SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:25 PM
Duncanville, TX
Joined Sep 2010
111 Posts
Why 6 channels??

I can account for use of 4 of the six channels but what are the other 2 for??

Thanks
DON
king1522 is offline Find More Posts by king1522
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:31 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by king1522 View Post
I can account for use of 4 of the six channels but what are the other 2 for??

Thanks
DON
Most 4 channel radios, while adequate with basic functionality, don't have features such as expo, dual rates, servo travel, timer, and my favorite: model memory.
I have 10 models all on my DX6i, each trimmed and saved on the radio.
It makes life much easier.
There is no 4 channel radio out there that I know of with those features.
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:52 AM
Duncanville, TX
Joined Sep 2010
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
Most 4 channel radios, while adequate with basic functionality, don't have features such as expo, dual rates, servo travel, timer, and my favorite: model memory.
I have 10 models all on my DX6i, each trimmed and saved on the radio.
It makes life much easier.
There is no 4 channel radio out there that I know of with those features.
Thanks Chino. Does this mean the radio that comes with the RTF has all these features?

Don
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by king1522 View Post
Thanks Chino. Does this mean the radio that comes with the RTF has all these features?

Don
No, unfortunately, the Ares 6 channel radio that comes with the RTF version is very basic with only servo reversing. No program ability, no features. Just basic. It works fine , but once you move up to a "real" transmitter you're ability to learn to fly is exponentially improved.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:37 PM
Duncanville, TX
Joined Sep 2010
111 Posts
Thanks for the infer Chino. Being that is true, I might would be better off buying the ARF and use my Spectrum DX6i. Any thoughts about that. Pro or cons??
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:46 PM
Duncanville, TX
Joined Sep 2010
111 Posts
oops, I meant "Thanks for the info"
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:07 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,955 Posts
Definately a pro. I am flying my Gamma 370 using a Spektrum DX6i and an AR400 Spektrum RX. I am getting my Gamma Pro this Friday and plan on using an Orange 6 channel RX in that one in tandem with my DX6i; I might just buy a DX7s this weekend too since I am out of model memory on my DX6i.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:27 PM
Joined Nov 2010
321 Posts
Really can't think of any advantages of going with the RTF when you have a DX6i.

Starting off with the Pro gives you the plane you will end up upgrading to and starting off with a much better radio.

Can't wait to get a DX6i for Christmas!
iTz Nicholas72 is offline Find More Posts by iTz Nicholas72
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:01 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Definately a pro. I am flying my Gamma 370 using a Spektrum DX6i and an AR400 Spektrum RX. I am getting my Gamma Pro this Friday and plan on using an Orange 6 channel RX in that one in tandem with my DX6i; I might just buy a DX7s this weekend too since I am out of model memory on my DX6i.
Chuck,
So you succumbed to the Orange Rx.
I have 12 of those things. One of them browned out and totalled my T28. But the rest have been flawless.
One word of advice for the Orange Rx: once bound to the Tx and you've selected the model, you may need to reset the Tx by shutting it off and switching it back on before plugging in the battery in the plane. On occasion, when I didn't do that, the Rx would blink instead of staying constant. All the functions still worked but I don't feel comfortable with a blinking Rx. I cut out a tiny window in the fuselage so i can see the Rx. So by habit I've always turned off then on the Tx before plugging in the battery.
Enjoy your Gamma Pro.
You'll love it!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:28 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,955 Posts
Only because my I ran out of my supply of Spektrum RXs. I do have 2 Tactic receivers that I am not using and I also have the AnyLink. I may use one of those for the pro. Rumor is, I am also getting a new DX7s for Xmas so that will also influence which RX I use in the Gamma Pro. I am flying two of my planes on the Orange RXs now. I fly my Tower Hobbies F4U Corsair and my Parkzone Spitfire Mk IX on them. I have not had an issue yet. I have never seen them blink either. Maybe I got some good ones.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:19 AM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2012
23 Posts
I did the flap mod to the trainer wing and have flown it twice. Tight and fast barrel rolls required using the rudder whereas with the standard aileron Ares wing it will roll tight without rudder, although this make sense, more wing area plus that dihedral which I didn't want to screw with trying to remove.

I butchered the wing and left way too big of channels on the underside, I was in a hurry and did it all with out using a straight edge. Oh well. I was worried to take it off the first time but it works GREAT. With the flaps in the "half" position it takes off in a matter of feet. I just love having the flaps, I have them set up for 2 positions. I don't have a mix set up as I like to have the full control. If you pop the flaps down while flying at a decent speed it goes nose up instantly. But the flaps shine at low speed, as they should.

What I like is that I can fly this plane at less than 1/4 throttle, possibly 1/8 throttle and it just floats in the air, so slow yet controllable enough to do loops around the landing area. If you guys like projects (as I'm sure most here do) go for it, its fun to add it that extra channel. I pretend its my little Cessna 182 with the flaps on it now. This is still my only plane except an EDF F18 which I won't be flying for a while. I think I want a P51 or T28 before I try that.

Cubieman is offline Find More Posts by Cubieman
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:16 AM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
958 Posts
Cubieman,

The Gamma always put me in mind of the Cessna 185 Skywagon.
gentle ben is offline Find More Posts by gentle ben
Last edited by gentle ben; Dec 21, 2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: too much g
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Oct 2012
23 Posts
There we go Ben! I need to stencil Skywaggon on her now!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:37 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,151 Posts
Well, Cubieman,
You've inspired me.
I've never been to keen in my flaps wing but I think that it's because I have a high speed setup on my Gamma.
She cooks pretty well in the air with the sport wing, outside loops and all of that, but the really slow stuff, it's not her forte.
When I made the mods to the stock dihedral wing, my hinge joints were quite sloppy and annoyed me to no end so I have since forgone it for the sport wing which is an excellent, albeit different, alternative. Later this winter I will try to re-hinge my surface controls to tighten everything up and see what happens. At the same time I should probably slow down the prop to a 7x4 instead of the 8x6 that I'm currently using. She won't be as fast but hopefully she'll be more manageable at low speed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:40 AM
Joined Oct 2012
23 Posts
Chino...
Hell, I used the the du bro hinge tape instead of hinges and some pretty damn big control arms for the size of the ares. This wing seems very forgiving, not to mention how many gaps where left on the underside of the flap wing.

I would love to be able to take the dihedral out of the stock wing, but even in current from I am still pulling(slow) barrel rolls. Just go with the hinge tape, that is how me and the other guy in this thread that I got the idea from had done it as well.