HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:40 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckostac View Post
Well, I bent the prop shaft yesterday. What I guess I need to know is - What are my options with the brushless setup if I have a bad day? I'd like to do the upgrade, but I also like the current option of a 2 dollar fix for a new shaft. For about 5 bucks I can have a new gear, shaft, and prop. Thanks, Chris
Internet Shopping is great, especially if your nearest Hobby Shop is far away.
For motor shafts, try HeadsUpRC http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...FTS/Categories or Grayson's Hobby http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...7mm-p-278.html.
The Grayson's hobby shaft is a direct fit for the 370 motor but without the threads.
Less than $3/ea + shipping. Buy 3 or more at a time. It's a lot cheaper than driving 2 hours each way.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:42 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddballs41 View Post
ckostac.....DO THE BRUSHLESS UP GRADE. It is well worth it and so much better than the stock one. To help with bent shafts.....use a prop adapter, collet style, 4mm I think, but not positive.. E-flite or other brand will work fine. You cut off the treaded part of the shaft and slide on the adapter. I ran that setup on my first Gamma for ever and had some good crashes and didnt bend the shaft. One other thing to help with that is run the prop adapter as close to the motor as possible. Lets see them skis!!!!!
The correct size prop adapter with collet is 3.17mm.
About 4 buck each.
Buy 3 or more to save yourself some future headaches.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:30 PM
United States, WI, Ashland
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Thanks guys! I'm pretty well set on doing the brushless upgrade Monday. Fortunately I can justify the trip this time as I need to make the trip anyway to get a load of coal. I have to drive right past Hobbytown on the way there. I will definitely pick up some extra parts while I'm there. Thanks for the websites too. You're right, internet shopping is great. The waiting for stuff to come in the mail stinks, but sooo much cheaper. We really need a hobby shop in this town. I'd start a small one too if I had more space to keep things.
ckostac is offline Find More Posts by ckostac
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:38 PM
Joined Dec 2012
38 Posts
So, I have possibly a dumb or weird question. Can you fly in the rain/snow? It snowed here today. It started to clear and wasn't to cold. Me and a buddy meet at the park where we fly, and started flying. We were landing in the snow, 1/2-1", and it started snowing on us while were flyinf. Nothing hard, but a light snow.
oddballs41 is offline Find More Posts by oddballs41
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:06 AM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
I fly in snow all the time.
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:51 AM
Joined Dec 2012
38 Posts
Right on. It didn't seem to affect anything. Was fun watching the plane disapear in and out of the low clouds.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:08 AM
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Some ski pics...

Finally got to fly again. I stopped by Hobbytown to pick up the brushless kit, but go figure, he just sold the last one. So I bought a new shaft/gear for the brushed motor to get flying again, and the brushless kit should be in my mailbox in a few days. Picked up a couple more props to just to be on the safe side. Anyway, flew with the skis for the first time this morning. The was definitely extra drag, but the 10+ mph wind didn't help either. Definitely the strongest wind I've flown it in yet. It was fun, but a little scary cuz I was flying over a lake - all ice, no snow cover. Very unforgiving. On the plus side, the skis on the ice made for some very nice landings. Definitely no nose overs! Now I need a camera man! Which reminds me, I also should have one of those key chain cameras from ebay in the mailbox today. Anyone use these?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:29 AM
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddballs41 View Post
Right on. It didn't seem to affect anything. Was fun watching the plane disapear in and out of the low clouds.
You do want to make sure that none of the electronics on the inside of the plane get wet though!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:31 AM
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckostac View Post
Finally got to fly again. I stopped by Hobbytown to pick up the brushless kit, but go figure, he just sold the last one. So I bought a new shaft/gear for the brushed motor to get flying again, and the brushless kit should be in my mailbox in a few days. Picked up a couple more props to just to be on the safe side. Anyway, flew with the skis for the first time this morning. The was definitely extra drag, but the 10+ mph wind didn't help either. Definitely the strongest wind I've flown it in yet. It was fun, but a little scary cuz I was flying over a lake - all ice, no snow cover. Very unforgiving. On the plus side, the skis on the ice made for some very nice landings. Definitely no nose overs! Now I need a camera man! Which reminds me, I also should have one of those key chain cameras from ebay in the mailbox today. Anyone use these?
My favorite part of flying with skis is landing. I love to come in nice and slow and let the back part of the ski touch down super slow and let the nose of the skis fall into place nice and easy.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:09 PM
Joined Dec 2012
38 Posts
OH YEAH. I made sure of that and put some foam in the front to stop any snow/water. ckostac, the skis look great. I haven't used one of those cameras, but I have read here and other places and people seem to use them alot and like em'. I use my GoPro and three rubber bands to get video.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:23 PM
Plano, TX
Joined Feb 2007
310 Posts
Need to buy some extra props for the RTR version - but LHS had no 8x6 or 9x7 in stock but plenty of 9x4.75.

Can I use these (9x4.75)?
bbking9 is offline Find More Posts by bbking9
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:31 PM
Joined Dec 2012
38 Posts
Yes, you can run that. As far as I understand, the first number is the total length of the prop, and the second number is how far it will travel in one rotation. I have ran a 10x3.8 and had no problem. The plane will not be as fast/climb well/have tourqe. It will still fly fine, just be kind of lethargic.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:50 PM
Plano, TX
Joined Feb 2007
310 Posts
Thanks oddbal. Lethargic - kinda like me these days.
bbking9 is offline Find More Posts by bbking9
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:15 AM
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Last night I made a drop mechanism for my Gamma so I can drop streamers, parachutes, or whatever else we can think of. I also made a parachute about 18" in diameter. Now I need to look though the kids toys to find some little men who want to go skydiving. If the wind ever quits I should be able to get some pretty cool videos!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:58 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,960 Posts
Check out www.headsuprc.com

They have the same props from GWS and are identical to the stock large slow flier prop that comes on the Gamma 370. I think they are $1.15 each. I just bought five and they only charged $2.00 to ship. I got them in 2 days.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69