HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:36 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2010
321 Posts
As much as my Gamma has taught me I'm getting ready to part ways with it.

When I first got in to air after doing land for over 10 years I thought I was going to be more of a plane guy. Well, turns out that I'm more of a heli person because I'd much rather fly my Nano CPX than my Gamma.

Maybe in the summer I'll pick up a Pro and go 3S and give planes a second chance but until then, thanks to everyone who helped and huge thanks to Ares for making such a great plane to get people started! We still can hardly keep the RTF Gammas on our shelves...
iTz Nicholas72 is offline Find More Posts by iTz Nicholas72
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:12 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
ChinoDiablo's Avatar
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
As much as my Gamma has taught me I'm getting ready to part ways with it.

When I first got in to air after doing land for over 10 years I thought I was going to be more of a plane guy. Well, turns out that I'm more of a heli person because I'd much rather fly my Nano CPX than my Gamma.

Maybe in the summer I'll pick up a Pro and go 3S and give planes a second chance but until then, thanks to everyone who helped and huge thanks to Ares for making such a great plane to get people started! We still can hardly keep the RTF Gammas on our shelves...
Fair well Mr. Nick...
But not good bye.
We are in the depths of winter now but soon beautiful weather calls for the great outdoors and what better way to enjoy it than to fly a plane, be it the Gamma or some other plane.
Good Luck.
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:07 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,012 Posts
I can see your point of wanting to fly the nano heli. I found that for me, flying micro helis got tiring as I only flew in the house. When I went to bigger helis, I found that even the slightest crash cost a lot to fix. I finally gave them up and went strictly to airplanes. Well, good luck to ya.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:08 PM
Registered User
ckostac's Avatar
United States, WI, Ashland
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Hi there. I just bought the Gamma 370 a couple days ago and bought the Aileron wing and servo right away, but haven't done the brushless upgrade yet (hope to soon). I've flown it a few times now and was wondering if anyone's tried to put floats on it. From the videos I've seen it looks like it should have plenty of power after the upgrade, just wondering if anyone has done it. I am in northern WI, so I am currently planning to build some skis for it, but can't help but think about the future when it gets warm again!
ckostac is offline Find More Posts by ckostac
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:35 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2010
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckostac View Post
Hi there. I just bought the Gamma 370 a couple days ago and bought the Aileron wing and servo right away, but haven't done the brushless upgrade yet (hope to soon). I've flown it a few times now and was wondering if anyone's tried to put floats on it. From the videos I've seen it looks like it should have plenty of power after the upgrade, just wondering if anyone has done it. I am in northern WI, so I am currently planning to build some skis for it, but can't help but think about the future when it gets warm again!
I doubt floats would be an issue. I flew mine on 2S with an iPhone with the LifeProof case strapped to it and it handles the extra weight no problem.
iTz Nicholas72 is offline Find More Posts by iTz Nicholas72
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:50 PM
Registered User
ckostac's Avatar
United States, WI, Ashland
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Yeah, I strapped my phone to mine last night and it carried it fine, so I'm not to concerned about the weight. The extra drag trying to get off the water would be my biggest concern. But I still think it'll do it just fine, especially after I do the brushless upgrade. If nothing else I guess I'll be the "guinea pig" and make sure to post pics and hopefully some videos so everyone else can benefit from the project as well. If I get really anxious to try it, our power plant discharges hot water (just for cooling equipment, no chemicals or anything) into Lake Superior resulting in a "hot pond." This "hot pond" never does freeze over, so I could could try it there anytime.
ckostac is offline Find More Posts by ckostac
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:04 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,750 Posts
This plane has more guts than the original Super Cub and the SC takes off from water just fine with floats... I will tell you though, if you get a chance to pick up some skis, you will have a blast on snow! I bought some about 6 years ago for my Super Cub and never had so much fun. I have been helping a buddy of mine learn how to fly on the Gemini and I was thinking about strapping some skis on soon.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/park_flye...ueryId=4151063
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:15 PM
Registered User
ckostac's Avatar
United States, WI, Ashland
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Thanks that's good to know. I've seen several YouTube videos of Super Cubs with floats, so now I have something to compare it to. As for the skis, I can't wait for that. I've flown with skis before and loved it. I built a plane very similar to this:
World's First RC Flying 2x4 Plane with a Weed Wacker motor.Maiden Flight (3 min 58 sec)
but made some aluminum skis for it. It had 72" wingspan and was powered by 25cc homelite weedeater engine. I had some radio issues one day though and she took a nose dive into the ice. I have an open field right outside my house, and Lake Superior 7 miles away(which is where that crash occured). One big reason I love flying at the lake is that there are no obstacles for several miles (other than ice fisherman!) It's a great place for learning.
ckostac is offline Find More Posts by ckostac
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:56 PM
Registered User
ckostac's Avatar
United States, WI, Ashland
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
My current project...

This is the one I really want to get going. 102" Wingspan, 31cc Ryobi weedeater engine on alcohol/nitro mix with glow plug rather than spark ignition, 20x6 MA prop. I've had it out a couple times. Once with skis, and a couple tries with the floats. Every time out there was one problem or another though, so it's never seen any flight time longer than 10 - 15 seconds. That where the Gamma comes in. I wanted something I could take out, charge, and fly without much trouble. As you can tell I'm primarily a gas guy, but if I never saw another carburetor again I wouldn't complain. Oh yeah, and the Gamma is WAY easier to haul around! So hopefully I'll get to have some fun and learn a little about electrics in the process.
ckostac is offline Find More Posts by ckostac
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:56 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
ChinoDiablo's Avatar
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckostac View Post
This is the one I really want to get going. 102" Wingspan, 31cc Ryobi weedeater engine on alcohol/nitro mix with glow plug rather than spark ignition, 20x6 MA prop. I've had it out a couple times. Once with skis, and a couple tries with the floats. Every time out there was one problem or another though, so it's never seen any flight time longer than 10 - 15 seconds. That where the Gamma comes in. I wanted something I could take out, charge, and fly without much trouble. As you can tell I'm primarily a gas guy, but if I never saw another carburetor again I wouldn't complain. Oh yeah, and the Gamma is WAY easier to haul around! So hopefully I'll get to have some fun and learn a little about electrics in the process.
That thing has a weed eater motor? That's a big puppy to get in the air!
The Gamma takes travel abuse pretty well. And you don't need to worry about "hanger rash."
If you pack your pane and take 4 or 5 batteries with you whenever you go, you can be ready for a spontaneous"park-fly!"
Nothing better, nothing easier.
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChinoDiablo; Jan 10, 2013 at 12:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:58 AM
Newbe learning everyday!
dbdukeboy's Avatar
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
This plane has more guts than the original Super Cub and the SC takes off from water just fine with floats... I will tell you though, if you get a chance to pick up some skis, you will have a blast on snow! I bought some about 6 years ago for my Super Cub and never had so much fun. I have been helping a buddy of mine learn how to fly on the Gemini and I was thinking about strapping some skis on soon.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/park_flye...ueryId=4151063
I've never ordered from hobby lobby how are they for delivery times?
dbdukeboy is offline Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:16 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,750 Posts
It has been a long time since I have ordered from them but it never took longer than any other place I've ordered from...
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:24 PM
Registered User
ckostac's Avatar
United States, WI, Ashland
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
Well, I bent the prop shaft yesterday. I flew over my house and at that point where I was about to climb and start to turn around, the soft cut out happened. Couldn't climb out of it, so I shut her down and hoped for the best. The plane is fine, but the shaft bent pretty bad. Prop is fine. I was using an APC 9x6E. Pretty beefy around the hub, maybe too much. If I was using the stock prop, it may have just broke, before bending the shaft. Hard to tell since I didn't get to see what it hit. I think it hit a tree trunk head on, but not sure. ANYWAY, now I'm thinking about the brushless upgrade and wondering if there have been any shaft issues with the brushless motor. I know with the brushed motor, the shaft/gear assembly is replaceable for a couple dollars. What I guess I need to know is - What are my options with the brushless setup if I have a bad day? I'd like to do the upgrade, but I also like the current option of a 2 dollar fix for a new shaft. For about 5 bucks I can have a new gear, shaft, and prop. Also my nearest hobby shop is 2 hours away, so I need to make the most of my trip (which will be Monday!) which means getting some extra parts before I need them! Thanks, Chris
ckostac is offline Find More Posts by ckostac
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:53 PM
Registered User
ckostac's Avatar
United States, WI, Ashland
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
I did get a set of skis made a couple days ago. Scrap plexiglass, scrap wood, quick coat of paint that I already had, some string and a rubber band = pretty much free! I'll have to get a couple pics next time I get to fly. Even if she wasn't broke, it's WAY too windy today.
ckostac is offline Find More Posts by ckostac
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:13 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
38 Posts
ckostac.....DO THE BRUSHLESS UP GRADE. It is well worth it and so much better than the stock one. To help with bent shafts.....use a prop adapter, collet style, 4mm I think, but not positive.. E-flite or other brand will work fine. You cut off the treaded part of the shaft and slide on the adapter. I ran that setup on my first Gamma for ever and had some good crashes and didnt bend the shaft. One other thing to help with that is run the prop adapter as close to the motor as possible. Lets see them skis!!!!!
oddballs41 is offline Find More Posts by oddballs41
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Found Sky babies are ready for shipping. icharus Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 3 Jun 30, 2012 09:34 PM
Found Sky babies are ready for shipping. icharus Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jun 24, 2012 10:45 PM
Found WTT Receiver ready Raptor 30V1 for RTF or receiver ready Trex 450 Sport/Pro conefree Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 2 May 21, 2012 09:28 AM
Cool RFR (Ready For Receiver) Smashed_Toad Scale Sailplanes 18 Mar 18, 2005 08:50 PM
Cool RFR (redy for Receiver) Planes Good or Bad? Smashed_Toad Thermal 10 Mar 04, 2005 06:13 PM