HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:59 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
ChinoDiablo's Avatar
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckostac View Post
Ok, so I just went ahead and did it. Here's the video too....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkTwf...ature=youtu.be
Is it strong enough to hold a water balloon?
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:16 PM
Right Rudder
PittSpecial's Avatar
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
Is it strong enough to hold a water balloon?
Perhaps a tiny one In a form of a hotdog!
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:52 PM
Registered User
ckostac's Avatar
United States, WI, Ashland
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
I bet if you used a piece of cloth or something to make a cradle sort of thing(kinda like on a slingshot) to help support it, it would probably work.
ckostac is offline Find More Posts by ckostac
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:50 PM
Registered User
ckostac's Avatar
United States, WI, Ashland
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
The parachute drop... Goofy goes skydiving!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=KjuLX_o2N4k
ckostac is offline Find More Posts by ckostac
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:56 PM
Registered User
Duncanville, TX
Joined Sep 2010
111 Posts
Confusion re: mounting tail section or I think I'm getting senile

I am currently assembling my new Gamma 370 and have a question regarding mounting the tail section. The instructions says "Now you can slide the two 2x8mm 'button'(small)head screws into the recessed openings in the mount and tighten them securely". "Slide"??? Not sure how you "slide" them into the openings. The only way I can see getting these tiny screw into the openings is with a magnetic screwdriver!! I wondering if I'm getting too old and senile to understand instructions anymore. You comments and help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Don
king1522 is offline Find More Posts by king1522
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:04 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by king1522 View Post
I am currently assembling my new Gamma 370 and have a question regarding mounting the tail section. The instructions says "Now you can slide the two 2x8mm 'button'(small)head screws into the recessed openings in the mount and tighten them securely". "Slide"??? Not sure how you "slide" them into the openings. The only way I can see getting these tiny screw into the openings is with a magnetic screwdriver!! I wondering if I'm getting too old and senile to understand instructions anymore. You comments and help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Don
When I assembled my 370 I remember what your talking about. Just turn it upside down and a small screwdriver should guide the screws right in. They are self tapping.
Maybe this will help.
flgamma is offline Find More Posts by flgamma
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:17 PM
Registered User
ckostac's Avatar
United States, WI, Ashland
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by king1522 View Post
I am currently assembling my new Gamma 370 and have a question regarding mounting the tail section. The instructions says "Now you can slide the two 2x8mm 'button'(small)head screws into the recessed openings in the mount and tighten them securely". "Slide"??? Not sure how you "slide" them into the openings. The only way I can see getting these tiny screw into the openings is with a magnetic screwdriver!! I wondering if I'm getting too old and senile to understand instructions anymore. You comments and help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Don
"drop" them in would have probably been better wording. All I did was drop the screws in and tighten with a small screwdriver. But yeah, you're right. A magnetic screwdriver would have certainly been helpful.
ckostac is offline Find More Posts by ckostac
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:47 PM
Registered User
Duncanville, TX
Joined Sep 2010
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckostac View Post
"drop" them in would have probably been better wording. All I did was drop the screws in and tighten with a small screwdriver. But yeah, you're right. A magnetic screwdriver would have certainly been helpful.
Thanks for the reply. That's kind of what I suspected but the instructions was kind of vague. First I was looking for longer screws like those that held the tail section on my Supercub. ( or the pieces of it that are left!!)
king1522 is offline Find More Posts by king1522
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:54 PM
txflyer
United States, TX, Aledo
Joined Jan 2013
97 Posts
What response time are you guys getting from ares? I havnt heard anything back yet
amrmatt is offline Find More Posts by amrmatt
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:19 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
38 Posts
Yes, I am running brushless. I think it may be that we are just pushing the planes to hard. The aileron wing seems to hold up better, but I have all my lights in the standard wing.....booooooo.

Very neat drop device, works well. Now I just need to find a long enought fuse for........oh nevermind.

The tail section is a pain in the tookus. Between me and my buddy we have put seven of these planes together. The tail section is always the hardest to get to line up as well.

amrmatt.....What do you mean response time?
oddballs41 is offline Find More Posts by oddballs41
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:19 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
38 Posts
Opps, also meant to ask if anyone is or knows what three blade can be run on the Gamma.
oddballs41 is offline Find More Posts by oddballs41
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:20 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Jan 2013
131 Posts
Does the RFR version come with a battery?
Mine should be by the weekend.
If it does not come with a battery, can I just purchase any 3s 1300mah battery such as this one:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

Does it require an extra purchase for a special connector?
lardo5150 is offline Find More Posts by lardo5150
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:37 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
ChinoDiablo's Avatar
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post
Does the RFR version come with a battery?
Mine should be by the weekend.
If it does not come with a battery, can I just purchase any 3s 1300mah battery such as this one:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

Does it require an extra purchase for a special connector?
No, it doesn't come with a battery.
Yes, the battery you selected, and any other battery you select, will need to be modified for the kind of connector you wish to proceed with. Anything but Tamiya.
http://rc-connectors.com/
This is a major part of the hobby. Be prepared. You will need to order female and male ends of the connectors.
Also, when snipping the battery wires from the connectors, be careful to not snip both at the same time or else you'll get a jolt that you're not ready for.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:42 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Jan 2013
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
No, it doesn't come with a battery.
Yes, the battery you selected, and any other battery you select, will need to be modified for the kind of connector you wish to proceed with. Anything but Tamiya.
http://rc-connectors.com/
This is a major part of the hobby. Be prepared. You will need to order female and male ends of the connectors.
Also, when snipping the battery wires from the connectors, be careful to not snip both at the same time or else you'll get a jolt that you're not ready for.
Ok thanks. Excuse my ignorance though, how do I know what connectors to get? I checked that site you linked to and assumed it should be ares connectors but did not see those.
lardo5150 is offline Find More Posts by lardo5150
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:40 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
ChinoDiablo's Avatar
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post
Ok thanks. Excuse my ignorance though, how do I know what connectors to get? I checked that site you linked to and assumed it should be ares connectors but did not see those.
There are over a dozen different types of connectors out there.
Some are more heavy duty than others, some are lighter weight than others.
Most all of them require soldering of some type.
If you don't want to solder there are some specialty connectors crimp and snap together pretty solidly (unlike the standard "Tamiya" type that comes with the Gamma). Tamiyas will work for a while but will also un-work themselves loose at the most inopportune times. The one thing the Tamiya connector has going for it is that it doesn't require soldering. Just make sure you crimp the connectors on tightly and with the right polarity. If you check them regularly you might be able thwart any loose connections.
When I first started out in this hobby 9 months ago, soldering was a daunting task.
Now it's easy and necessary. A soldering jig is helpful.
http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-7521-He...oldering+stand and you will want to use this kind of solder http://www.amazon.com/Alpha-AT-31604..._bxgy_hi_img_y not the lead free stuff. There are many bids on YouTube.
btw, I use XT60 connectors. Got 'em off eBay cheap.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Found Sky babies are ready for shipping. icharus Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 3 Jun 30, 2012 09:34 PM
Found Sky babies are ready for shipping. icharus Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jun 24, 2012 10:45 PM
Found WTT Receiver ready Raptor 30V1 for RTF or receiver ready Trex 450 Sport/Pro conefree Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 2 May 21, 2012 09:28 AM
Cool RFR (Ready For Receiver) Smashed_Toad Scale Sailplanes 18 Mar 18, 2005 08:50 PM
Cool RFR (redy for Receiver) Planes Good or Bad? Smashed_Toad Thermal 10 Mar 04, 2005 06:13 PM