HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:10 PM
United States, CA, Walnut
Joined Sep 2006
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
Try a 2s battery. Kinder, gentler flights.
Ya but I try to stay with one battery type, I use the threes on my slow-stick and the GWS TigerMoth 400. I guess I'll try the 9x4.7 if I cook the motor I'll get a lower kv motor to replace it with.

Of course all this is with out flying it yet maybe I'll love the 8x6

Gary
Blusaber is offline Find More Posts by Blusaber
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:40 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blusaber View Post
Ya but I try to stay with one battery type, I use the threes on my slow-stick and the GWS TigerMoth 400. I guess I'll try the 9x4.7 if I cook the motor I'll get a lower kv motor to replace it with.

Of course all this is with out flying it yet maybe I'll love the 8x6

Gary
Maybe you can set a throttle limit on your Tx. otherwise fly at 1/4 - 1/2 speed for a "slower" flight. It's still pretty quick.
the GWS props will howl at high revs.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:55 PM
Joined Sep 2006
757 Posts
Quote:
Maybe you can set a throttle limit on your Tx. otherwise fly at 1/4 - 1/2 speed for a "slower" flight. It's still pretty quick.
the GWS props will howl at high revs.
Ultimately common sense kicked in and I took your advice and just ordered 3 2s1300 mah batts. If I under stand this correctly I should get longer flight times on 2's. thank you for your help

Gary
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:03 PM
Joined Sep 2006
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle ben View Post
Blusaber,

Sorry but I can't seem to open up the video. When I use your name Gary the last video that was uploaded that I can view was 2 months ago.

Gentle Ben
Shoot leave it to me to mess up

It wasn't much of a video I shot it on the iPad it was just the plane on the counter
When I tested the link in the post it opened for me . I'll use a Vedic cam when I do,get to maiden her

Gary
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Sep 2006
757 Posts
Quote:
I changed out the stock wheels with 2 inch Dubros. .
I was finally able to get the keepers off and put some 2 inches on

Thanks

Gary
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:19 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2012
105 Posts
Hello there...I just bought the gamma 370 on Saturday for myson who has been flying the champ quite a bit and decided to move up to a larger plane. We flew it on Sunday and broke the propeller after a minor crash, only damage was the prop. Now today after installing the new GWS prop, and with a new battery, I did the flight checks and engine run. I noticed the engine was dying after about two mins of it running...turned it off and tried the other battery, did the same thing., and now no engine. Could the engine be fried after only two flights and not even a major crash? Wonder if hobbytown USA will replace it? Any help would be appreciated...thanks.

Mike
68 stang 19 is online now Find More Posts by 68 stang 19
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:24 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 stang 19 View Post
Hello there...I just bought the gamma 370 on Saturday for myson who has been flying the champ quite a bit and decided to move up to a larger plane. We flew it on Sunday and broke the propeller after a minor crash, only damage was the prop. Now today after installing the new GWS prop, and with a new battery, I did the flight checks and engine run. I noticed the engine was dying after about two mins of it running...turned it off and tried the other battery, did the same thing., and now no engine. Could the engine be fried after only two flights and not even a major crash? Wonder if hobbytown USA will replace it? Any help would be appreciated...thanks.

Mike
Props breaks constantly on the Gamma. Try the prop saver. I know it looks funny but I hear they work. However, I never used it. I just kept breaking props.
As for your battery situation, make sure battery contacts are solid. Did the motor die but the other functions (Rudder etc) still worked? Sounds like it could be a faulty ESC. If this is the case you should take it back to Hobby Town and get a replacement.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:40 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2012
105 Posts
Thanks Chino...and yes, I have rudder and elevator control, just the motor slowly started dying. Hopefully they will take it back
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Nov 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Chino...and yes, I have rudder and elevator control, just the motor slowly started dying. Hopefully they will take it back
That's exactly what happened to my 370. Took it back to hobby town and they gladly replaced it with another brushed motor for free. Then it lasted about another 1 hr of flying.
Good thing I bought a brushless motor at the time. I think the brushed motors are just enough to get you started.
Brushless is the only way to go.
flgamma is offline Find More Posts by flgamma
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Apr 2012
90 Posts
Just picked up the 'pro' version of the gamma 370 for my 1st aileron trainer. I have the hz champ, pz radian, and hz super cub lp. Started flying for the first time in May. Needless to say, it's not very hard to get addicted to new planes! So far, I haven't bought a plane that i did not like. I also purchased 2.5" wheels for better grass landings, and EC3 connectors. I already have a few 3s 1300 batteries. I will order an orange receiver as it is the 'rfr' version, and I use a spektrum dx6i tx. Anyway, they just arrived at my Hobbytown yesterday, and are literally selling like candy! The rtr version is $99.99. Kind of hard to believe they are this cheap, but better for me! Will post again after Christmas.
klmboxer is offline Find More Posts by klmboxer
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:19 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2012
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgamma View Post
That's exactly what happened to my 370. Took it back to hobby town and they gladly replaced it with another brushed motor for free. Then it lasted about another 1 hr of flying.
Good thing I bought a brushless motor at the time. I think the brushed motors are just enough to get you started.
Brushless is the only way to go.
Took it in today to Hobbytown USA, the guy there in Brandon, Tom, was awesome. Pretty much was an ESC, and he went ahead and put in the brushless motor for free. I just bought the plane on Saturday so I guess he will send the old motor and ESC back. Any suggestions on what batteries to swap out next? Not confident with the connectors. Thanks again and looking forward to flying it this weekend for the first time with the brushless motor!!!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Nov 2010
294 Posts
I've had no issue using the included Ares 1000mah 2S 20C pack with my brushless system running both 8x6 and now 10x7 props. Deans or EC3 for the plugs and your set.
iTz Nicholas72 is online now Find More Posts by iTz Nicholas72
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:59 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2012
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
I've had no issue using the included Ares 1000mah 2S 20C pack with my brushless system running both 8x6 and now 10x7 props. Deans or EC3 for the plugs and your set.
Id like to keep my batteries, but can someone give me some pointers on how to change out the connectors on the batteries as well what the battery connects to on the plane? I'll do some research on DEANS, but I'm familiar with the EC3. Just wondering how hard these are to change over from the crappy connectors that comes with the plane. Thanks.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:45 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
604 Posts
Quote:
Id like to keep my batteries, but can someone give me some pointers on how to change out the connectors on the batteries as well what the battery connects to on the plane? I'll do some research on DEANS, but I'm familiar with the EC3. Just wondering how hard these are to change over from the crappy connectors that comes with the plane. Thanks.
You just cut off the old ones and solder on the deans, you also have to do this to your esc. There is videos on YouTube that show exactly how to solder them if you have never soldered before. If you plan on getting more planes like most of us in this hobby a good soldering station is vital.also make sure you use some shrink wrap on the solder joints
dbdukeboy is offline Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:01 PM
Joined Nov 2010
294 Posts
Sold our first Gamma 370 Pro today at the Asheville HobbyTown! Having a hard enough time keeping the original 370 RTF in stock and I foresee the same with the Pros. Thinking about picking up one for myself to have as a backup to take to the field and maybe try some training once I get my DX6i. Have a lot of friends who are considering a plane but aren't quite ready to take the leap...
iTz Nicholas72 is online now Find More Posts by iTz Nicholas72