HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:34 PM
Plano, TX
Joined Feb 2007
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Check out www.headsuprc.com

They have the same props from GWS and are identical to the stock large slow flier prop that comes on the Gamma 370. I think they are $1.15 each. I just bought five and they only charged $2.00 to ship. I got them in 2 days.
And apparently bought the last of them
bbking9 is offline Find More Posts by bbking9
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:51 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Feb 2006
399 Posts
just when i was about to pull the trigger on a super cub i saw a post about this plane and here i am. this seems much better than paying $250ish for the cub with parts extra batt. etc.

i will have to read this whole thread when i get home from work.
Luisfc1972 is offline Find More Posts by Luisfc1972
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:06 PM
Plano, TX
Joined Feb 2007
310 Posts
WOW - WHAT A RUSH - FIRST MAIDEN FLIGHT !!!

Couldn't have gone much better. Found a wide open park 4 mins from my house.

Wind about 4mph BUT gusting to maybe 7-8mph.

3 - 2 min flights each. (more batteries shipped out today).

First was a hand launch - took off into the wind and it was trimmed very very well. Just did a few circles (fighting the wind) and brought her down for a great landing.

Second - ROG takeoff (grass was a little ruff - but got her up). Couple of circles and a figure 8. Perfect landing. (thank you RealFlight).

Third - hand toss launch - gusty winds and switching directions. Few circles. Perfect landing .

Nothing broke - nothing dented.

Sun got in my eyes a few times which was a little bit of a distraction and the gusting winds were more than I expected especially when they changed directions.

Just took it easy and never really got it very far away from me - or very high (maybe 50 feet).

Could be the 9x4.75 prop I was using - but sure didnt seem to have much power into the wind.

Lastly - I used the throttle a lot more than I expected to. On the sim - it just kinda sits at 1/2 throttle. Not out at the park!!

Never even had a close call - or at anytime did the plane feel out of control.

Anyway- just wanted to share my experience. Dont have anything to compare it to - but I sure like my Gamma 370. NEED MORE POWER.

Thanks for all you guys posts. Gives us virgins some hope.
Last edited by bbking9; Jan 16, 2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:14 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbking9 View Post
WOW - WHAT A RUSH - FIRST MAIDEN FLIGHT !!!

Couldn't have gone much better. Found a wide open park 4 mins from my house.

Wind about 4mph BUT gusting to maybe 7-8mph.

3 - 2 min flights each. (more batteries shipped out today).

First was a hand launch - took off into the wind and it was trimmed very very well. Just did a few circles (fighting the wind) and brought her down for a great landing.

Second - ROG takeoff (grass was a little ruff - but got her up). Couple of circles and a figure 8. Perfect landing. (thank you RealFlight).

Third - hand toss launch - gusty winds and switching directions. Few circles. Perfect landing .

Nothing broke - nothing dented.

Sun got in my eyes a few times which was a little bit of a distraction and the gusting winds were more than I expected especially when they changed directions.

Just took it easy and never really got it very far away from me - or very high (maybe 50 feet).

Could be the 9x4.75 prop I was using - but sure didnt seem to have much power into the wind.

Lastly - I used the throttle a lot more than I expected to. On the sim - it just kinda sits at 1/2 throttle. Not out at the park!!

Never even had a close call - or at anytime did the plane feel out of control.

Anyway- just wanted to share my experience. Dont have anything to compare it to - but I sure like my Gamma 370. NEED MORE POWER.

Thanks for all you guys posts. Gives us virgins some hope.
So if I understand you correctly this is your first time flying, and your already looking for more power! That's great, and we wonder why this hobby can get so expensive. I'm the same way, after on day with my Champ I was heading back to the hobby store to buy my micro t-28. It's been about 8 months for me and I now have 14 planes. My problem now is I only have one dx6i. Enjoy the Gamma it is a great flying plane!
dbdukeboy is offline Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:25 PM
Plano, TX
Joined Feb 2007
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdukeboy View Post
So if I understand you correctly this is your first time flying, and your already looking for more power! That's great, and we wonder why this hobby can get so expensive. I'm the same way, after on day with my Champ I was heading back to the hobby store to buy my micro t-28. It's been about 8 months for me and I now have 14 planes. My problem now is I only have one dx6i. Enjoy the Gamma it is a great flying plane!
It just seemed when headed into the wind I was at full throttle and not going very fast. I read a post the other day - "Just cause ya got more power - doesn't mean you have to use".

Could be the prop - gonna try some 8x6s.

I traded an offrorad truck I wasnt using to a guy for 3 micros (Ember2, Piper Cub and P51D Mustang), a Blade CP Pro heli (gonna sell), Reaflight 4, a DX5e (sold it), and some huge foam stryker that barely fit in my car.

So technically - I have been in the game for about 10 days and have 5 planes

WHERES THAT Eflite 540QQ - let me at her !!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:52 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Feb 2006
399 Posts
ok well im into a few pages now and see problems. id like to know if they have been fixed rather than read the whole thread.

do the stock props still break easily or have they been upgraded? does this plane still use tamiya connectors which caused problems with the receiver causing people to crash?

what is the best online site to buy this plane for the best price?

does the gamma pro include battery and ac plus dc adapter charger, meaning i ONLY need tx and rx? ive been on ares sight looking at the $99 rfr but the cost in rx and tx PLUS battery and charger kinda makes me want to go for t he super cub

im going to keep reading the thread but those are my few questions after about 15 pages of reading.
Luisfc1972 is offline Find More Posts by Luisfc1972
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:09 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post
ok well im into a few pages now and see problems. id like to know if they have been fixed rather than read the whole thread.

do the stock props still break easily or have they been upgraded? does this plane still use tamiya connectors which caused problems with the receiver causing people to crash?

what is the best online site to buy this plane for the best price?

does the gamma pro include battery and ac plus dc adapter charger, meaning i ONLY need tx and rx? ive been on ares sight looking at the $99 rfr but the cost in rx and tx PLUS battery and charger kinda makes me want to go for t he super cub

im going to keep reading the thread but those are my few questions after about 15 pages of reading.
There is no down side to the Gamma.
Props break on all planes. Landing gears get bent, Foam get scraped, CG gets out of balance. Hinges crack. The supplied connectors aren't the ones you like...the list goes on and on with this R/C modeling.
If I were to start over again from scratch (meaning no radio no planes), I'd get the Gamma Pro, a DX6i (used) and 2- 1000mah 2s and 4 -1300mah 3s bats, a Hitec X1 charger, 2 dozen XT60 connectors (eBay), parallel charging board.
A prop adapter/collet and APC or MAS props.

and I'd still spend less than if I got a Super cub+ DX6i and all those other things.
The Gamma and The Gamma Pro are steals.
Flies great out of the box. a Great plane to learn on and fly for years.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChinoDiablo; Jan 17, 2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:20 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post
just when i was about to pull the trigger on a super cub i saw a post about this plane and here i am. this seems much better than paying $250ish for the cub with parts extra batt. etc.

i will have to read this whole thread when i get home from work.
Sorry pal, there is no comparison with the HobbyZone Super Cub (47 inch wing span). In my opinion, the Super Cub provides a much slower pace flying for even better Trainer and true Rudder Training instead of Tri-Cycle landing gear like most RC Trainers out in the market.

You can see the slow and super stable manners that the Super Cub provides and in this video it is being controlled by the old Radio Gear (27-Mhz) and heavy 7-Cell, 2/3A size, 1100mAH, Ni-MH's batteries. Check out the Landing!!!!

Super Cub RC Model (8 min 6 sec)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:29 AM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
haha. I LOVE that video. First of all you just don't see the original red SC anymore and 2nd of all I used to hear ole Guapoman's voice on just about every video I watched several years back. Man, that brought back some memories! With that said, I agree with what you said about there not being any comparison to the SC. I still believe that the SC is the best first plane but given that the cost of the SC has risen so much from when I bought my 4 super cubs at $129 it is hard not to tell a first time pilot to go buy the Gamma. :-) unless they have the funds to start out paying a little more. I do think the Gamma is a little more floaty had has more power than the SC though.
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:21 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
haha. I LOVE that video. First of all you just don't see the original red SC anymore and 2nd of all I used to hear ole Guapoman's voice on just about every video I watched several years back. Man, that brought back some memories! With that said, I agree with what you said about there not being any comparison to the SC. I still believe that the SC is the best first plane but given that the cost of the SC has risen so much from when I bought my 4 super cubs at $129 it is hard not to tell a first time pilot to go buy the Gamma. :-) unless they have the funds to start out paying a little more. I do think the Gamma is a little more floaty had has more power than the SC though.
More Floaty than the HobbyZone Super Cub?? Nah!!!!!!

Up to know, the Videos that I have seen make the Gamma very speedy and that is a bad thing for someone trying to learn.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:48 AM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
I know!!! that is what I thought but you can get that Gamma floating soooooo slow that it is unbelievable. I believe that it all has to do with the huge difference in weight. I still fly my original SC with brushed motor but I also have a SC dedicated to Aerial Photography and I have another one that I made when people started making "Super Duper Cubs." It is really light yet powerful enough to hover all day if I want. On the other hand, I have flown my neighbors stock Gamma several times and I can honestly say that his Gamma will come in slower on landing and takes less arm when hand tossing it for take off. It barely needs any throttle to keep moving and stalls at a slower speed than the super cub. We have flown them side by side and I cannot make my SC fly as slow as his Gamma. I can't argue with what I have seen and experienced...
I think most beginners fly faster than they need to and that is why the videos we see never show it in slow flight. I might be wrong.
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:23 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,591 Posts
ty_horn,

Wow! Thanks for that feedback!
Seems like a model (Gamma) to have as well.

By the way, I am the former guapoman2000
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:37 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,454 Posts
Guys, I have or had all three, the HZ Super Cub, Ares Gamma 370 and Ares Gamma Pro. All are stock. The original Gamma 370 flies slower than the Super Cub, the Ares Gamma Pro flies faster than either of them. Ty is absolutely correct. The videos that I have seen depict the Gamma 370 with the non dihedral aileron wing and brushless upgrade, hence the reason it appears to fly really fast. In stock form, the original Gamma 370 is more floaty and flies slower stock than the HZ Super Cub, period. For the price and features (arming button for motor, etc.), the Ares Gamma 370 regular and Pro just can't be beat. I have not found a "downside" to this plane either. You have to fly the Pro version to believe what this little plane can do. I am not trying to bash the HZ Super Cub either. I love mine and it is the only 3 channel trainer I still have. I gave my original Gamma 370 to my brother to learn on; trust me, it is one of the most docile, stable flying planes I have ever flown.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:45 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,454 Posts
I do however question the use of molex connectors on the Gamma series though. I changed mine out to EC2 so I can use the batteries from my Firebird Stratos. On the pro I simply got a molex to EC2 adapter and taped the male and female molex connectors together with hinge tape. Seems to be working fine.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:25 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
trust me, it is one of the most docile, stable flying planes I have ever flown.
You're Darn Tootin'!
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership