HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:57 PM
Joined Jan 2013
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
Yesterday I did the total upgrade on the Ares Gamma 370: brushless motor, 3s 1300mah 20c battery, aileron wing.
After about a dozen flights on the trainer wing, the stock brushed motor shaft got imperceptably bent somehow and the props were unbalanced.
Low power, 30 second flights.
I had trouble putting on a replacement shaft so I decided to go ahead and do the Brushless motor upgrade since I had already purchased it.
Once the the brushless motor is mounted, there is no going back to the stock motor since you have to do some cutting of the plastic firewall "beak" that is attached to the fuselage.
I flew about a 5 flights with the stock wing and then decided to put on the aileron "sport" wing but I didn't activate the servo cuz I felt I wasn't quite ready for 4 channel action.
The aileron wing is about 4 inches shorter and has less dihedrial than the stock wing so the plane is a bit more responsive and quicker flying.
6 or so flights later, I activated the servo, and practiced on the Phoenix 4 Sim to make sure I knew what I was doing.
The practice really pays off especially with landings.
As they say: "It's optional to put the plane in the air, but it's mandatory to land it."
I love this plane.
I haven't crashed it yet or flown it into any houses, trees or cars (yet)...
I changed the wheels to 2.75 inch superlights for better handling on the flying field.
I seem to land nose-in each and every time.
I've busted a dozen props. all from slow landings. cheapo stock props. Going to GWS props...
I've broken the battery cover/landing gear holder.
I had my kids paint it with some flourescent tempra paint to give them something to do on a rainy day and also to have better visibility in the air. That was about a month ago. Luckily, the paint peels off and I have it looking more stock exept I've applied some colored electrical tape stripes on the wing, elev, and fuse, again, for better visibility in the air.
So yesterday, I took the Gamma to the local school yard overlooking the Blue Ridge Mountains.
3s 1300mah 20c battery in hand.
Fired her up.
and like a sling shot, this thing took off like a rocket compared to the the 2c battery.
It took a couple of minutes to get used to the speed, but with enough altitude, I started doing some basic aerobatics, rolls, loops, spins and it kinda looked like I knew what I was doing...
I timed myself for a 6 minute flight and after 3 minutes of strong flight, I backed off and just did some nice cruising.
Came in for a beautiful landing.
No busted props or anything... Great!.
Unfortunately my daughter stepped on bee in her bare feet so the rest of flying day was cut short.
Oh well. My daughter is alright and I got to experience some strong high speed flying.
I love this plane and think i will be flying it for a while.

Now I just need to understand how to "break-in" my new batteries.
Sorry if I'm digging up an old thread here but where on Phoenix were you able to find the Ares 370 model? Or did you practice on something else?
Kayak83 is offline Find More Posts by Kayak83
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:13 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak83 View Post
Sorry if I'm digging up an old thread here but where on Phoenix were you able to find the Ares 370 model? Or did you practice on something else?
I used the super cub as my 3 channel trainer and the PZ T-28 and the Multiplex Mentor as my 4 channel trainers.
A simulator is not the real thing. But it's as real as gets w/o spending $$$ on crashes. When you can do 10 perfect landings with a sim then you are close to being ready to doing a semi good landing in real life. A sim is merely exercising your muscle memory to do what you want the plane to do. It's an excellent learning tool.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:25 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Feb 2006
399 Posts
ok im done with reading and watching videos about super cub, firebird stratos and the gamma. ive decided on the brushed rtf since all i want is slow relaxed 3 channel flight. i will add another battery or two to my cart, anything else crucial i should add? im trying to keep this under $200 or else i might as well just get the cub.
Luisfc1972 is offline Find More Posts by Luisfc1972
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:25 AM
Plano, TX
Joined Feb 2007
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post
ok im done with reading and watching videos about super cub, firebird stratos and the gamma. ive decided on the brushed rtf since all i want is slow relaxed 3 channel flight. i will add another battery or two to my cart, anything else crucial i should add? im trying to keep this under $200 or else i might as well just get the cub.
5-6 props. I dont know how much the batteries are - but at Hobbypartz - a very similar 1000mah 2s 25c lipo is $5.50. I just bought
2 - they shipped out next day and shipping is $5.00
bbking9 is offline Find More Posts by bbking9
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:36 AM
txflyer
United States, TX, Aledo
Joined Jan 2013
97 Posts
Im picking this up as a 5th plane tomorrow. Im getting the pro. How short will the pro land? I may have to fly it elsewhere. I only have 140 foot safe landing strip at home including the decent. I sold a nice plane to a member here to fund this plane. Cant wait to test it. Im going with 2s batts . Im planing on buddy boxing it with my son as his first non night vapor flying
amrmatt is offline Find More Posts by amrmatt
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:51 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Props.
The 9x4.75 will give you a nice leisurely flight about 10-12 min long,1000mah 2s.
Get 4 or 5 of them.
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Edit: oops, I see BBking said the same thing about the props...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:54 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Feb 2006
399 Posts
Quote:
Props.
The 9x4.75 will give you a nice leisurely flight about 10-12 min long,1000mah 2s.
Get 4 or 5 of them.
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
im not sure if maybe im reading it wrong but prop you recommend is not on hobby town website. i have 5 of these in my cart right now. wondering if these are the ones you are talking about. they are 9X7 and other option is 8X6 i think. you say 9x4.75?

http://www.hobbytown.com/Templates/L...&id=4295135980
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:59 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,492 Posts
Quote:
im not sure if maybe im reading it wrong but prop you recommend is not on hobby town website. i have 5 of these in my cart right now. wondering if these are the ones you are talking about. they are 9X7 and other option is 8X6 i think. you say 9x4.75?

http://www.hobbytown.com/Templates/L...&id=4295135980
Luis, it's been such a long time since I've flown a 2s bat in the Gamma that I really don't remember what the pitch was. What I do remember was the salesperson telling me that the 9 inch prop gives longer flight times, the 8 inch props give a more "spirited" flight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:05 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrmatt View Post
Im picking this up as a 5th plane tomorrow. Im getting the pro. How short will the pro land? I may have to fly it elsewhere. I only have 140 foot safe landing strip at home including the decent. I sold a nice plane to a member here to fund this plane. Cant wait to test it. Im going with 2s batts . Im planing on buddy boxing it with my son as his first non night vapor flying
If you start your decent early enough you can float in nicely in that space.
With 3s bats, it might be a bit more tricky.
It seems counter intuitive but I'm practicing what pros here on RCG say about landing a plane: use the throttle to control decent, elevator to control speed.
It's harder than you think.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:10 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Feb 2006
399 Posts
Quote:
Luis, it's been such a long time since I've flown a 2s bat in the Gamma that I really don't remember what the pitch was. What I do remember was the salesperson telling me that the 9 inch prop gives longer flight times, the 8 inch props give a more "spirited" flight.
ahh ok since i want the plane to fly as slow as possible ill stay with the 9X7s i have in my cart.

gracias
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:39 AM
Joined Dec 2012
38 Posts
WOW, it became busy in here, SWEET.

ckostac......how did you make the drop mech......pics?????

luisfc1972.......sound like you are figuring it out. Props...props....and more props. I would say in the 2+ months I have been flying, almost everyday, I have went thru 50+ props. One of the reasons is the hobby shop runs out of any 9 props, and then I have to buy and run 10 props. Concerning which prop, I think depend on your setup......stock motor vs brushless vs eflight/other brand of motor. I have used a whole bunch of different props on the brushless motor and also on my new eflight motor. What I recomend, try it all. It will make you a better pilot and you will understand the physics at work with flight better. I used a 10x4.7 yesterday, had great slow flights and enough gusto to play spirited. Today, crashed within 3 min flight, started running 9x7, had good flight as well, just no slow flying. Hope that helps.

bbking...great job on the first flights. keep it going, it only gets better.

I have two question.

One. Has anyone had any problems with the stock wing folding? It started yesterday. Buddy flying his Gamma, came in for a flyby, kind of hot, pulled up hard and we heard a cracking sound. He flew away and leveled out, one side of the wing higher. He landed, and one side of the wing, the wood support pulled out/seperated. He glued, sprayed excelerator, and away he went, no problems. Today, it happened to me, same circumstances. Then, it happen. My buddy was a lil' away from us and he started flying aggresive and fast. I had to land, no power, not much control. My collet/prop flew off in the air. I was watching him and he did a loop, fast and tight, wing snapped on one side, and plane plumitted. We hauled a$$ and found it. Totalled. Ripped off the whole front end. Hit the ground so hard, it ripped open the battery. So, are we pushing the planes to hard?

Second. Can you run a three blade prop? What are the differences, 2 blade vs 3 blade?

Thanks to everyone.
oddballs41 is offline Find More Posts by oddballs41
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:00 AM
United States, WI, Ashland
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Ok, so I just went ahead and did it. Here's the video too....
Gamma 370 drop mechanism. (0 min 3 sec)
ckostac is offline Find More Posts by ckostac
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:35 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,731 Posts
ckostac,

Very very neat mod. I am sure we can use this idea to our HobbyZone Super Cubs!

Thank you for sharing!
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:43 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,012 Posts
I never had the stock wing fold on my original Gamma 370. Are you guys running brushless? I used to do a series of 4-5 loops at a time with my Gamma 370 with no ill effects to the wing. Maybe you guys are pushing the envelope on this plane. I have gotten up to 6 consecutive loops on my Gamma 370 pro and no issues either. I find that the Gamma 370 Pro does land a little hotter than the original, but with a long approach, it can be floated in.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69