HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:09 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Interesting to see the bird reports. I had my Mig out last night and ran three batteries through it. I've had birds chase airplanes before, but last night, I had a spectacular dog fight with not one, but an ENTIRE FLOCK of swallows. There must have been about 50 of them chasing the mig, coming in from every direction. There is something so cool about shooting out ahead of them at WOT, rolling fast and yanking back on the sticks to bring the fight back to them. it was hillarious to see a black cloud of birds chasing the Mig, only to have the Mig spin around and chase the black cloud. I was afraid I'd get one in the intake!

Definitely hooked on this Mig, can't wait to get out again tonight.

East Coast - how's your paperclip nosewheel holding up? I can already tell that it won't be long before I'm going to have to replace mine, and I'm thinking I liked the look of yours better. Also, what did you use to hold the wheel on?

I have Barn Swallows that chase planes...I've allowed the Barn Swallows 3 years of nesting at my house...(I have a pond in my back yard and they are GREAT for mosquito control!!!)...In the evenings they come from everywhere to dogfight with whatever I'm flying...Then they all line up on the rain gutter chattering away at each other and me before retiring to their nests for the night...They're are my little buds!!!...

Looks like I'll build one of these from parts for 3S operation...Unless someone cracks the AS3X code to be able to individually adjust the gyros for each axis...If so, I'll buy one in the box!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:53 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Ooops, mistake, I believe the weight was 0.1 from Pug but Husafreak used 1mm CF rod which he placed INSIDE the horizontal stab!!!!!
I, also, did the shish kabob mod, skewering fine CF rod through the middle of the horizontal stabs. (That's in addition to the single-piece CF going through the vertical stab and spanning both sides of the horizontal stab -- which I think is important.)

As someone here (Husafreak?) suggested, this additional CF-rod shish kabob has the benefit of extending CF reinforcement all the way out to the stab's tips. And I inserted short pieces of CF rod into the elevator tips, for the same reason.

IMO, that's a worthwhile benefit for very little added weight.

All that CF in the tail feathers is roughly offset by nose and belly reinforcements. So, little or no effect on CG.

She flys great -- which says a lot, considering the dumb thumbs at the controls.

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:22 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,761 Posts
whoa, I didn't even notice that before in your pics, that's nice looking!
rcoconut is online now Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:55 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,308 Posts
Anyone having issues with the rudder not working or responding? I also get a hissing sound now coming from the control board....
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:12 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topforce View Post
Thanks for the info kalmon. Im gonna try 3s. Wondering now if HK has a compatible motor with lower kv for 3s....Going to try it anyway though.
It would defeat the purpose of going 3S if you dropped the kV. If you want to unload the motor - drop the blade count to 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impmotor View Post
Since I am replacing servos, I thought that I would treat myself to a new fuse and tail. I did not realize that the wings were glued to the fuse. I have a talent for making more work for myself. Does anyone know how to remove the wings intact from the fuse?
They are sandwiched into the fuse with lugs. Pop the bottom fuse away and remove the sticky tape from the wing joint on the bottom of the wing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyplugs View Post
Anyone having issues with the rudder not working or responding? I also get a hissing sound now coming from the control board....
Your pinion has come off the motor(probably melted off after locking up). Time for a new servo.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:17 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
whoa, I didn't even notice that before in your pics, that's nice looking!
In the earlier photo, those skinny CF rods weren't there.

I added them after some RCG genius suggested them.

(I just checked.......it was Husafreak......see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1212)

Dave
pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:03 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,308 Posts
[QUOTE Your pinion has come off the motor(probably melted off after locking up). Time for a new servo.[/QUOTE]

not so sure about that...

this is a video of how it reacts as soon as you power it up

Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:02 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,253 Posts
Now I am even more sure of it. Pop the hood and take a look.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:35 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
1,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
I don't know the reason, but my MiG seems to attract MANY more avians than any other micro I fly.

Gene K
Do you think their mistaking it for this?
flydown is online now Find More Posts by flydown
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:42 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,308 Posts
well i only have a handful of flights and the last flight it did act odd and hooked nose down in the grass wonder if it burnt a servo like you said.
oh well i really need to listen to my gut next time to stay clear of the little micros not worth the headaches and certainly not for 3 min flight times lol
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:29 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,743 Posts
Quote:
well i only have a handful of flights and the last flight it did act odd and hooked nose down in the grass wonder if it burnt a servo like you said.
oh well i really need to listen to my gut next time to stay clear of the little micros not worth the headaches and certainly not for 3 min flight times lol
The Micros are actually really fun to fly, and for the most part durable. I have a UM T-28, UMX Sbach342, UMX Beast3D, 2x UMX Extra300 3D, UMX Carbon Cub, UMX Mig-15 and a Blade mCPx. They are all still flying, only had a couple minor issues with one of the Extra300s and HH Customer service took care of immediately and that plane is still flying today! As with every mass produced item there are bound to be defects. The reason I buy HH products is the customer service is great.

As to the 3 min flight times, Contact RCBabbel and get a few BB TP325s, 5 min with throttle management.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:06 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Sep 2010
224 Posts
the micros are not for everyone.

but i am a micro fan, ive been waiting for this little jet for a while, and i have a perfect flying spot very close by.

i have a ton of hyperion 240's , but im wondering if i should get the 320's ?

i dont like heavy planes, and i dont mind the 3 min flights, are the 240's getting at least 3 min flights?
fusionsx00 is offline Find More Posts by fusionsx00
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:39 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionsx00 View Post
the micros are not for everyone.

but i am a micro fan, ive been waiting for this little jet for a while, and i have a perfect flying spot very close by.

i have a ton of hyperion 240's , but im wondering if i should get the 320's ?

i dont like heavy planes, and i dont mind the 3 min flights, are the 240's getting at least 3 min flights?
If you mean Hyperion 320 (and making your own pack) they would be to big. If you want longer flight, you can go with MiniAviation (300mah), Thunder Power (325mah, but unless you buy them from RCBabbel, they come with the wrong connector) and if you don't mind not having lot of punch, but way longer flight, the Rhino 360mah (Great fit, light, very cheap, but connector is a red JST so you need an adapter, or you have to install your own UMX connector)

The Hyperion 240mah gives you 3 minutes, even if you do WOT most of the time. You can even do 3 minutes with 180mah, but a bit of throttle management is recommended.

You need a longer runway than most UMs so far.
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:40 AM
Horsham, PA
Joined Aug 2007
137 Posts
Quote:
I have had a number of micros including an original ember, a T-28, the MIG and a few homebuilt kits. Despite the problems I have had with the MIG's elevator servo I have absolutely no complaints. I have decided that I like micros a whole lot more than larger planes. This seems to go for helicopters as well. Despite my aging eyes, small is better. Note to self, when one is red/green colorblind, do not fly the MIG below the tree line on the far side of field in low light).
Has anyone else tried the Glacier 20C 210mAh from EP Buddies? They are comparable to the stock battery and at $3.95@ are quite affordable and quickly available to those of us in the eastern US.
impmotor is offline Find More Posts by impmotor
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:55 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Sep 2010
224 Posts
yeah i make my own packs,

i always change the plugs out,

i dont have any bare 320 mah hyperions , ill just start off with the 240's i have.

my runway is a basketball court, i use half of it for my other micros, so ill be good with the mig

all my larger edf's only get flown at a much larger flying area, and my micros get flown at a football size feild.
fusionsx00 is offline Find More Posts by fusionsx00