HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:17 PM
United States, FL, Waldo
Joined Jun 2012
23 Posts
Tz

This is what i had to do to mine... short of buying a new battery compartment it works great popsicle sticks and ca... orange works the best lol
linkinman is offline Find More Posts by linkinman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:22 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle ben View Post
Cubieman,

I received my aileron upgrade wing yesterday and as I assembled it (putting in the servo) I noticed a severe lack of travel on the ailerons. Examining the connectors I noticed that when they assembled the torque tubes into the ailerons more than a little glue had dribbled out into the channel. Slicing away the offending hot glue provided full range of motion in my ailerons. I would check those little plastic plates because the glue is almost transparent and went without notice until I was troubleshooting the problem.

gentle ben
+1. Good call. Stupid stuff like that, you find it all the time. However, the Ares is much better about it's design than say, Hobby King and Banana Hobby planes that universally need TONS of pre maiden mods just to get in the air.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:57 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2012
23 Posts
Hey Chino and Ben, thanks for the responses.

Chino, my issue was I bought a DX6i and it came with three receivers. At the same time I got the brushless setup and aileron wing. Using the Spektrum radio and receiver with the brushless setup was when I noticed it was going slow, almost slower than the stock brushed motor. The radio seemed to be set up fine, the only issue I was having with the DX6i is that the throttle would not respond until about 1/4 stick. So every time I would use throttle trim so it would start spinning from any stick up movement.

Then I put in the stock 370 receiver and used it with the stock 370 radio. I also used the stock 8x6 prop instead of the GWS prop. And with that setup it was MUCH faster, but that was when the motor came apart. But I flew yesterday with the Spektrum Tx/Rx using the STOCK 370 prop and it was good to go. My verdict, the GWS prop was to flimsy using the brushless motor with a 3S 11.1V battery and when it spooled up fast the prop would flatten out enough to affect performance.

I wish I could figure out why the throttle always needs to be trimmed using the DX6i radio, but it sounds like others are having the same issue from what I've read in this thread.

And thanks for the tips about working the ailerons by hand, I will do that. The one thing I can't figure out is that the servo in the aileron wing keeps "working" aka wanting to move when I work the ailerons. Another way to put it, whenever I move the ailerons and hold it to one side or the other you can hear the "buzzing" sound of the servo, like it still wants to move. On my elevator and rudder you can hold the controls to each extreme and you don't hear the "buzzing" sound. I might try mounting the servo the other way and get longer control rods.

Ben, if you look right by the servo there is a wood insert in the wing, hard to tell by the close up. Are you able to do endless rolls with the travel of your ailerons? I might need a new servo with more torque.
Cubieman is offline Find More Posts by Cubieman
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdukeboy View Post
Hey Chino, thanks for all the advice and help on here. You mentioned pre flight checks and checking solder connections. How do you do that and how do you know if you have a bad solder joint. I'm starting to think that may have been my power loss problem a while back.
The main soldering joints you can do anything about are the battery connectors and the ESC battery connector. Often, home soldering connections wear out due to repeated pulling in and out the charger/plane and you have to be careful about ensuring these electrical points are solid. I redid a battery connection today. Just part of the checklist.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:13 AM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubieman View Post

Chino, my issue was I bought a DX6i and it came with three receivers. At the same time I got the brushless setup and aileron wing. Using the Spektrum radio and receiver with the brushless setup was when I noticed it was going slow, almost slower than the stock brushed motor. The radio seemed to be set up fine, the only issue I was having with the DX6i is that the throttle would not respond until about 1/4 stick. So every time I would use throttle trim so it would start spinning from any stick up movement.

Then I put in the stock 370 receiver and used it with the stock 370 radio. I also used the stock 8x6 prop instead of the GWS prop. And with that setup it was MUCH faster, but that was when the motor came apart. But I flew yesterday with the Spektrum Tx/Rx using the STOCK 370 prop and it was good to go. My verdict, the GWS prop was to flimsy using the brushless motor with a 3S 11.1V battery and when it spooled up fast the prop would flatten out enough to affect performance.

I wish I could figure out why the throttle always needs to be trimmed using the DX6i radio, but it sounds like others are having the same issue from what I've read in this thread.

And thanks for the tips about working the ailerons by hand, I will do that. The one thing I can't figure out is that the servo in the aileron wing keeps "working" aka wanting to move when I work the ailerons. Another way to put it, whenever I move the ailerons and hold it to one side or the other you can hear the "buzzing" sound of the servo, like it still wants to move. On my elevator and rudder you can hold the controls to each extreme and you don't hear the "buzzing" sound. I might try mounting the servo the other way and get longer control rods.

Ben, if you look right by the servo there is a wood insert in the wing, hard to tell by the close up. Are you able to do endless rolls with the travel of your ailerons? I might need a new servo with more torque.
Cubieman

I suspect the buzzing is caused by the fact that the ailerons run out of travel before the servo does. If you limit the amount of travel of the servo (with the radio) that is allowed that should take care of the buzzing. As far as the effectiveness of the ailerons I cannot attest to this and it does not look like I will be flying anytime soon. My DX 6 I lost its throttle channel last night. I still have a multitude of 4 channel transmitters that came with my ultra micro's that have not been used in lieu of the DX 6 I. It may be time to change brands of radio? But then again… It might just be time to upgrade :-)

gentle ben
gentle ben is offline Find More Posts by gentle ben
Last edited by gentle ben; Dec 03, 2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Nov 2010
321 Posts
I'm debating on whether or not I want to get a DX6i for Christmas or spend the extra to get a DX7s. Rather go Futaba but the multitude of BNF planes and helis is too much to resist.

Good news though, I have a replacement motor shaft on order and should have it next week or so. Picked up an extra motor in the mean time and will have it as a backup. Can change a motor at the field and not so much the prop shaft...
iTz Nicholas72 is offline Find More Posts by iTz Nicholas72
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:30 PM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
958 Posts
I am now having the same issue. The DX-7s seems to be about $209 with the member discount shipped from Wholesale Trains. The DX-6i is $136 with member discount. I am having my DX-6i repaired and will use it as a backup. All I need is another transmitter as I am up to my armpits and receivers and servos.

gentle ben
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,170 Posts
On myDX6i, I replaced 2 of the servo trim button actuators on the Rudder and Elevator. They had both gone out and wouldn't depress the tiny button inside (no beep). Anyway, the fix was easy and didn't cost a dime. At the time it happened I was thinking, "Jeez, now I have to drop more money into a new Transmitter just when my wife was giving me a hard time with all of the planes I got!"
As for the buzzing sound that Cubbie man has. It could be that the servo is getting jammed on something or the control rods are tight for whatever reason. I would check all of that to make sure that the servo has complete freedom of movement and I bet the buzzing will go away.
BTW, I added a second controlhorn on the elevator, ran the control rod in with the rudder rod and attached them with a collar style connector to the servo. Much stronger elevator action!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubieman View Post

While I don't have any "genuine" Spektrum receivers, I don't have any problem with throttle. But then again, I don't have the stock ESC/motor setup.
I have 3 theories:
1) your Tx is not set up properly. Check travel adjust.
2) the wire into the throttle slot in the RX is not inserted in the right direction.
3) the ESC is in programming mode for some reason. However, I don't know if it is even programmable.
Just curious, do you have the same problem with all 3 Spektrum receivers?
I don't know if any of this well help.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle ben View Post
I am now having the same issue. The DX-7s seems to be about $209 with the member discount shipped from Wholesale Trains. The DX-6i is $136 with member discount. I am having my DX-6i repaired and will use it as a backup. All I need is another transmitter as I am up to my armpits and receivers and servos.

gentle ben
I noticed that the Wholesale Trains website has A LOT of negative reviews on google. Hmmmmm.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:43 AM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
958 Posts
Chino,

I don't know about that, they have always been very good with me both in service and customer information. Granted, I try to use my local hobby shop whenever possible but my local hobby shop is 60 miles away. I am at work during their hours of operation, consequently I use the Internet for great deal of purchasing.

gentle ben
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:17 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Sep 2008
158 Posts
If you guys are trying to decided on where to buy a new radio. I would try your local HobbyTown. Most Hobbytowns can issue the same deals and rebates that Horizon offers. Plus you are helping a local retailer. Now I know that some of you may not be close to a HobbyTown so I would understand
huskerfreak is offline Find More Posts by huskerfreak
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:26 PM
United States, CA, Walnut
Joined Sep 2006
757 Posts
Pro

Hey all

We got the call today that my Gamma Pro was in so we made the 60 mile round trip and picked her up. Nice looking plane I had a little trouble with the little screws for the tail since my surgery I don't have much feeling in my right thumb and forefinger.

A special thanks to Huskerfreak for his help he gave my wife with getting this ordered for my birthday.

I'll get the receiver in and get her all set up tomorrow a little to tired to rush it's out tonite so I could fly tomorrow morning .

My wife loves the size of it should be just perfect for school yard where we fly the TM 400 and slow stick

Gary
Blusaber is offline Find More Posts by Blusaber
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:36 AM
United States, CA, Walnut
Joined Sep 2006
757 Posts
Progress

Morning everyone

Making progress. I changed out all of the servos for EXI D213 digital ones.
I use Skylipo 1300 3s and I wasn't going to be happy stuffing them in the battery chamber with the 4mm banana plugs on them so I put the esc down there ran the wires under the deck and came up in front of the servos, leaves me a nice big clean area to mount the battery under the wing. Super easy to get COG right.

Today I need to put the connecter on the esc , set up the control rods, put the collect style prop adapter on and program the radio.

Thank you to Hobbytown Corona they were great to work with. They had already checked the plane out for any damage before calling me . You don't get that kinda of service form online stores. Only problem was wife would not let me browse the store

Gary
Blusaber is offline Find More Posts by Blusaber
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:46 AM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
958 Posts
Blusaber,

I'm especially interested in the performance of the motor and speed control. I recently purchased a brushless upgrade for my gamma 370 and was disappointed to find out that the motor and the speed controller were both nonfunctional. Jason M. Assures me that the quality control has improved. I will look forward to your report on your new plane.

gentle ben