HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:19 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post

For me, AS3X would be great for windy days...The problem with AS3X in this MiG is that it's set for a certain max speed---Go any faster and the servos go nuts trying to keep with the plane, causing wagging...
Kevin

Guys,

Is this the official diagnosis at this time???

The airframe can't be reinforced so the MiG will fly well on 3S power?

The MiG high speed 'wag' can only be fixed by gyro gains?

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:20 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
pugsam, I almost had to rear end Jim to get that shot! On the video you'll know exactly when that turn happened.

The video camera was on a tripod so you get a lot of fly pasts - most just a little too high.

Thanks Kevin.

The AS3X will save you from a bad launch every time. Jim launched his yesterday with the most pathetic wrist wave and away it went. It should have gone in. I have to now be on my toes and make sure I launch straight and true to get away safely.

For those concerned about 'people' ripping apart a Mig - there's a solid and critical reason for doing this with mine.
I wanted to know and report what the static thrust, amp draw and real kV of the motor was.
HH said their models don't fly well without the AS3X. I wanted to know if this was truly so.
Some wanted more speed - I tried 3S on the stock board but others were getting the temp protection cutting in. So, rip out the board and install a new ESC in one hit.
So, I found out that this thing is a squirrel the way it is without the gyro and dampening setup. The differential servo's make turning tricky and expo is a must have. I still need to put more expo into the elevator as I found out yesterday when doing those formation flights.

In the great conditions I flew in yesterday it flew great.

On 3S it hammered through the air and was absolutely rock solid - flying straight as an arrow. The ESC gave it some serious poke and it(speed) was pretty impressive. I still have to Doppler the flight. Also on video but static camera again.

RG, I have a feeling the board has a pair of offset resistors setting the zero point of the servo. (I did this myself when playing with servo's a long while ago) Or, I'm completely wrong. I have a servo coming so I'll be able to look at the component side and see what's been done.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:22 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350 View Post
Nice photoshop work pugsam however i ensure you my pic is real.
There were a few times we were so close i thought we were going to make contact.
Yes -- your photo is real, and mine, of course, is not.

It's a tribute to your formation flying -- almost so perfect that it could seem fake!

No disrespect intended...........

Dave

RESPEK (0 min 41 sec)
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by pugsam; Jul 22, 2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: more-respectful vid
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:39 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,757 Posts
Just a thought guys:

I will be wanting to try 3S in mine.
If the extra speed makes the control surfaces twichy then why not move the rods to the outer holes - this should have a secondary effect of dampening the AS3X

Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:41 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
On 3S it hammered through the air and was absolutely rock solid - flying straight as an arrow. The ESC gave it some serious poke and it(speed) was pretty impressive.
Ditto here. The extra weight actually seemed to help it remain stable, but once I got vertical it was too easy to let it get to cut-off on my stock ESC (OCP?), so I'm back on 2S full time now. Loved that extra power, tho'!
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:35 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Guys,

rc
It is as of this time. It flies like it's on rails on 3S without gyro's.

I just clicked to something. I have Jim's smashed Beast3D here (elevator servo failure). I'll have to sms him and ask if I can pull the aileron servo's and stick them in the Mig to see how she goes without the diff servo's.

If not, I can drop some 1.7g orange servo's in there. The originals have to come out sooner or later as the retracts need to go there.

Hopefully, that is the last tweak I would like to do before dropping the hop-up power unit in it.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:06 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Guys,

rc
RC no it is not.

Latest flight report:

I just flew my 3S pack tonight. Outside temp is 87*, Put in the BB180 3S pack. and had a perfect flight. Weather was dead calm. No tail wag or aileron wag the entire flight. The only mods I've done to the Mig are a CF strip on the horizontal stab and the heatsink on the ESC FETs and VR. Ailerons in outermost holes elevator and rudder in stock holes. Battery was placed so that the leads were to the front and the back of the battery was at the edge of the hole in the battery tray.

Flight time was only 2:30 and all three cells were at 3.73 after the flight. I never hit a cutout but I never go over 3/4 throttle on 3S. Even at that setting I can make big round loops and tons of vertical. As far as speed I'd have to guess in the low 50s however my flying area is quite small, especially for a EDF, with the longest straight line about 200ft.

-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:09 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Had a chance to fly the UMX Mig 15 this morning. I was eyeballing one at the LHS this past Saturday, but wanted to temper the "impulse buying" urge with a little research on alternate batteries. Definitely going back to the LHS and pick up a UMX Mig 15 tomorrow, if there is still one on the shelf!

So, my question (please excuse if this has been covered in past posts) is this: Are there alternate 2S battery packs that will fit this plane? I understand MiniAviation as a 300 2S 25C Lipo pack. Any others that can be recommended?

Many thanks in advance.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:13 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Brian, you have to open this thing up WOT into a slight breeze to get over correction - flying it at 3/4 throttle is not really flying it as fast as it can go on 3S.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:10 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Had a chance to fly the UMX Mig 15 this morning. I was eyeballing one at the LHS this past Saturday, but wanted to temper the "impulse buying" urge with a little research on alternate batteries. Definitely going back to the LHS and pick up a UMX Mig 15 tomorrow, if there is still one on the shelf!

So, my question (please excuse if this has been covered in past posts) is this: Are there alternate 2S battery packs that will fit this plane? I understand MiniAviation as a 300 2S 25C Lipo pack. Any others that can be recommended?

Many thanks in advance.

RD
RD,

The highest-performance pack that fits the MiG is RCBabbel's Thunder Power 325 65c 'UMX' pack. The factory TP packs don't have the right connector, and their heavier than the ones RC makes from bare cells. I've tested the plane with RC's lightweight Hyp 240s, Hyp 320s, and TP 325s. The TP325s are the clear winners. Incidentally, the TP 325s even outperform the Hyp 450s in the Gee Bee, which shows just how good they are.

Here's a clip of me flight-testing the three packs:

UMX MiG flight testing - Thunder Power 325 mAh 65c + Hyperion 320 & 240 mAh 25c packs (15 min 45 sec)

Here's a sans-gear performance demo on the TP 325:

UMX MiG 15 sans gear - performance demo (5 min 18 sec)

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:13 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Brian, you have to open this thing up WOT into a slight breeze to get over correction - flying it at 3/4 throttle is not really flying it as fast as it can go on 3S.
True but OCP kicks in at WOT. I know its not temp because its exactly .5 seconds of WOT. That said 3/4 throttle 3S is MUCH more powerful than 2S. I can come out of a sharp 90* bank so no energy and then go to 3/4 throttle and pull a nice big round loop. That's all I really wanted, although the added speed is nice.

-Brian
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:17 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Your comment kind of reminded me it's time to tease Nitro!!!!
Time to tease Nitro???...Yep---I wanna do a video spoof of Nitro---Complete with pony tail and tonguing/slobbering all over the throttle stick to launch while talking in my best Steve Irwin immitation---CRIKEY!!!......He--he!!!......

I said expo but I meant gyro gain...My bad......

As far as pots go I'd rather not have them either but at the moment I would take them over having nothing at all like it just about is now...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:16 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,073 Posts
Quote:
Your comment kind of reminded me it's time to tease Nitro!!!! Let's go back to his month old comment: "I now have a Sabre and a Mig at the same field so the Showdown is imminent!"

So c'mon Nitro, upload that video for us! We know sooooo much about both of those airplanes via all the comments from all the different owners, that your video will look outdated soon! (teasing, Nitro, teasing, I know how long and hard it is to do/edit videos....Thanks for all your hard work)

And Kevin, last thing I would want is pots on this thing. But I'm truly hoping we will be able to do something with the programming. It's not the expo I want to tame down, it's the gyro gains!!! But I'm sure being able to program both would be sweet! I'm still amazed that guys like Nitro fly the Mig with lot of expo. So everybody would be happy. Let's hope we can hack this thing once it comes out!
Your welcome

ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:12 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
I just clicked to something. I have Jim's smashed Beast3D here (elevator servo failure). I'll have to sms him and ask if I can pull the aileron servo's and stick them in the Mig to see how she goes without the diff servo's.
That should be interesting... Rolls are not that axial already, but without the diffential, I have a feeling it may become even worst (even if that doesn't make much sense). And since the rudder is not that efficient, just making a wide turn should show a difference. (And I suspect landings may be a bit harder) It's a very small edf and it does fly a lot like a typical airplane, but I'm expecting that the differential servos will be almost a must (it will be flyable, but I think they do make the whole flying experience much better). Looking forward for your comments for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi supercub View Post
Your welcome

I forgot you're the one doing most of the camera work... Sorry. I usually do the whole thing all alone, that's why I forgot. Well, you do deserve a big thank you as well for all your hard work!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:07 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
That should be interesting... Rolls are not that axial already, but without the diffential, I have a feeling it may become even worst (even if that doesn't make much sense). And since the rudder is not that efficient, just making a wide turn should show a difference. (And I suspect landings may be a bit harder) It's a very small edf and it does fly a lot like a typical airplane, but I'm expecting that the differential servos will be almost a must (it will be flyable, but I think they do make the whole flying experience much better). Looking forward for your comments for sure.
Remember Nitro took AS3X out of his mig, so he can program what ever differential he wants via the tx.

I personally feel that there is to much differential in the mig with the stock servos. I think something in the order of 60/40 or even 70/30 would be better. The problem with the way it is is that you need more aileron because you're basically only moving one. This creates drag on that side. AS3X easily corrects for it but I am very interested to see how the standards are going to work.

-Brian