HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:58 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,191 Posts
Cant be done. The case is too long and mounts on 2 tabs with 4 screws.

If fantom replaced the case, motor and fan it leads to the board being at fault?

Being his first flight - I wonder if he recharged the lipo first. That could explain the drop in power ? Also, the board and servo's would have had to have been removed to move into the new fuse. I wonder if the antenna is folded back onto the ESC section?

I'm sure someone posted about setting the throttle end point on here but I have not searched it out.

Flying blind here.....
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Jun 2011
9 Posts
I did get the antenna out before securing the board down. The power loss is from the crash. Good power til crash, lowered power 30 seconds after on same battery. I didn't check voltages but will ASAP to make sure, but both batteries give same low power so I don't think it's them. I have tried test flights after each repair and get the same results. A hand launch goes in a 5 foot dive down, even with elev up. Gear launch just rolls along. I guess I'll have to wait til new boards are available. Thanks to all for the info!
fantomwar is offline Find More Posts by fantomwar
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:24 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomwar View Post
I did get the antenna out before securing the board down. The power loss is from the crash. Good power til crash, lowered power 30 seconds after on same battery. I didn't check voltages but will ASAP to make sure, but both batteries give same low power so I don't think it's them. I have tried test flights after each repair and get the same results. A hand launch goes in a 5 foot dive down, even with elev up. Gear launch just rolls along. I guess I'll have to wait til new boards are available. Thanks to all for the info!
Out of curiosity what TX you using?

You've basically ruled out every single option other than the brick or TX. When I said AS3X disabled I meant before advancing the throttle for the first time. All the surfaces will work but AS3X is not Armed until the throttle is advanced.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:30 AM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Mig Safety note

Here's something to think about if you crash your Mig and crunch the nose. I was lucky. I work in an industrial environment, have bad eyes and consequently wear safety glasses all the time.

When my elevator servo died and I crashed I started a post crash checkout. I peered in the nose to see how bad the damage was, then I looked in the tail end and like a dummy hit the throttle to see if the fan turned OK. It did and the bits of foam from the nose that had been knocked loose in the crash were rapidly shot out of the tail into my right eye which was luckily covered with the safety lense. I should have been thinking clear enough to avoid sticking my eye there and starting the motor but I was a bit shook up after the crash. I haven't had that helpless out of control aircraft feeling in a long time.

Hopefully my mistake saves someone else from doing the same.

Happy flying.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:51 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwRcFlight View Post
Here's something to think about if you crash your Mig and crunch the nose. I was lucky. I work in an industrial environment, have bad eyes and consequently wear safety glasses all the time.

When my elevator servo died and I crashed I started a post crash checkout. I peered in the nose to see how bad the damage was, then I looked in the tail end and like a dummy hit the throttle to see if the fan turned OK. It did and the bits of foam from the nose that had been knocked loose in the crash were rapidly shot out of the tail into my right eye which was luckily covered with the safety lense. I should have been thinking clear enough to avoid sticking my eye there and starting the motor but I was a bit shook up after the crash. I haven't had that helpless out of control aircraft feeling in a long time.

Hopefully my mistake saves someone else from doing the same.

Happy flying.
I did the same thing with my Shotgun...bad move!!
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:26 AM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
I did the same thing with my Shotgun...bad move!!
Ouch!
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:40 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Ouch is right! And that is a great safety tip too, BTW. A EDF fan is just like a propeller, but has a barrel to direct it's path in the event of a failure (or direct debris). We should all remember that. My old FB once sucked an RX through a fan doing some bench testing during a build. The shrapnel was awesome, but nasty!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:00 PM
USA
Joined Feb 2002
1,232 Posts
Has anybody decided that this little mig is a bit too easy to fly? Its cool looking and impressive to onlookers,,, but! theres no challenge. It flies easier and more stable than some larger edf jets. Its a non event. I have not read through this whole post,, but is there a way to dis able the as3x?
topforce is offline Find More Posts by topforce
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:35 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topforce View Post
Has anybody decided that this little mig is a bit too easy to fly? Its cool looking and impressive to onlookers,,, but! theres no challenge. It flies easier and more stable than some larger edf jets. Its a non event. I have not read through this whole post,, but is there a way to dis able the as3x?
It is very easy to fly. That was the whole point with this bird. Well....that - plus the larger-scale 'feel' and the ability to handle wind & turbulence that would ground many larger ships.

The topic has been discussed in this thread ad nauseam. The short version: There is no AS3X off switch. Unless someone comes up with a hack, you'll need to change the brick if you want to fly without AS3X.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jul 31, 2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:46 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,992 Posts
Quote:

If you are looking for a challenge, and the thing is 'easy to fly' then that just means you need to do lower, slower, sharper, more frequent, etc maneuvers.

Trust me, if you get froggy enough, you'll be able to pack it in!
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:42 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post

If you are looking for a challenge, and the thing is 'easy to fly' then that just means you need to do lower, slower, sharper, more frequent, etc maneuvers.

Trust me, if you get froggy enough, you'll be able to pack it in!
Agreed on both counts. I find this plane very easy to fly if you are in a big open field. BUT, I have flown it on the front steet dodging light poles and trees and keeping away from house roofs, well, let's just say it seems plenty fast there and I appreciate the control of the AS3X with the gusty / swirly / uneven winds you get from all those houses ... j
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:03 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Hmmm, I didn't like the Mig at all when I first got it. But it's growing on me simply because I find it somewhat challenging. Flying inverted, 2 or 3 feet from the deck, give me goose bumps because I know the elevator won't save me and rolling back up will be VERY tricky. Stalling it while going up, doing the backflip, 15 to 20ft in the air, from a slow straight line, is absolutely great, but you have only once chance to get it back because the ground is coming in quick. Getting a smooth 2 point landing is very challenging (and rewarding!). Even simply landing it on a short runway or a narrow bike path is fun since it does land hotter than any other UM. I have a huge fleet but it's little things like that, which are easy to do on other airplanes, that make me come back to the Mig. Have to admit that otherwise, it's so stable, just flying it around in circle is very boring.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:52 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,481 Posts
Following in the tracks (i.e., copying the ideas) of some of the great airmen on this thread (Eastcoast78 is the greatest of all!!! all hail Eastcoast!!!) -- and being acutely aware of my own stick-and-rudder limitations -- I've made a few protective mods.

With the extra tape, plastic, and CF (but no battery and landing gear), this bird weighs 62 grams. Anyone know how that compares to the naked, out of the box weight?

Dave

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Last edited by pugsam; Aug 20, 2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Credit -- in pink ink!!! -- to Eastcoast 78 for the ideas of the spoon servos covers and the spar across the hor stab!!!!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:26 PM
Joined Jun 2011
9 Posts
Mig-15 crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Out of curiosity what TX you using?

You've basically ruled out every single option other than the brick or TX. When I said AS3X disabled I meant before advancing the throttle for the first time. All the surfaces will work but AS3X is not Armed until the throttle is advanced.

-Brian
I have a spectrum dx6i and all my other planes respond fine with it. On the mig all functions are fine, full throw on all surfaces. I'm not sure what the brick is but I'm guessing something on the board. I even called HH tech support, only choices are send it in for service or wait for boards and do it myself. Boards are due out in Sept or I wait while in the mail, either way it won't see air for a month at least. Sigh
fantomwar is offline Find More Posts by fantomwar
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:53 PM
That will simply buff out
Australia, NSW, Kareela
Joined Jul 2001
283 Posts
Maiden this morning - nice!

Had the maiden of the MIG-15 this morning

Had 2 flights on the 800mm P-51 first to warm up, and then got the MIG out of the box.

Usually on the maiden (especially with the EDFs) it mean getting the plane up and away and then some circuits and figure 8 and land (and a sigh of relief)

However with the MIG it was away and after a couple of circuits, then some loops, barrel rolls and passes low on the deck. Definitely the easiest of my EDFs to fly (I have the 35mm MIG-29 on 3S and F-15 on 2S) and really makes the pilot look good

Will get the additional batteries sorted out and get her out again - best maiden yet!

Bring on the next UMX EDF - what about a twin F-15
Boofhead is offline Find More Posts by Boofhead