SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:19 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmike View Post
quick question: if you are suppose to only use a 2s battery then, why ON the ares esc does it say 2-3sLiPo and then 6-10 cell NiCad/NiMH ??? if my math is right 10(cell nicad or nimh) is lets see 1.2v/cell X 10 = 12 volts ??? I am new at this Electric flight that is.
I have already put in the brushless motor and esc so i suppose there is no going back to the stock motor but.... still on the box the airplane comes in it should say in big letters 7.4 volt battery only.

btw I also clipped off the crappy stock connectors and went to e-flites ec2's much better connector. got that tip from this forum i do believe.

other than motor/esc issues i think great airplane just wish the tx could have be buddy box-able so i didnt have to buy two more tx 's so i could buddy box with my father in law
Don't look back.
You're better off moving forward.
As a rule, a Tx that comes with a RTF plane is pretty crappy. They are functional but severely lack critical features such as dual rates, expo and buddy box ports.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:41 PM
Joined Nov 2010
321 Posts
Well did pretty much everything possible to get as much travel on the aileron as possible. Also set the elevator travel the maximum before binding as well as the rudder
Now to set up dual rates at 75% for each in case its a bit too responsive.

The joys of having a decent radio
iTz Nicholas72 is offline Find More Posts by iTz Nicholas72
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:05 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
Well did pretty much everything possible to get as much travel on the aileron as possible. Also set the elevator travel the maximum before binding as well as the rudder
Now to set up dual rates at 75% for each in case its a bit too responsive.

The joys of having a decent radio
I have found that a lot of travel on the elevator can be a bit more jolting than a lot on the aileron.
Also, too much elevator leads to stalls and things like that.
The Gamma is pretty stall proof but in the end, I think that your better off in the second or third hole on the elevator.

Yes a decent radio is must.
BTW, I have a DX6i. I always use the timer function on it but one thing that drives me crazy is that the timer will reset itself to count UP when I have saved it to count DOWN.
Anyone else have this problem?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:17 PM
United States, IL, West Dundee
Joined Dec 2012
80 Posts
Are these batteries OK to start out with for the Gamma Pro?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl1300-2s1p-30c-2222.html
http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl1300-2s1p-40c-2222.html

What's the difference between 30c and 40c, and should I prefer one over the other? I'm getting the 7.4v because I want to avoid trouble while I'm getting used to it. Am I being too paranoid? We're only talking $16.... Thanks.
EPP Destroyer is offline Find More Posts by EPP Destroyer
Last edited by EPP Destroyer; Jan 03, 2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:26 PM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
Hello everyone,

For those interested in good overall control response for first-time and sport flying, be sure to connect the clevises to the OUTERMOST holes on the control horns for the elevator and rudder. For those interested more in aerobatic flying you can connect the clevises to the second outermost hole and/or make various adjustments as needed to achieve these control throws (as listed on page 28 in the Gamma 370 Pro RFR manual):

Ailerons
3/8–1/2” (~10–13mm) up/down
NOTE: In some cases the aileron will travel approximately 1/8–3/16” (3‐–5mm) more down than up (this is OK)

Elevator
9/16–11/16” (~15–18mm) up/down

Rudder
9/16–3/4” (~17–20mm) left/right
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:32 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPP Destroyer View Post
Are these batteries OK to start out with for the Gamma Pro?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl1300-2s1p-30c-2222.html
http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl1300-2s1p-40c-2222.html

What's the difference between 30c and 40c, and should I prefer one over the other? I'm getting the 7.4v because I want to avoid trouble while I'm getting used to it. Am I being too paranoid? We're only talking $16.... Thanks.
I believe the C rating should be thought of as a "hose" where the larger the number the faster energy flows through it. Thus a 40c rated battery will disperse its energy 33% faster than a 30c battery. There will be a slight jump in power as well but not as much as going from 2s to 3s.
If I were you, I would go ahead and get a 3s battery (or even several) just to see/feel how much stronger it is. Also while you're at it, you should look at getting a decent charger and then a parallel board for charging up to 6 batteries at a time. Around this time you should also be deciding on what type of connector you want so that you can stay with one and convert your plugs to save you some future headaches.
Get your soldering skills on!

-Patrick
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:23 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,750 Posts
Hey guys.
I have a Gamma new in box. Never opened even to look inside. I need the money more than the plane. I bought it in a town 2 hours away so it would be easier to ship it rather than return it. I would love to get $120 SHIPPED but would take offers of course :-)
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Last edited by ty_horn; Jan 06, 2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:51 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,213 Posts
This Ares Gamma is the best trainer to come out on the market since the HZ Supercub.

IMO, it is a better trainer deal than the SuperCub because its flight characteristics are similar to the SC, but its smaller size allows it to be flown in smaller parks/fields, it's cheap and easy to up grade to aileron 4-channel, and it's a lot more plane than the HZ Champ for only a little more money.

Ares has a winner and Hobby Zone beater in the Gamma 370 and I predict unless HZ remakes its SuperCub, the Gamma 370 will soon be the new go-to trainer.

If this Gamma was available to me then, I would have chosen it over the SuperCub.
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Last edited by easyrider604; Jan 06, 2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:36 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604 View Post
This Ares Gamma is the best trainer to come out on the market since the HZ Supercub.

IMO, it is a better trainer deal than the SuperCub because its flight characteristics are similar to the SC, but its smaller size allows it to be flown in smaller parks/fields, it's cheap and easy to up grade to aileron 4-channel, and it's a lot more plane than the HZ Champ for only a little more money.

Ares has a winner and Hobby Zone beater in the Gamma 370 and I predict unless HZ remakes its SuperCub, the Gamma 370 will soon be the new go-to trainer.

If this Gamma was available to me then, I would have chosen it over the SuperCub.
+1
Amen!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:24 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,992 Posts
Yep. I hope Ares wisens up though and ditches those damn molex plugs though.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:08 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Yep. I hope Ares wisens up though and ditches those damn molex plugs though.
Horizon Hobby used to use the same dumb connectors!
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:02 AM
Joined Dec 2012
38 Posts
Hello everyone. I have watched and learned a lot from reading this thread. Thank you too every one.

I just want to put my stories/experience out there so maybe it will help someone.

I did a lot of experimental things. Like take a 11x7 slow fly GWS prop, take a tape mesure, and cut it down and not see if it was balenced. Put it on, go half throttle, watch it spinn, and say..."Looks good."

I was at a Hobby Town looking at rc trucks. Was wanting another thing to throw money at for some fun times. Then I started looking at the planes. Sounded fun. I bought one. A Cox Extra 300, very small. I told the owner of the store, I have never flown a rc plane. Said it was a good one.........MY A$$. It is probably fine for a good/experienced rc pilot. A couple of busted props, wings, and such, then I shelved it. Went to the same store. Talked with the same owner a lil', he seemed to know less about all of his product then me. So I grabed a Hobby Zone Firebird Commander. In my opinion, a joke. No wind, full throttle, I had to throw....not toss/launch, but throw it at a 45 degree up and about half of the time it would go, the other, it would just auguer into the ground. I read and adjusted everything before flying. It crashed once so hard that it ripped the motor and mount out of the plastic and into the engine/esc/mother board area. Well, I had to cut open the fuselage and redo it all. It had one last good crash and I was done.

ENTER THE GAMMA
Again, I mosey into Hobby Town again. Picked up the Gamma, and read the box. Sounded good. Went to where I fly, built it in the bed of my truck, and away I went. First flight, up she goes, turns left, I panic, pin it, and she crashes. Tail breaks off. I tape it and put it up again. I actually get a 30 second flight, then crash.

Ok, lets research how to do this. I jump online and find this site, stay up all night reading, and decide I need a simulator. I go to a different hobby shop and try the simulator. It was already on and ready and it was on a super cub. I take off and fly/land ok for a beginer first time. I am going to say this and might get flack, but, it is just my opinion. I dont think a simulator is always the way to go. I have taught 2 friends and 3 family members how to fly. I only had to grab the controller and save the plane once. Every lesson I have learned, in life, in racing, in the work place, has been the hard ones. I think when you crash your plane in real life and have to fix it yourself, you learn so so much more then you do on a simulator. Thank goodness parts are pretty cheap for the Gamma.

OK, I am ready to do this. Battery charged, check. Controller has new batteries, check. Plug in battery. Elevator, check. Rudder check. Blip the throttle and prop spins, check. I toss her up, full throttle and away she goes. She climbs fast, I pull throttle back to half, wobble left, then right, no left, now right.........then I get her straight and under control. This must be what crack is like............I AM FLYING AND LOVE IT. I am hooked.

I have found a way to fly almost every day since mid November. Sometimes a half day, sometimes one battery worth.

Some of the stuff I have done and experienced.

-I never had a problem with the stock battery/esc connectors for two of my three Gammas.

-Once you feel comfortable with the stock motor, GET THE BRUSHLESS and a 3s battery. It is so much better. Just because it is faster doesn't mean you have to be pinned all the time. Having it gives you the option to climb fast and start to test you limits/ability and fly faster and faster.

-CA gap glue and accelerator are your friend.

-Take what people say as advice, and not the only way. Use there experience/expertise as a guide. Find what works for you and have fun at it.

-From what I have read and seen, experienced, and observed at the flying parks, THE ARES 370 GAMMA IS THE BEST TRAINER. You can learn a lot and grow with it.

I have been thru three of these planes. The first one I ran the stock setup along time. Would just keep bending shafts, busting props, fix it, and do it all over. I crashed it a lot....rough landings....misjudge distance/orientation and into a tree I went........rough landings and rip off/out the battery/landing gear tray..........folded a already weak wing 100ft up and turned the plane into a lawn dart.........cut a couple of holes in the fuselage for my gopro. Its motor mount and front fuselage became weak and actually poped out the last crash.

The second one, a rfr, meet its demise per a faulty controler. I had lost control for a split second twice. I thought it was the battery/esc plugs. The third time was at dusk. I noticed the glow of the red and green light on the controler went out for a second or two, then flashed back on. Batteries in the controler, maybe, so I replaced them. The next day I was a little ways up, half throttle, lost it and BOOM!!!!!! Ripped of the whole front. The controler meet a hrash and swift demise as well right after.

The third one is anything but stock. Gws prop 10x6......E-flight Park 480 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 1020 Kv.......E-flight 30 amp esc....Spektrum AR600 reciever.........E-flight EFLRS75 servos handiling the rudder, elevator and ailerons. When I assemble the plane, every part on the tail area gets glue. I take out the cheap little rudder/steering wheel mount and bend one the exact same, but taller to accomodate a taller wheel. I rebend the stock landing gear to also accomodate taller wheels, both mods for grass/gravel/rough terain landings. I also remove some foam and cut and glue in a piece of hard wood to mount the nose to and to stiffen the front. Now a DX6i handles the controls.

Thats my Gamma and what I have done. Again, thanks for all the knowledge.
oddballs41 is offline Find More Posts by oddballs41
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:37 AM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,213 Posts
/\ Good post!
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:00 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,349 Posts
Yes, a great post!
Oddball, I think your parts are worth more than the plane itself.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:49 AM
Joined Dec 2012
38 Posts
Thanks. Yeah, the parts are. Really though, this will probably be the only plane I own. I am very very pleased with it and impressed with the performance. Just yesterday, I started flying with the aileron wing, but did nit hook them up. I wanted to see just how different the wing was and performed versus the stock one. I will hook up the ailerons soon.
oddballs41 is offline Find More Posts by oddballs41