011
173 Posts
Where can I find the Receiver Ready AZS1202 version? I've looked everywhere via google & can't locate this version to purchase. I've even messaged Jason M. w/ no success. Thanks, Jim
NorCal is offline Find More Posts by NorCal
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,963 Posts
I got mine at the Hobbytown in Temecula CA.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
Where can I find the Receiver Ready AZS1202 version? I've looked everywhere via google & can't locate this version to purchase. I've even messaged Jason M. w/ no success. Thanks, Jim
Hobbytown USA is the exclusive distributor.
You can order online and they will deliver.

There's a Folsom Location and a Rocklin, CA location... check them out.

http://www.hobbytown.com/Shop/-Ares-...For-Receiver)/

79.99 / a bargain as a beginners plane.
get the brushless upgrade / aileron sport wing: 39.99 / 29.99
install when you feel ready.
extra props: 1.99, order extra, you'll need them.

I feel like Chuck and I are the only ones out there talking about this bird.
Toka100 has a great youtube vid that practically sold me at first site.

see previous threads.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,196 Posts
Chuck,
I converted all of my batteries to XT60 connectors.
I'm done with Tamiya.
After about 12 batteries, I got pretty proficient with the soldering process.

Also, I started using EP props, 8x6... no balancing problems at high revs.
I got a watt meter and will check watts to see if it's in line.
Very quick in the air.

Also got to thinking that if/when you make the brushless jump with the Gamma,
you can control speed with your prop/battery setup for those newbies who want to crash your plane...
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:28 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Hey guys,
My neighbor boy bought this plane yesterday after I told him to buy the Super Cub :-) He taught himself how to fly on the Champ so he was convinced that he was ready for a bigger plane. I know nothing about this bird except that he tried to fly it and came back 10 min later with a broken prop. I told him that he should have bought a few extra when he got the plane. Anyway, is there another prop that you have found works better or would you recommend that he replaces it with the stock prop? Thanks guys. I can't wait until he gets it going again so I can get it all trimmed out for him. Hopefully that will prevent a few future crashes. He got ahead of himself this time. ha ha
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
Hey guys,
My neighbor boy bought this plane yesterday after I told him to buy the Super Cub :-) He taught himself how to fly on the Champ so he was convinced that he was ready for a bigger plane. I know nothing about this bird except that he tried to fly it and came back 10 min later with a broken prop. I told him that he should have bought a few extra when he got the plane. Anyway, is there another prop that you have found works better or would you recommend that he replaces it with the stock prop? Thanks guys. I can't wait until he gets it going again so I can get it all trimmed out for him. Hopefully that will prevent a few future crashes. He got ahead of himself this time. ha ha
The Stock props break like crazy.
GWS slow-flyer props will work as well. some are orange. Buy 6 at a time.
I'm much better at landings now so I haven't broken many props lately.
Knock on wood
RCG Plus Member