Gary
Blusaber is offline Find More Posts by Blusaber
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:49 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,514 Posts
I just saw on the same website the Ares Nano Micro Tiger Moth with 3 channel control!
Deal me in!
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:15 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Sep 2008
167 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151386752009892

Video one flying at the Concord, CA HobbyTown!
huskerfreak is offline Find More Posts by huskerfreak
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:23 AM
Joined Oct 2012
23 Posts
Hey huskerfreak and ty_horn, I live in Lincoln as well, that makes 3 of us.

I love this plane, I was thinking of getting a Flyzone Cessna 182 next, but I might just save some money and go for the 370 Pro when that comes out instead. I'd love a second one as I have friends that would like to learn to fly as well.

I started flying with no help and needless to say crashed about my first 9-10 flights, the Gamma can take a BEATING, some crashes were quite bad. After crashing every time I got Realflight Simulator and it payed off BIG time. I hooked my PC up to my 42" and practiced for hours. The next time I took the 370 out I had 3 ROG takeoffs and 3 successful landings. Didn't even break a prop. After about 15 more times out with no issues I bought the brushless and aileron wing. Although I have only flown the aileron wing a few times. I still use the stock wing to practice my landings. I bought two e-flight 2s 7.4V 1250mAh batteries
at the south Hobbytown and tonight bought a e-flight 3s 11.1V 1250mAh as well, want to try that out tomorrow hopefully. The e-flight batteries were EC3, but I took the time to solder the Gammas's ESC from Tamiya to EC3 because of the bad things people say about Tamiya plugs.

Where are you Lincoln guys flying at? I've been flying at Pioneers park, although it's not ideal because the "take off/landing strip" if about the width of a sidewalk, and its gravel so I've been getting nose-in landings about every time. Thinking of bigger wheels. I just don't want to damage my brushless setup.
Cubieman is offline Find More Posts by Cubieman
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Nov 2012
42 Posts
New gamma 370 owner

So far 8hrs of sim time and 30 mins of actual flying time. Now waiting for the wind to calm down.
flgamma is offline Find More Posts by flgamma
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:04 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,750 Posts
Hey cubbieman I actually live in Seward.... I finally bought one of these birds cause it was only $89 on black Friday! Awesome.
I haven't even taken it out of the box because I plan to put my own electronics in it. I would like to know what people have used for a brushless motor besides the stock upgrade... I want to keep it light but would like to go verticle as well
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:02 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
Hey cubbieman I actually live in Seward.... I finally bought one of these birds cause it was only $89 on black Friday! Awesome.
I haven't even taken it out of the box because I plan to put my own electronics in it. I would like to know what people have used for a brushless motor besides the stock upgrade... I want to keep it light but would like to go verticle as well
I had an FMS T-28 800mm that I picked up from Banana Hobby. Too many crashes and I finally left her for dead. I pulled off all of the usable things from the plane: motor, ESC, servos, control horns etc and transplanted the 1550kv motor. I'm not sure of the size, it's slightly bigger than the Ares brushless motor but it still fits onto the stock brushless motor mount which is attached to the 10mm mounting "stick."
A 30 amp ESC, 8X6 masterairscrew prop, 3.17mm prop adapter.
A big jump in performance from the Ares 370 brushless motor setup.
With a Nano-Tech 1300mah battery, I can go vertical for about 500 feet, do outside loops and do strong hammerheads repeatedly.
A balanced prop is must at these higher revs.
I get about 7 mins of high spirited flying or about 9-10 minutes of mixed aerobatics and just cruising.
What a great plane! Perfect size for flying in the neighborhood. Forgiving.
The only thing I have left to mod is the landing gear. It's a bit bouncy on asphalt and ground loops more than I'd like. I've been thinking about adding some music wire tensioners to the landing gear to stiffen them up just enough to get rid of the bounce. --> Sounds like a good winter project.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:47 PM
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,750 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the info. I haven't figured out for sure what I want to do with this plane. It would be kind of fun to hang from the prop with it since it is so light :-)
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
Cool. Thanks for the info. I haven't figured out for sure what I want to do with this plane. It would be kind of fun to hang from the prop with it since it is so light :-)
The Ares Gamma 370 YouTube video of the brushless setup on Page 1 of this thread shows the Gamma prop hanging in the last minute or so. Pretty cool.
I can do prop hanging, just not very well. I need lots of practice.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Nov 2010
321 Posts
Looks like I'll be picking up a new fuselage payday... Haha

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354127225.816460.jpg
Views: 75
Size: 125.0 KB
Description:

Could try the steam method to try and straighten out the nose but its not worth the effort. This one has been snapped in two three times, split open to replace plastic gearbox shaft with basswood, and, now smushed up from a nosedive from 25Ft full speed.

Was doing some inverted flying got a little close to the trees then panicked and gave what would normally be up elevator but instead went straight into the ground.

Surprisingly the motor shaft didn't bend at all!
iTz Nicholas72 is offline Find More Posts by iTz Nicholas72
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Oct 2012
23 Posts
I am having issues....I am flying with the brushless and it seems SLOWER than stock. I can't figure this out. I have bought a second brushless motor and 2nd ESC, and I still can't seem to figure out the issue.

How much does the angle of the prop shaft affect lift/speed? It almost looks like the shaft is pointed a few degrees down more than it should. I am running this on my DX6i and every time I have to put the throttle trim almost all the way up otherwise the motor won't start spinning until about 1/4 stick.

I have tried hooking it back up to the stock Rx/Tx and the power still seems to by the same. It just sucks because I remember with the stock brushed motor I would constantly have to give elevator stick up to keep it from climbing, now I have to give it elevator down just to keep it in the air. Not to mention I am running a 11.1V 1250mAh battery on it, with the 7.4V the problem is even worse. What could be going on here?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:17 PM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
983 Posts
What prop are you using?
gentle ben is online now Find More Posts by gentle ben
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:51 AM
Joined Oct 2012
23 Posts
I have been using the GWS orange 8x6 props. Today I picked up some of the stock Ares 8x6 props. I noticed that the Ares props seem a bit stiffer. I was thinking possibly the GWS prop were flimsy enough that when the brushed motor spins up it "flattens" them out a bit? I'll see tomorrow if this is the case. I just don't get it....
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:59 AM
Joined Nov 2010
321 Posts
I like the Eflite props best for BL. Very very sturdy compared to stock and with brushless don't have to worry about bending shafts.

Going to try a 10x7 tomorrow morning!
iTz Nicholas72 is offline Find More Posts by iTz Nicholas72
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:34 AM
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,750 Posts
I still want to stick a park 480 or something in this plane. :-)