HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:00 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,885 Posts
A simple solution is to get an adapter like a Tamiya to EC3, Deans, etc., and then tape the Tamiya connectors together with hinge tape. I did this and haven't had any issues in the almost 50 flights I have on my new Gamma Pro. The main issue with the Tamiya connectors is the constant plugging and unplugging. They will wear out and become unreliable over time. If you permanently connect them, they should work fine for a long time since neither of those batteries is really going to cause an overheating problem. I just plugged them in and taped them together with a couple of loops of hinge tape. Very strong connection.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:40 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
A simple solution is to get an adapter like a Tamiya to EC3, Deans, etc..
An even better idea.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:47 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
449 Posts
maybe a dumb question but if i plan to use only the batteries that come stock with the rtf, do i really need to get an adapter plug or get new connectors? if so, what connectors do i need to get soddered on the batteries, esc? i plan to buy the thunder ac680 charger but i dont know what connectors that uses.

*edit* also can you point me to the gws props? i dont care if theyre orange i just dont want to breaking props all the time. the stock ones from i read seem to be extremely weak.
bradymartin is offline Find More Posts by bradymartin
Last edited by bradymartin; Jan 23, 2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:23 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,885 Posts
Trust me, it is essential. Why? Because the stock Tamiya/Molex connectors are probably the worst connectors ever conceived. I guaranee you that the constand plugging and unplugging the battery from the ESC will eventually open up the contacts and cause poor connection..............this is a crash waiting to happen. Happened to me twice before I realized the connectors were not making good contact. There are adapters for the Tamiya connector that changes the ESC connector from Tamiya to Deans, EC2, EC3, etc. On my new Gamma 370 Pro I got the Tamiya to EC2 and EC3 and just tape the two Tamiya connectors together using hinge tape. This makes it so you aren't constantly plugging and unplugging the battery using the Tamiya connector. Definately get the connectors on the battery changes as well. on the stock 1000 mah 2s 7.4v Ares battery, I changed to EC2. However, I also use the E-Flight batteries that power my Hobbyzone Firebird Stratos in my Gamma 370 Pro. They are 2s 1300 mah 7.4v batteries and give you a 3-4 more minutes of run time over the stock Ares battery. They too have the EC2 connectors already installed and are only 4 bucks more than the stock Ares 1000 mah battery. I think it is a better battery too.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:43 PM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,114 Posts
Hello everyone,

For those breaking props or worried about breaking props, please keep in mind that ALL Gamma 370 airplanes INCLUDE a 'Prop Saver'. It may not look great when it's installed (which is why it's optional-use....but if you're a new or low-time pilot you SHOULD use it!), but whether you use stock or GWS props it will help keep the prop from breaking and prevent bending the gearbox/prop shaft. Seems like most people here are not using the prop saver because even when I intentionally try to break a stock prop while using the prop saver, most of the time I can't (in fact I've broken the prop saver itself before breaking the prop or bending the shaft!)! GWS props are not much if any more durable than the stock props, so unless you modify the gearbox/prop shaft to accept a prop adapter and install an APC 'slow flyer' or other 'more durable' prop you won't see much or any difference in durability.

And FWIW, I understand that the Tamiya/Molex connector is not as good as Deans Ultra Plugs, E-flite EC2/3 connectors, etc (at least when those connectors are properly installed). However, I've personally used it for hundreds of flights with no issue as have many thousands of other Gamma 370 owners. And while some small percentage of the Tamiya/Molex connectors may exhibit problems/failures, I've experienced and witnessed failures of factory-installed Deans Ultra Plug and E-flite EC2/3 connectors too. That said, if I had to choose, I'd go with Deans Ultra Plug connectors that I install myself over any other connector (and I typically remove EC2 and EC3 connectors on products that include them....those connectors are far from superior to a properly installed Deans Ultra Plug and are much more difficult to install yourself if need be).
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jason M; Jan 23, 2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:00 PM
Joined Dec 2012
38 Posts
Some might not agree, but it works for me. I use a automotive bullet connector. No soldering. It has worked well for me.
oddballs41 is offline Find More Posts by oddballs41
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:49 PM
Joined Dec 2012
38 Posts
I forgot to say. If you use a auto connector, put one female, one male. Then you wont burn up a esc.
oddballs41 is offline Find More Posts by oddballs41
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:58 PM
Joined Jul 2012
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
maybe a dumb question but if i plan to use only the batteries that come stock with the rtf, do i really need to get an adapter plug or get new connectors? if so, what connectors do i need to get soddered on the batteries, esc? i plan to buy the thunder ac680 charger but i dont know what connectors that uses.

*edit* also can you point me to the gws props? i dont care if theyre orange i just dont want to breaking props all the time. the stock ones from i read seem to be extremely weak.
If you plan to stay with the stock connectors, it's a good idea to have extra of thesame connectors on hand for future use.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:15 PM
Joined Jan 2013
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Trust me, it is essential. Why? Because the stock Tamiya/Molex connectors are probably the worst connectors ever conceived. I guaranee you that the constand plugging and unplugging the battery from the ESC will eventually open up the contacts and cause poor connection..............this is a crash waiting to happen. Happened to me twice before I realized the connectors were not making good contact. There are adapters for the Tamiya connector that changes the ESC connector from Tamiya to Deans, EC2, EC3, etc. On my new Gamma 370 Pro I got the Tamiya to EC2 and EC3 and just tape the two Tamiya connectors together using hinge tape. This makes it so you aren't constantly plugging and unplugging the battery using the Tamiya connector. Definately get the connectors on the battery changes as well. on the stock 1000 mah 2s 7.4v Ares battery, I changed to EC2. However, I also use the E-Flight batteries that power my Hobbyzone Firebird Stratos in my Gamma 370 Pro. They are 2s 1300 mah 7.4v batteries and give you a 3-4 more minutes of run time over the stock Ares battery. They too have the EC2 connectors already installed and are only 4 bucks more than the stock Ares 1000 mah battery. I think it is a better battery too.

i really dont want to sodder anything so i want to do what you did. or maybe if i call my local hobby town they would sodder new connectors for an extra fee?

i will be buying the thunder ac680

http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html

i have no idea what adapters i need. i assume i need one for the esc to battery, and another to charge the stock gamma 370 batteries with this charger. is this possible?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:24 PM
Joined Jan 2013
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
If you plan to stay with the stock connectors, it's a good idea to have extra of thesame connectors on hand for future use.
i want to use the same connectors the ac680 uses. right now im still not sure if i want to sodder those connectors on everything or just get adapters.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:38 AM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
I would simply like to add that the stock connectors really do stink. The biggest reason they fail is because the wire gets pushed out through the back of the connector when you push the 2 connectors together. You don't always know this happens and sometimes don't find out until the connection is lost when you are in the middle of flight. Then the plane goes down! I have an older charger that came with the same connectors and they also produce a lot of heat which means that they aren't very efficient. Anyway, I lost a Super Cub because of these connectors and I have had problems with them off and on since I started flying 6 or 7 years ago. As a matter of fact I had problems with them on my rc trucks about 9 years ago and I remember they guys at Hobby Town saying that those connectors were the worst part of RC at the time. I don't like to complain about things... I am not really complaining I guess. I just feel like I need to do my part and let others know the experience that I have had with them so they don't have those same experiences. :-)
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:19 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,885 Posts
Jason, you've just been lucky. Those things fail and will do so at the most inopportune time. Change them out. I have never had an EC2 or EC3 connector fail on me. Dean's either. I had the Tamiya plugs fail in both airplanes and cars.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:09 PM
Joined Jul 2012
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
i want to use the same connectors the ac680 uses. right now im still not sure if i want to sodder those connectors on everything or just get adapters.
The charger probably has a deans, XT60, EC3 or EC5 lead that you will need to use/convert to what the type of connector you choose.
I, too, was apprehensive about the whole soldering thing.
Now, it is not a big deal. It just takes some practice.
http://www.amazon.com/Ship-Connecotr...xt60+connector
http://www.amazon.com/Connectors-3-5...=ec3+connector
http://www.amazon.com/Ship-Female-Co...eans+connector
Use rosin core solder only.
http://www.amazon.com/Rosin-Core-Sol...in+core+solder
Something like this helps a lot when soldering
http://www.amazon.com/SE-MZ101B-Help...d_sim_sbs_t_15
but you could make a clothes pin jig quite easily.
A soldering iron:
http://www.amazon.com/60-Watts-Solde...soldering+iron
and I use a scrungee sponge cut into a quarter that I set into water to clean the tip of the soldering iron each time I use it.

Once you've converted your batteries and ESC on the plane(s), you can get a parallel charging board like this from Progressive RC:
http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...r-and-ec3.html
http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...uest-xt60.html
http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...er-t-plug.html
And then you can charge up to 6 batteries at a time, all of them the same Cell count (all 2s or all 3s but not a combination of the two when charging).
Good Luck!
-Patrick
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:16 PM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Jan 2013
131 Posts
Plane just showed up.
Anyone recommend a good foam safe epoxy?
lardo5150 is offline Find More Posts by lardo5150
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:33 PM
Joined Jul 2012
2,950 Posts
Why do you need that?
Foam Safe CA is great but with an accelerator it's even better
Gorilla glue works but you must be careful with how much you use because it foams up.
RCG Plus Member