HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:32 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Mine doesn't tolerate near as much wind as the B3D. I had my mig out yesterday, winds were 12G17 which is almost like dead calm for the B3D, the mig had a hard time with turns to downwind. It was pretty solid except it wanted to sink terribly. Even at full throttle nose up I was descending. I do have one of the tail waggers, even though I thought I fixed it with fixing the rudder. I think the differential servos are to much, they needed something like 60-40 not the 80-20 they have on there. I noticed that on full throttle upwind passes I could bring the mig in close and have a look. And the wag seemed to have aileron drag yaw causing it as much as rudder. Maybe moving the CG forward with a heavier pack would help. I noticed on calm days on my 3S180 I had only a little wag,again that was a calm day.

I guess in summary I'll continue to test it but it appears that 10+winds are having a noticeable decrease in flight performance. Funny how before AS3X 10+mph would have ANY micro grounded!

-Brian
I noticed the same today in about the same wings. gust of 40km/h. i was pretty shaded from a big line of tree's, but was still getting 100% of the wind.

But today was not a day for flying much anything and the AS3X made it possible.
I prob would not of flown my Kite today..without getting airborne myself!

Is there a way to Zero out the diff mechanically and just Program via the TX?
Seeing the servos are off set! not sure how you would?
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:32 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350 View Post
What a great morning for flying.
Hopefully Nitro's video turns out as we had some great formation flying going on with our UMX MIG's

Heres a couple of pics courtesy of Strike3

Nice photo's Jim. Just checking the video now.. been doing some more gyprocking today.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:52 AM
This thing runs real nice...
Joined Jun 2012
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Also, I have determined that my TP 325 65c pack definitely outperforms my Hyp 240 & 320 packs by a significant margin.
Joel

No surprise to me Joel. I did predict as much back on post #406 and just about got flamed for it.

Like you I'll quite happily keep flying my larger packs - plenty of flying time and no penalty from the so called "extra weight".
Nam Lemmi is offline Find More Posts by Nam Lemmi
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:48 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
I noticed the same today in about the same wings. gust of 40km/h. i was pretty shaded from a big line of tree's, but was still getting 100% of the wind.

But today was not a day for flying much anything and the AS3X made it possible.
I prob would not of flown my Kite today..without getting airborne myself!

Is there a way to Zero out the diff mechanically and just Program via the TX?
Seeing the servos are off set! not sure how you would?
It couldn't be done with AS3X, Just do as Nitro said a couple pages back and swap the servos out for the normal non-offset ones like the Beast3D uses. Before I do I'll be doing some testing at my field on a calm day and see if I can notice some adverse yaw with the rudder unplugged and just using the ailerons.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:31 AM
Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
Anyone thought about putting Mig guts in a GP Sabre?

You don't need all of the hardware from a UMX, you can use a single gyro and it makes a huge diff.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1573648

Post#1748

Dennis
DForbes is offline Find More Posts by DForbes
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:35 AM
Horsham, PA
Joined Aug 2007
128 Posts
I have had mine for a week now and having a ball with it. It is my first EDF and I have had to get used to it's speed. The question that I have is that if many of you seem to consider the MIG to be underpowered. If so, what do you consider adequate. I realize that this might be a stupid question, but I have a hard time flying at 3/4 throttle in a large field. I run out of field very quickly and if the field was any larger I would lose orientation.
impmotor is offline Find More Posts by impmotor
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:26 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Jim & Dave,

Cool shots! Looking forward to some formation-flying video!

Nam,

Yeah, I know how that goes. I've been a strong proponent of using quality LiPos in these higher-current apps ever since I joined RCG - and I have taken more than my share of flak for it. I have even been accused of being on the manufacturer's payroll. Whatever.....

Anyway, I can hardly wait for my six TP 325 Babbelbatts to show up! So far, I haven't seen anything that delivers the vertical performance of a lightweight TP 325 65c pack in this plane.

Looks like it's going to be a decent flying day - aside from the heat & humidity. Time to charge my packs & continue to work on my approaches. I'm having a blast coming in nose-high with the stick nearly all the way back.....managing descent-rate with throttle.....coming in on the mains.....with the nose coming down during the rollout. Flying RC doesn't get much better than that! I'm also having fun flying her without the gear. (Never thought I'd hear myself say that!) The big round loops, tall Cuban-eights, and 3-roll vertical climbs are just so much fun - I can't resist.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:10 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DForbes View Post
You don't need all of the hardware from a UMX, you can use a single gyro and it makes a huge diff.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1573648

Post#1748

Dennis
Thanks for the good info! You can do this... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1748 for us lazy-bones.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:34 AM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Because the stock fan is ANEMIC as compared to what many experienced DF flyers are used to!!!..I want an EDF to execute LARGE loops with power...Not to just dive to gain speed and then give full up and hope for the best for an egg shaped loop!!!...

Horizon Hobby has designed this plane so that the newby can fly EDF...To be honest---The power from this plane kind of insults those of us that have flown ducted fans with real power...Forget about what is scale or not---The experienced guys demand that a plane push through the vertical with gusto and not to run out of power 15' into the vertical, mushing the nose over over to gain speed to just fly...

There will always be those that demand more power---There's nothing like seeing a jet make a large perfectly round loop from level flight, with the entry speed being almost equal to the exit speed...

Stock, this plane is a good plane for a micro EDF beginner jet designed for the masses...Anything more advanced and HH would get a huge amount of returns from newbies that don't know how to setup/fly micro EDF's...

Kevin
Hey Kevin,

My point exactlly. This plane is designed to be a biginner UMX EDF with the AS3X. I just couldn't understand why the real experienced EDF fliers would buy it, tear it down and rebuild it to be a rocket. I just thought it would be better and cheaper to scratch build or get an ariframe and build it up yourself from the start. I mean because now you have a brand new battery, ESC and motor you are pulling out and replacing it with a new and bigger battery, ESC and motor. Now you have potentially a $300.00+ UMX when you could have built a knockout mig from an airframe for less and without the biginner AS3X gyro system. Like I said, I am not being critical of anybody, just trying to make sence of it for my own logic. I make a really good living but I watch every penny because I have 4 other people 100% dependent on my and my income. I love to fly but don't want to waste a dime.
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:42 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post

and without the biginner AS3X gyro system.

The AS3X is not for beginners. It's for making small planes fly like big planes. It's for having fun flying in 25mph winds while larger planes are grounded.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:53 AM
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined May 2002
2,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
The AS3X is not for beginners. It's for making small planes fly like big planes. It's for having fun flying in 25mph winds while larger planes are grounded.
That is so true I fly edf planes anywhere from 100 mph to 180 mph and turbines from 150 to 200 mph i bought the little micro mig for the novelty of it , cool little russian mig , not to mention im a really big fan of the mig 15 including the F86 i really can care less about AS3X system i mostly like it cause is small . going for the maiden this morning .
mavdriver is offline Find More Posts by mavdriver
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:07 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
Hey Kevin,

My point exactlly. This plane is designed to be a biginner UMX EDF with the AS3X. I just couldn't understand why the real experienced EDF fliers would buy it, tear it down and rebuild it to be a rocket. I just thought it would be better and cheaper to scratch build or get an ariframe and build it up yourself from the start. I mean because now you have a brand new battery, ESC and motor you are pulling out and replacing it with a new and bigger battery, ESC and motor. Now you have potentially a $300.00+ UMX when you could have built a knockout mig from an airframe for less and without the biginner AS3X gyro system. Like I said, I am not being critical of anybody, just trying to make sence of it for my own logic. I make a really good living but I watch every penny because I have 4 other people 100% dependent on my and my income. I love to fly but don't want to waste a dime.
As Erkq noted, AS3X is most certainly not a beginner's system! It is simply a 3-axis damping system - nothing more. It does not in any way compensate for a pilot's dumb-thumbs. Many of us who have been flying advanced RC aircraft for decades love the system because it makes planes such as the UMX Beast 3D, Carbon Cub, and Gee Bee fly very much like the large-scale ships we've been flying for many years. Plus - AS3X expands the wind-handling envelope of the planes so dramatically that they can handle wind & turbulence better than many giant-scale ships!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:09 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
It couldn't be done with AS3X, Just do as Nitro said a couple pages back and swap the servos out for the normal non-offset ones like the Beast3D uses. Before I do I'll be doing some testing at my field on a calm day and see if I can notice some adverse yaw with the rudder unplugged and just using the ailerons.

-Brian
Didn't somebody enquire about the offset servos when he thought that he had the wrong one?
Apparantly HH said that the differential is programmed in to a standard servo. Wouldn't it be great if we could get hold of a lead to use like we do with the reverser, instead this would put in or remove differential

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:22 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Didn't somebody enquire about the offset servos when he thought that he had the wrong one?
Apparantly HH said that the differential is programmed in to a standard servo. Wouldn't it be great if we could get hold of a lead to use like we do with the reverser, instead this would put in or remove differential

Tony
I was thinking the same thing! Horizon's engineers definitely said that the offset servos are the same as the regular AS3X servos, and that the differential is programmed-in at the factory. Given the above, one would think that there may be a way for us to do it in the field.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:55 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I was thinking the same thing! Horizon's engineers definitely said that the offset servos are the same as the regular AS3X servos, and that the differential is programmed-in at the factory. Given the above, one would think that there may be a way for us to do it in the field.

Joel
I HIGHLY doubt so.... If they ever used the term "programmed-in", it's probably because it was easier for us to understand. Those are probably exactly the same servo, but intead of using a linear carbon strip (under the wipers), they used a logarithmic carbon strip. So, nothing fancy, no processor onboard, nothing to add to the old servos. They can use the same assembly line with the same old parts. The difference is only when you put the carbon strip on the board. And since the carbon strip is a part of the PCB, nothing can be done hardware wise. And sadly, playing with the Tx will only yield strange results (with one side of the servo being way more sensitive than the other side). So, I do believe the only choice is replacing the servos.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler