HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:33 PM
Joined Apr 2005
94 Posts
Yup. It's a 60 mile round trip. I sure hope it is worth it.
bamb_i is offline Find More Posts by bamb_i
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:25 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
bamb_i, did you ever get your plane taken care of?
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Apr 2005
94 Posts
It has unfortunately become a long story now.
I am waiting for Jason here (who has indeed been remarkably understanding and helpful so far) to sort out few things. It would be unfair for me to rant here without giving him a chance.

I am also hesitant to keep involving him directly. But Ares Contact phone goes to VM of a person who would only be back on the 23rd! Email to Ares Support has not been responded to for the past 48 hrs. Hobbytown Customer support is just a call center. She said someone from corporate would call back.
I am hoping I would not be resigned to eat the $100.Being a rookie pilot is not easy!

Will keep you posted.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:40 AM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,110 Posts
Hello everyone,

Apologies for our delayed response as myself, many of our (Ares) and HobbyTown USA's support staff were attending the HobbyTown USA National Convention this week. The managers and staff from many HobbyTown stores, as well as staff from most of the leading manufacturers and distributors in the industry, were also in attendance this week. The convention ended earlier today and most of us will be traveling tomorrow but we've already contacted bamb_i and will be sure to help him out in any way possible.

Also, we heard lots of positive feedback regarding the Gamma 370 here at the convention. Everyone that's had a chance to fly the airplane in 'stock' form agrees it's a fantastic trainer and sport flyer, and most stores have already sold out of the RFR version. And those that have had a chance to fly it with the optional aileron wing and brushless power system installed were often surprised by the aerobatic capability and performance...even including pilots that often fly much larger and high-performance airplanes (myself included ).

On a related note, the next shipments of parts and airplanes are already on the way to the warehouse now, but in the meantime please be sure to check for immediate availability with your local store (especially if you're interested in picking up an RFR version). And while not all HobbyTown USA stores have the airplanes and/or parts in stock at the moment (since they were just released a few weeks back), after the very positive feedback heard here at the convention hopefully nearly all will have stock after the next shipments arrive.

PS chucksolo69...we hope to visit the San Marcos store with Gamma 370 demo models in the next week or so

Jason Merkle
Ares RC Product Development
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
Jason, that is great news. I am itching to get my hands on the "aileron" wing and brushless system, but didn't want to have to drive all the way out to the Temecula area to do so. One question though, does the aileron wing include the installed servos or will I have to provide those and install them myself? Thanks.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:31 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,655 Posts
Hello all... I'm a new member and a new follower of this website. I'm a beginner with about 2 hours of rc flying time experience. After flying Cox Sky Cruisers and Sky Raiders and a Flyzone Albatross 3 channel micro planes, I purchased a Parkzone P-51 micro 4 channel as a challenge to myself to "graduate" to full aileron control. I tried to fly the P-51 at the local flying field and "buddy boxed" with a senior flyer. The little plane tossed around in light breezes and I realized that these little planes, that I'm so enamored by are not that great for learning how to fly. Thus, Last week I got one of the RTF Ares Gamma 370's at my local Hobby Town Store after watching the YouTube videos. I was quite impressed. I also got the aileron wing upgrade, the brush less motor, the necessary servo and servo wire, all for the future. I've had 6 flights so far, all w/o drama (which is what I wanted).
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChinoDiablo; Jul 16, 2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:46 PM
Joined Jul 2012
2,655 Posts
Sorry, I hit the send button before I wanted... let me finish my story. Of those 6 flights, I busted 2 props on landings that were what I thought quite docile. Cheap fixes. The overall flight experience was great. Great visibility and stability. A loop here and there. I got it to about 500 away and had great confidence in control. No problem with moderate breezes. I wouldn't have had that with those smaller planes that I have. I really want to feel fluent with 3 channel flying before installing the hi power motor and aileron wing. Maybe in another month. I highly recommend joining the AMA and a local rc flying club. Those with experience can save you a lot of money in helping you not crash your plane. It's not rocket science but flying RC is definitely better when taught and learned rather than by the school of hard crashes, which becomes very expensive and discouraging.
My goal for the next 6 flights is not to bust any props!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:19 AM
Joined Apr 2005
94 Posts
Good to hear about your experience. Darned, I am so jealous!!
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
Well, had a bit of a hard time today with the Gamma 370. I had just taken off and it was flying fine when I went into a turn and the plane stopped responding. It luckily crashed in some tall weeds and the damage was limited to a broken prop. I replaced the prop and flew her again. Just after take off, the plane again stopped responding. It crashed again and luckily, no damage. I took her back to the car and opened her up. I noticed that when I touched the battery, the servos would glitch and the light on my Spektrum AR6100e would go out. I happened to have a EC2 to Tamiya connector and changed the battery out with one of the batteries from my HZ Firebird Stratos. Everything worked as it was supposed to. Anyway, the culprit turned out to be a bad battery wire where it joins the body of the battery. This caused a power outage and made the RX stop communicating with the TX. Anyway, the Ares lipo batteries that fit the Gamma 370 are only $15.00 so no big thing, I'm just glad the plane survived.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:08 AM
United States, KY, Danville
Joined Jul 2007
100 Posts
Interested!

Hey everyone,

This thread has been helpful to me to pick out my next plane. I've got this plane in my cart over on the Hobbytown website! I'm wondering if someone could please tell me how much the aileron upgrade is and how much the brushless motor upgrade is? I've seen the pricing on the batteries, but I'm not having any luck with how much the other upgrades are.

Also, I am new to the acronym, RFR. I understand that it is "Ready For Receiver", and I own a Futaba AZPT4EX-72. But, I know little of how I would buy a receiver that would match the transmitter and the plane. Plus, I would have no idea how to buy a battery along with it, and if so, what battery could I buy and use in this plane. I guess I would also need a LIPO charger... It is confusing for me, at this point.

Please let me know. Thanks!
Drifter99 is offline Find More Posts by Drifter99
Last edited by Drifter99; Jul 15, 2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:04 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
Drifter, I answered your questions here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1691985
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:59 AM
Joined Jul 2012
2,655 Posts
This is HobbyTown USA pricing: The aileron wing upgrade was $29. The servo was $9. The servo wire was $3.
I purchased the RTF version even though I already have a Spektrum DX5e because I don't have a spektrum receiver yet. The RFR version was $79, RTF was $129. BTw... the plane comes with battery and charger. The brushless motor with ESC was $40.
Hope this helps
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:16 AM
Joined Jul 2012
2,655 Posts
Well, I've had 3 more flights, all successful, all with perfect landings and NO broken props! The Gamma floats like a butterfly when landing with no power. I have 2 stock 1000Mah batteries and a 1350Mah battery giving me a total of over 35 minutes of in-air flight time at one outing! This has been most rewarding especially considering that I pretty much totaled my PZ Micro P-51 yesterday (waaaahhhh!). Damn Ailerons! I'll figure them out hopefully before the summer's done. In the meantime my main goal is to master 3 channel flying. I'm almost there.
If/when I convert the Gamma to 4 channel and brushless I need to remind myself to give myself plenty of altitude. The YouTube videos of aileron flying with the Gamma are very sexy and low altitude and I'm kidding myself if I think I can do any of those maneuvers anytime this year!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:30 AM
Joined Jul 2012
2,655 Posts
BTW - I really like the motor "arming" button on the side of the plane. You can never be too safe.

I LOVE the arming button for the motor! Smart. Very smart.
I've nearly slashed my wrist with other planes. That is a rather unsettling feeling!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
I found that for me, the trick to flying a 4 channel plane, where the ailerons basically replace the rudder function on a 3 channel plane, is to get a radio that has adjustable dual rates. I recently purchased and maidened a Parkzone T-28 Trojan. I fly it with a Spektrum DX6i. After my first successful maiden flight, I crashed it on my second flight. I fixed it and realized that since the DX6i is a compute radio and you need to set the dual rates, unlike my first radio, the DX5e which are programmed in to the TX for you. I threw the dual rates switches on my DX6i thinking I was getting dual rates......wrong; it was a dumb mistake on my part. I have since set the dual rates on my T-28 to 60% aileron and rudder and 75% elevator. This makes the T-28 easy to fly as the control throws are set so the plane isn't as twitchy as on full 100% rate. Keep in mind too, that because the Gamma has dihedral in the wings, it will self right itself if you let go of the sticks. Any low wing plane with ailerons and with little to no dihedral in the wings will NOT self right. When you bank into a turn, you need to cancel the turn by righting the plane yourself using opposite aileron. That is the hardest thing that I had to learn when going from 3 channel to 4 channel. Also, when banking a 4 channel plane, you need to remember to give the plane a little bit of up elevator so she doesn't lose too much altitude and banks smoothly. Remember the old rule for 4 channel planes, BANK with the ailerons, and then YANK a bit of up elevator; the old Bank and Yank approach. Works everytime.