SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:24 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Remember Nitro took AS3X out of his mig, so he can program what ever differential he wants via the tx.

I personally feel that there is to much differential in the mig with the stock servos. I think something in the order of 60/40 or even 70/30 would be better. The problem with the way it is is that you need more aileron because you're basically only moving one. This creates drag on that side. AS3X easily corrects for it but I am very interested to see how the standards are going to work.

-Brian
True... But both Nitro and I think that the differential may be made simply by using a different carbon strip, not programming. This still has to be proven though... Even when removing the AS3X board, using the Tx to tweak the differential would yield only so-so results. You would get more accuracy on one side than the other and they would still not move linearly (if the differential is on the servo, not the Rx). I do like his idea to switch the ailerons servos for the Beast one (if if get the ok from the owner of the Beast!). After that, you're right, it will be nice to be able to play with the Tx setup to see the effect of different ratio for the differential.

I also think there's a bit too much differential . My Mig does very ugly rolls unles I do my best to input some elevator (easier for me) or rudder into the roll. Could be only mine though, nobody else is really complaining about the fact the the rolls are not axial, which is strange...
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:11 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2007
46 Posts
Hi,After 20 flights I am still amazed with this little edf Mig 15.Perfect flights and landings everytime! Uploaded a flight video from this morning with mild wind.The mig 15 is my favorite micro plane to fly.I love it!
E-flite UMX MiG 15 Flight (1 min 21 sec)
boolis is offline Find More Posts by boolis
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:25 AM
Registered User
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Aug 2011
34 Posts
As3x

Guys, i have a question...a little off topic but i thought somone here could help me out. If i buy a AS3X brick can I install on a Stryker 180? I know that these boards have the built in servos but i was hoping i could still use it anyways.....anyone know....would love a AS3X Styker.....thanks in advance!
Roly72 is offline Find More Posts by Roly72
Last edited by Roly72; Jul 23, 2012 at 09:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:40 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roly72 View Post
Guys, i have a question...a little off topic but i thought somone here could help me out. If i buy a AS3X can I install on a Stryker 180? I know that these boards have the built in servos but i was hoping i could still use it anyways.....anyone know....would love a AS3X Styker.....thanks in advance!
Nope.... Stryker has elevons and the AS3X receivers is setup for ailerons only. The only AS3X board that would be close is the Hyper Taxi but even if you could get that to work, the HT design is soooooo far away from the Stryker, there's no way the tweaking would fit for the Stryker. One is design to be flown slow, while the other one is a rocket....

Talking about the Stryker, I just flew both aircrafts a few minutes ago... People who say the Mig and the Stryker are about the same, speed wise, do not fly the Stryker at full throttle! Even on very long run, the Mig doesn't get close to the Stryker, speed wise. But I have to admit that's flying the Mig without wheel (but with a very small obstruction, since the servo wire fell in mine. Maybe 3 to 5% obstruction max though), and the Stryker with a GWS prop.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:46 AM
Registered User
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Aug 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Nope.... Stryker has elevons and the AS3X receivers is setup for ailerons only. The only AS3X board that would be close is the Hyper Taxi but even if you could get that to work, the HT design is soooooo far away from the Stryker, there's no way the tweaking would fit for the Stryker. One is design to be flown slow, while the other one is a rocket....

Talking about the Stryker, I just flew both aircrafts a few minutes ago... People who say the Mig and the Stryker are about the same, speed wise, do not fly the Stryker at full throttle! Even on very long run, the Mig doesn't get close to the Stryker, speed wise. But I have to admit that's flying the Mig without wheel (but with a very small obstruction, since the servo wire fell in mine. Maybe 3 to 5% obstruction max though), and the Stryker with a GWS prop.
Thanks RealGambler.....glad you flew he mig without the wheels...how are you liking it? Did you notice a bid difference in speed?
Roly72 is offline Find More Posts by Roly72
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:00 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
True... But both Nitro and I think that the differential may be made simply by using a different carbon strip, not programming. This still has to be proven though...
RG,

If they used a non-linear carbon strip to establish the offset, wouldn't the offset end up at the wrong end of the servo's travel when reversing the servo with the reversing cable? I know that the reversing cable works correctly with the offset servos, which leads me to think that they used another means of establishing the offset.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:04 AM
still trying to get it right
yakhakker's Avatar
benelux
Joined Feb 2009
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roly72 View Post
Guys, i have a question...a little off topic but i thought somone here could help me out. If i buy a AS3X brick can I install on a Stryker 180? I know that these boards have the built in servos but i was hoping i could still use it anyways.....anyone know....would love a AS3X Styker.....thanks in advance!
Strange you should mention that, I have a gut feeling there will be one from HH soon. Like you I hope there is.
yakhakker is offline Find More Posts by yakhakker
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:26 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
RG,

If they used a non-linear carbon strip to establish the offset, wouldn't the offset end up at the wrong end of the servo's travel when reversing the servo with the reversing cable? I know that the reversing cable works correctly with the offset servos, which leads me to think that they used another means of establishing the offset.

Joel
Look at how those servos are installed on the Mig.... They are in the same orientation (gears toward leading edge of the wing). So, if they did use a non-linear carbon strip, it's perfect since the offset is on the same side for both servos, which is what they wanted. Both are offset about 25 (front) and 75 (back). If you use your Tx which send a linear signal (50-50), you find out that it does move very slowly in that 25% section, which could still be caused by the carbon strip being non-linear. It works because both servos have the same orientation... (that's the beauty of those little linear servos). That being said, this is just a discussion... They definitively could be linear carbon strips, and the offset is done on the chip on those servos. The Mig being my only airplane with those offset servos, I'm not willing to use my Ohmmeter to verify my theory, just in case I damage, even slightly, those carbon strips and loose accuracy. If somebody want to do it, I would suggest using very round probes (mine are kept VERY sharped all the time). Best thing would be if one of the HH guys would confirm or deny this theory. Though even then, they have been feed the wrong information every now and then!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:39 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roly72 View Post
Thanks RealGambler.....glad you flew he mig without the wheels...how are you liking it? Did you notice a bid difference in speed?
It's faster, but not by that much (not enough for me), but it was flying a lot better (even in this morning wind, were usually, I had some fluttering...). Sadly, this morning I flew both, the Stryker and the Mig. If I want to fly something without wheels, nothing get close to the Stryker, in my book, so the Mig become my spare airplane (I always bring at least two airplanes with me when I fly). Sure enough, it does fly very scale, so if I want to fly "an airplane", then the Mig is the one to fly over the Stryker. But for speed, and adrenaline rush, I would say the Mig without wheels, will not see as much flight time as my Stryker, so that's really not fair for for such a sweet airplane!

It's a tough choice for me right now. The Mig deserve being flown with wheels, for those sweet landings, but I cannot use it in my favorite city park (landing strip waaaaay to short). I've installed some servo covers, so it may become a belly lander permanently now. I definitively needed something to go along with my Stryker, so it would be great for that. But again, I don't think it doesn't deserve that job. Well, I didn't check my log book, but I'm must be getting close to 100 flights already, so sure enough, I do like it very much, no matter the wheel configuration!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:43 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Look at how those servos are installed on the Mig.... They are in the same orientation (gears toward leading edge of the wing). So, if they did use a non-linear carbon strip, it's perfect since the offset is on the same side for both servos, which is what they wanted. Both are offset about 25 (front) and 75 (back). If you use your Tx which send a linear signal (50-50), you find out that it does move very slowly in that 25% section, which could still be caused by the carbon strip being non-linear. It works because both servos have the same orientation... (that's the beauty of those little linear servos). That being said, this is just a discussion... They definitively could be linear carbon strips, and the offset is done on the chip on those servos. The Mig being my only airplane with those offset servos, I'm not willing to use my Ohmmeter to verify my theory, just in case I damage, even slightly, those carbon strips and loose accuracy. If somebody want to do it, I would suggest using very round probes (mine are kept VERY sharped all the time). Best thing would be if one of the HH guys would confirm or deny this theory. Though even then, they have been feed the wrong information every now and then!
RG,

My point is that the servo-reversing cable works with the offset servos. I've used it to reverse a new offset aileron servo on my CC. The offset "switches sides", so that the differential is still correct - even though the servo's direction is reversed. I guess somebody needs to put the meter to one & find out for sure.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:02 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
RG,

My point is that the servo-reversing cable works with the offset servos. I've used it to reverse a new offset aileron servo on my CC. The offset "switches sides", so that the differential is still correct - even though the servo's direction is reversed. I guess somebody needs to put the meter to one & find out for sure.

Joel
No need for the meter anymore then... If you say that the offset switch side (not just reverse the operation), then, it's a proof that it's not the carbon strip that is non-linear.... Not crazy about that, since accuracy in the 25% section would not be great (since when you move the stick 100% in that section, the reading would be for only 25% of the strip... But this may effectively mean that a servo programmer may be able to do some interesting things, like changing offsets values...
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:12 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
NitroCharged's Avatar
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,207 Posts
OK - the offset servo is a different servo.

I just lined up a standard one against the offset one I popped off the Mig and the component layout while at first looks the same is not. Different track layout and SMD components and locations.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:05 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
So...is it worth it?
To me it is. Very easy to hand launch when you want to fly without gear. No damage on mine from belly landing. I slow down like Turboparker describes on approach and it gently flops on the grass. Only damage I had was wheels ON and landing on hard surface. (scuff on the tail end of the pipe). It flies awesome and looks great. On the deck flybys are awesome (inverted next). It's slowIsh compared to my normal size EDF's on a big club field but the no cost solution to a slow plane is to fly it in smaller and smaller spaces until it doesnt seem slow anymore!

I love my Mig. It gets lots of attention at the field and comments from other pilots that it's the only small plane they've seen that looks good to own.

I got 6 flights in yesterday and it was a blast but the micro Stryker is slightly ahead in my book (except for the time the micro Stryker cut the crap out of the back of my hand on launch!)
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:12 PM
I just need one more plane..
kilabean's Avatar
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Jun 2012
142 Posts
So just picked up mig today. This little mullafulula is pretty damned sweet. Definitely a serious upgrade from my T-28... the barrel rolls on this thing inspire some serious wood. Next flight I'm gonna try a bigger batt, 300ma, but it's considerably larger from a weight aspect. Balance the lipski and see if she can handle the added weight. If you've tried it let me know how it worked pretty please.
kilabean is offline Find More Posts by kilabean
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:33 PM
Elfi Flyer
Doug Sipprell's Avatar
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
The highest-performance pack that fits the MiG is RCBabbel's Thunder Power 325 65c 'UMX' pack. The factory TP packs don't have the right connector, and their heavier than the ones RC makes from bare cells. I've tested the plane with RC's lightweight Hyp 240s, Hyp 320s, and TP 325s. The TP325s are the clear winners. Incidentally, the TP 325s even outperform the Hyp 450s in the Gee Bee, which shows just how good they are.

Joel
Joel: Many thanks for the info. I have had great success with the Hyperion 240's that I have source from RCBabbel. Looks like I will try for some TP325's from Roger.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Official Eflite UMX Beast Owners thread! darksiede Micro Ready-to-Fly 18395 Yesterday 06:00 PM
Discussion Hobbyking Lancaster official owners thread Tartago Electric Warbirds 979 Aug 10, 2014 11:58 AM
Discussion UMX Mig-15 DF Mod Thread NitroCharged Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems 1132 Aug 01, 2014 04:30 PM
Discussion E-flite UMX MiG 15 DF SNEAK PEEK! D PAYNE Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems 2221 Mar 03, 2014 11:33 AM
Sold Eflite F-86 Sabre 15 DF NIB! blue7.62 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 1 Apr 05, 2012 01:35 PM