HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:11 PM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
Discussion
Ares Gamma 370 RTF and RFR (Ready-For-Receiver)

Hello everyone,

The new Ares Gamma 370 RTF and RFR (Ready-For-Receiver) airplanes arrived in HobbyTown USA stores this week. Many stores also have the optional accessories and spare parts in stock now!

Also, the RTF version airplane is available on www.HobbyTown.com but the RFR version is already sold out online (so try your local store for immediate availability or check the web site again in a few weeks). The optional accessories and spare parts should also be available on the web site soon.

Please see below and check out our web site (www.Ares-RC.com) for more information on the Gamma 370. You can also follow us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/AresRadioControl), Twitter (www.twitter.com/AresRC) and YouTube (www.youtube.com/AresRadioControl).

Features
• Incredibly smooth and stable flight performance that’s perfect for sport flying or learning how to fly
• Advanced EPO foam airframe design and construction that’s lightweight, durable and easy to repair
• Factory-installed power system, ESC and separate 9-gram sub-micro servos (RTF and RFR versions)
• Standard-size 6-channel 2.4GHz transmitter and installed 6-channel receiver (RTF version only)
• Lightweight 1000mAh 2S 7.4V LiPo battery, DC balancing charger and AC adapter (RTF version only)
• Larger than typical micro and mini class models for better visibility and handling in light wind conditions
• Steerable tailwheel for improved ground handling and easier takeoffs from smooth surfaces
• 370-motor equipped power system and optional-use prop saver to help protect the propeller and gearbox
• Optional aileron-equipped wing set for full 4-channel control and aerobatic capability without modifications
• Ready for easy installation of the optional brushless power system that includes mount, motor and ESC

Overview
The Ares™ [air-eez] Gamma 370 offers stability and durability perfect for first-time pilots while also delivering smooth and capable flight performance experienced sport flyers will enjoy. The advanced EPO foam airframe design is not only lightweight, durable and easy to repair, it also arrives factory-assembled and nearly ready-to-fly right out of the box so you can be flying at a local park, schoolyard or flying field in almost no time at all.

Also, unlike other similar class models that require significant modifications and expense to upgrade to brushless power systems or aileron control, the Gamma 370 is designed so it’s ready for both. The very affordable Brushless Power System Upgrade Combo includes a brushless ESC plus a powerful 370 brushless motor and mount that install easily in minutes. And for full 4-channel control and aerobatic capability the optional aileron-equipped wing set can be mounted in place of the standard wing without the need for any modifications.

The Gamma 370 is available in RTF (Ready-To-Fly) and RFR (Ready-For-Receiver) versions that include a factory-installed 370-motor equipped power system, ESC and 9-gram sub-micro servos. The RFR version is ready for you to install a receiver compatible with your favorite transmitter while the RTF version includes everything needed to fly right out of the box. From AA batteries for the 6-channel 2.4GHz transmitter and a 6-channel receiver to the 1000mAh 2S 7.4V LiPo battery, DC balancing charger and AC adapter there’s nothing extra to buy!

So whether you’re a first-time pilot looking for a great trainer or an experienced pilot looking for a fantastic sport flyer, there’s no better choice and no better value than the Gamma 370!

Specifications
Wingspan: 38.6 in (980mm)
Length: 30.6 in (775mm)
Weight with Battery: 16.0 oz (455 g)
Battery: 1000mAh 2S 7.4V LiPo (included with RTF, required for RFR)
Charger: DC 2S 7.4V LiPo Balancing and AC adapter (included with RTF, required for RFR)
Transmitter: 6-channel 2.4GHz (included with RTF, required for RFR)
On-Board Electronics: Receiver (installed in RTF, required for RFR), ESC and 2 servos (installed in RTF and RFR)

AZS1200; Gamma 370 RTF -- $129.99*
AZS1202; Gamma 370 RFR (Ready-For-Receiver) -- $79.99*

*At participating retailers
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jason M; Jun 29, 2012 at 11:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:13 PM
17 years on RCG!
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
Hello again everyone,

Here also are a few quick videos of the new Ares Gamma 370 RTF and RFR:

Ares Gamma 370 RTF / RFR Flown Stock (1) (4 min 21 sec)

Ares Gamma 370 RTF / RFR Flown with Optional Aileron Wing and Brushless Power System (5 min 30 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Apr 2005
94 Posts
Anyone has this? Is this a good plane to graduate to from Champ? Conversion to 4ch also possible later...
Trying to find reviews without success barring couple of youtube videos.
bamb_i is offline Find More Posts by bamb_i
Old Jul 06, 2012, 05:13 PM
17 years on RCG!
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
Hello bamb_i,

The Gamma 370 is a great park flyer-sized trainer and sport flyer. It's also a perfect choice for the 'next step' after learning to fly the Champ, and if you can fly the Champ comfortably you should have no issues flying the Gamma 370 as well. Best of all it's a perfect 4-channel/aerobatic trainer after installing the Aileron (Aerobatic) Wing Set, and as seen in the video above, is also capable of advanced aerobatics including rolling circles, knife edge, hovering and more.

Also, both Fly RC magazine (www.FlyRC.com) and 2 Brothers Hobby (www.2BFly.com) will be reviewing the Gamma 370. Their reviews are likely still a few weeks away from being published though so in the meantime be sure to check out the various videos recently posted on YouTube including an 'unboxing' from the HobbyTown USA in Orland Park, IL and flying videos from other guys that have already purchased and are really enjoying the Gamma 370:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....0.-HNjlqyQv-8

And although the Gamma 370 has only been available in stores for a few weeks now we've already received lots of positive feedback regarding the incredible value and excellent flight characteristics it offers and look forward to hearing more here on the forum soon!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jason M; Jul 06, 2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:43 AM
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
I bought a Gamma 370 today as my birthday present from my wife and kids. I took it out and 30 seconds into the flight the plane became uncontrollable and crashed. I walked up to it and none of the electronics were working. My son noticed that my controller didn't have any lights on it. There is an issue with the controller. I took everything back to hobby town explaining the situation to them. They made a work order and it being Saturday couldn't call Ares.

I'm hoping that the company stands behind their product and either replaces the plane, or refunds my money. To lose a plane because of transmitter problems out of the box is unacceptable. I'm not sure if anyone else has had an issue similar to this but I'm hoping its an isolated thing. Other than that "small" issue I was pretty happy with the plane. It was easy to assemble, and for 30 seconds it was super stable and easy to control. It'll provide hours of fun for me when she is fixed/ replaced.

Chris
Chris Mu is offline Find More Posts by Chris Mu
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined Apr 2005
94 Posts
Happy Birthday Chris!!
Now here is the thing. I share the birthday with you (July 7th) and I bought the Gamma too..as guess what ... a birthday present ! Talk about coincidence!

I am yet to assemble mine though. After the very positive encouragement from Jason M, your experience was a dampner! Do keep us posted about how Ares handles your issue. That would indicate the kind of support we can expect from them going forward.
I bought the TX ready version. I am going to bind it to my Spectrum DX6i and hopefully there will not be a TX/RX issue. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:53 PM
17 years on RCG!
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
Hello Chris,

Very sorry to hear about the crash, and rest assured, we and HobbyTown USA will continue to stand behind all Ares products. Please private message me the location of the store, the name for your contact there and your contact info so we can be sure our product support staff has the airplane replaced as soon as possible.

Also, as is the case for all brands and products, from time to time a very small percentage may experience issues. Our warranty covers any such issues fully, and fortunately this issue seems to be isolated as we've already sold hundreds of Gamma 370 airplanes over the last few weeks and have received no other similar reports.

On a related note, if this is your first ever 3+ channel RC aircraft model (and as noted in the instruction manual) it's highly recommended to allow a more experienced pilot to test fly and properly trim the model before making your first (next) flight. A proven flyable and properly trimmed model is significantly easier and more enjoyable to fly so it's a good idea to check with the store and/or a local flying club to find a more experienced pilot near you.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Apr 2005
94 Posts
Jason
Could you please let me know the ideal minimum flying field size needed for this aircraft? I have about a little more than half a soccer field behind my house, surrounded by tall trees. I can fly the champ fairly well with full control within that area. Actually maybe fly well within half that size. Could I hope to fly within the space mentioned?
Thanks.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:44 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,015 Posts
I maidened my Gamma 370 today and find it flies very docil and with the stock motor, and very slowly. This is definately a great beginner plane. I bought the receiver ready model and bound it to my DX6i using a Spektrum 6115e RX. The plane went together well, and it needed very little trimming out of the box with the exception of the elevator, which had to have the clevis lengthened about 5 turns. The oversize wheels made it a breeze to land in dirt and it took off very straight and did a very scale looking ROG takeoff from dirt as well. My only question would be if it would be OK to fly this plane using the optional aileron wing with the stock motor? I would describe this plane's flying characteristics as being between the HZ Champ and the HZ Super Cub. I was able to do nice double loops with this plane, but it has a tendency to climb at about 3/4 throttle or more. This is a "keeper" plane and a welcome addition to my growing collection.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:39 PM
Joined Apr 2005
94 Posts
Jason I PMd you. Pl respond.

Chuck good to know it is a keeper. Hope I can say the same after a little support from HobbyTown.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:37 AM
17 years on RCG!
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
Hello bamb_i,

For your first few flights we recommend flying in a space around the size of a single soccer field (or larger), preferably with no tall trees/obstructions around. Then, after you're more famliar with the performance and handling you'll be able to better determine how much space you can fly in comfortably.

Hello chucksolo69,

Thank you for the report! Also, we have flown the Gamma 370 using the 'stock' brushed motor power system and 2S 1000mAh 20C LiPo batteries with the optional aileron-equipped wing installed. The aileron wing has a tad less area and a different airfoil (for improved aerobatic/inverted flight performance) so it will fly a bit 'faster' than it does with the standard wing but it's capable of most 4-channel aerobatics and still flies very well with the stock power system installed.

On a related note, the optional Brushless Power System Upgrade Combo is available for less than $40 including the ESC, motor and a mount that install easily in minutes. You can use the stock 9x7 or a 10x7 prop with 2S 1000-1300mAh batteries for 15-25% more power and up to 50% more flight time or you can use an 8x6 prop and 3S 1000-1300mAh batteries for more than double the power of the stock power system. And as seen in the video above, with the 8x6 prop and a 3S battery installed the brushless power system delivers unlimited vertical performance and great speed perfect for performing even advanced 4-channel aerobatic manuevers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Apr 2011
5,015 Posts
Jason, it is actually among the best $102.00 I have spent on a plane. I say $102.00 because that included the flight battery since I bought the RxR version. I was mildly surprised when I found that the lipo battery was only $15.00. I am used to spending at least 40-45 dollars on batteries for my other planes so that price was great. I may pick up a couple of more when I buy the aileron wing this weekend. Unfortunately, my local HobbyTown, San Marcos, CA does not stock the Ares models and I was forced to travel 35 miles to the Temecula, CA HobbyTown to buy this great plane. Incidently, I saw the ad for the Gamma 370 in Model Airplane News and was intrigued by the cost of the plane and the ready to install options that require little modification if any. Ares did a good job on this one. Now if I could only convince my local HobbyTown to stock parts. BTW - I really like the motor "arming" button on the side of the plane. You can never be too safe.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:13 PM
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
Jason and others,
I'm happy to report that Ares and Hobby Town did indeed take care of everything for me. We even pulled out the radio before I left to make sure that everything worked properly. I got the plane in the air around 8 after dinner. We had 7mph winds.

This was the first time I have ever flown an actual aircraft. I (not having any experience) found that the plane was super easy to control with the stock wing. I even found myself doing barrel rolls, taking the plane into a stall, and "buzzing" my kids as they stood watching in awe!

What a fantastic beginner aircraft. From wheels up it inspired confidence. I was at our local youth baseball fields and was even able to land within the sand diamond every time. The only scary moment was when I hit the lipo cut off and the prop stopped. Fortunately I was high enough over the trees that I was able to get it turned and angled to the outfields. I landed with no issue except the landing gear got snagged in the grass and it nosed the craft over. Fortunately nothing was broken or bent.

As the pig in the commercials says, "Pure adrenaline..... WEEEEE!"

Thanks for the offer of assistance Jason.

Chris

PS
I'm an Air Force Vet so I've been around planes quite a bit and understand the mechanics of take off and landing. (No I wasn't a pilot)
Chris Mu is offline Find More Posts by Chris Mu
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:47 PM
Joined Apr 2005
94 Posts
Good for you Chris!

Wish my experience was similar...
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Apr 2011
5,015 Posts
Bamb_i, there could be something wrong with the plane. Take it back to HobbyTown and let them take a look at it. I'm sure they will make it right if the plane is defective. It sure sounds like it.