HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:21 PM
Joined Jun 2012
97 Posts
Discussion
Dynam hawk sky newbie question

I just got the hawk skyand as I was building it the manual stated, "insert rod into second hole of horn and press the horn into elevator". The pic in manual shows the nut and bolt in the first outer hole which is larger than the other two holes. I tried to put the tiny bolt into the second hole but the hole was so small it would not fit. I have it in the larger hole for both the rudder and elevator. is this ok???
I have 3 other planes that I have broken and would really like to keep this in one piece!!!
Please advise
mman is offline Find More Posts by mman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined Feb 2011
94 Posts
Using the top hole will be a good place to start. I started mine in the center hole but have moved to the lowest hole. That hole gives the most throw. If you want to use a hole that is to small then I take my xacto knife and carefully ream the hole till my EZ connector fits in. Just be careful not to over ream it and break the hole open. You will enjoy the plane.
john50049 is offline Find More Posts by john50049
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Jun 2012
97 Posts
Thanks John for the prompt response. So I will just leave it in the larger hole, per your suggestion. I have put tape all over and think I have the cg right. Battery is all the way up nose. All trims look ok...... I've put a little Velcro soft side only in the wing to tighten down a bit....any suggestions before take off tomorrow?
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:44 AM
Joined Feb 2011
94 Posts
Just start about 3/4 power, give it a good toss about 30 to 40 degrees and good chance it will go down before it gets up to speed. Just depends how much power you have in it. Some of my glidders go about straight up and some drop gaining speed. One of mine almost makes it to the ground and then starts climbing out. Just relax and don't give the controls to much input as you are taking off. If you are new you (and I have) tend to really give to much input and then you soon loose control and down it comes. If it doesn't work first time just learn from your mistakes. Wish I could be there to help you. If I can stand the heat I hope to do a little flying tomorrow. Have fun and let us know how it went. Good luck
john50049 is offline Find More Posts by john50049
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:57 AM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,225 Posts
I have the Hawkfighter, the CF reinforced version of the Hawksky. The Hawkfighter weighs more and has a more powerfull motor than the Hawksky. If find with my HF a full power level spear throw works best. If you do not put enough effort into the launch the plane will hit the ground.
Great_Goose is online now Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:48 AM
Joined Jun 2012
97 Posts
report on flight.....

ok the good news first. I was able to fly the plane. Infact I flew it over 1 hour with two batteries. Winds were high at about 12-15 miles per hour and threw the plane pretty good. I was really scared the whole time but had a blast.
Now the bad news... I decided to make an adjustment to the elevator as the trim was set all the way down. I flew the plane great, and then for some reason, I lost control and the plane spiralled down without any input from me.... the plane laned in the swimming pool of the local Y. I was so scared that some one got hurt. So I ran to the pool and everyone was ok. Just scared because the plane landed in water. The lifegaurd, brought the plane that was now on smoldering and smoke coming through the wing. I took the battery out and and took the plane home. the ESC had caught on fire and burned a hole throught he fuselage into the wing. I'm glad that no one got hurt, But man I have bad luck.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:28 PM
SW PA
Joined Aug 2010
429 Posts
Hey mman,
Yup....now you will start to learn. Fear not....we ALL have been there in one way or another. It's part of your "pilot training".

The HS is quite a resilient plane that definitely can take a beating & keep-on-flyin'. I have (2), one 72MHZ(my everyday) & a 2.4 that has not maidened yet as I am contemplating cutting down to make a Hawkfighter(ala KillerPlanes). My 72MHz has had several mishaps, & one with a failed ESC that I replaced with a Turnigy 25A & no problems since. Couple wing dents easily steamed out, severed elevator & aileron repaired with new hinges. It still flies superb.

A couple suggestions
(1) Carefully cut a small hole in the nose that will aid the cooling.
(2) Get a DuBro prop adapter....gonna need a 2mm that has to be lathe-drilled to .091 dia. That will just slide on the motor shaft & allow the collet to tighten nicely. Then add an APC 6X5.5 elec. prop.....huge difference with performance & easy to change as the stock props are a pain to remove/replace. I fly with HP Premium 2200Mah 20C 3S & excellent flight times.

Fix it....improve it....FLY IT!!!!!

Denny
yorkiepap is offline Find More Posts by yorkiepap
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:51 PM
Joined Jun 2012
97 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement. I love the work on your motor. I have to admit though what you are saying about changing the motor and shaving the rod is over my head!! I replaced the burned parts and was flying again this morning. With my skill level this plane is plenty fast. I've read there is a v3 engine that's an upgrade. I was wondering can't I just change to the new prop you were suggesting without messing with the plane
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:42 PM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,225 Posts
The easiest upgrade is to put a 6x4 prop on it. You my want to move up to a 30 amp ESC at the same time to be safe.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Jun 2012
97 Posts
So please tell me again how to put the prop on. (if you give me website link that would be very helpful) By the way as I changed the electronics, I changed to a 30 amp esc.
I have a 2200 milli amp battery...is that ok to use??
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:12 AM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,225 Posts
The 2200mah battery is fine I use a mix of 2200mah and 2450mah batteries.
I buy my props from www.killerplanes.com but your LHS probably has them make sure it is for a pusher mount motor. I have attached pictures below show you what you should get, some instructions and most importantly adapters if it does not have adapters do not buy it.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 10:08 AM
Joined Jun 2012
97 Posts
Ok so I think I figurd out the problem. It was the tx. And receiver combo. I put another set of dynam tx. Receiver and no issues....I had a bad crash again near the pool and figured it couldnt be pilot error again!!!!