Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:40 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
trimmed for length
On landing take it way out on your approach slowing down just enough to fly her and not stall as you turn into the final approach, then when lined up just cut the throttle and start your glide in, if you have miss judged it power on before you lose speed and do another circuit, this time cutting the throttle further out, if needed you can feather the throttle to get you in if it's going to miss the runway.

this plane is a real hoot thats for sure and it seems every time i go to the field now i'm flying the Mig and my Habu, just loving this EDF stuff

and just love flying this cool little Mig

cheers chuck
Chuck try the landing method Joel mentioned. It definitely takes a little more practice but once you get good at it that method works wonders. When I first flew mine I was gliding it in, doing that it took about 150-180ft of room for the approach and landing. The Mig glides so well that it just never wanted to land.

Doing a nose high power on approach I'm able to turn line up and land and roll to a stop in less than 100ft now. probably only 60ish ft if belly landing. Not only that the touchdown point is much more consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Not as quick as F86
stock to stock my tests say otherwise. Flying side by side my mig slightly pulled away from the f-86. He was on the near side as well so you can't even blame the visual appearance of the closer one moving faster... Along a 400ft runway about 20 ft up. We came out of a gentle turn and made a full throttle pass. Even though I started about 10 ft behind by the end of the runway I was ahead by maybe a couple ft. Stock Mig on a stock 200mAh pack and bone stock f-86 on anylink, with a stock pack. Actually the only mod to the mig was polycrylic on the bottom to give durability in belly landings. Both planes had gear off.
The F-86 accelerates noticeably faster than the mig though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
About like apples and meat. Seriously, the MiG is such a completely different animal that it's tough to make a comparison between it & the other UMs. The MiG handles higher winds even better than the Beast 3D, and looks even better than the CC. The MiG barely notices a moderate crosswind. Landing in a 5-10 MPH crosswind is a non-event. She's a real pussycat on approach, and she'll slow down to a crawl if the pilot keeps the nose up. Overall, the MiG is an excellent-flying aircraft. But she doesn't have the high thrust-to-weight of the B3D or CC - so big loops, rolling climbs, and tall Cuban-eights require top-quality packs and decent energy-management skills. Also, flight-times are much lower with the MiG - as one would expect.

Joel
I completely agree with everything except the wind. Mine doesn't tolerate near as much wind as the B3D. I had my mig out yesterday, winds were 12G17 which is almost like dead calm for the B3D, the mig had a hard time with turns to downwind. It was pretty solid except it wanted to sink terribly. Even at full throttle nose up I was descending. I do have one of the tail waggers, even though I thought I fixed it with fixing the rudder. I think the differential servos are to much, they needed something like 60-40 not the 80-20 they have on there. I noticed that on full throttle upwind passes I could bring the mig in close and have a look. And the wag seemed to have aileron drag yaw causing it as much as rudder. Maybe moving the CG forward with a heavier pack would help. I noticed on calm days on my 3S180 I had only a little wag,again that was a calm day.

I guess in summary I'll continue to test it but it appears that 10+winds are having a noticeable decrease in flight performance. Funny how before AS3X 10+mph would have ANY micro grounded!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:04 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavdriver View Post
rcoconut just bought mine a bud owe me some money , and bought me one will be flying it tomorrow will give report of the maiden .
Congrats with the purchase Mav! Did you see the boyz over at Pegasus? And did you see the new Habu2 that arrived yesterday?!

Have a good maiden and look forward to hearing 'bout your 1st sortie up in the high desert!!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:27 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Since we are talking about landings on the back wheels first, here's a really short "by the book, almost aircraft carrier style" landing. Video is 40 seconds, because I left a few low level passes for your eyes to get used to the Mig flying (it was getting dark).

Video is choppy a bit (cheap keychain) and it's better if you watch it in high resolution (720P)
UMX Mig low passes and landing. (0 min 39 sec)
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:53 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,804 Posts
Kalmon

Interesting!

My f86 does around 37-40mph; mind you there may be a substantial difference from one plane to the next. Mine seems like it has more thrust than mig, ie more raw power for climbing and whatnot vs top end speed.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:01 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
.....almost aircraft carrier style.....
I'll grade that a "pass."

You would have caught the 3-wire!

ps - bonus points if you can identify the prop job in the first photo.......

Dave

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Last edited by pugsam; Jul 21, 2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: wait....the photo's source caption is a spoiler........
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:17 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
I'll grade that a "pass."

You would have caught the 3-wire!

ps - bonus points if you can identify the prop job in the first photo.......

Dave

Looks like a Sea... uh... wait a minute... I'll get it... Seafairy?
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:23 PM
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined May 2002
2,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Congrats with the purchase Mav! Did you see the boyz over at Pegasus? And did you see the new Habu2 that arrived yesterday?!

Have a good maiden and look forward to hearing 'bout your 1st sortie up in the high desert!!!
I have a habu 32 with tams high power unit 150 mph easy but not had the time to put it together soon though , will be flying the little mig at Norton so will be close by where you live going to take pics might get a friend to video it .
mavdriver is offline Find More Posts by mavdriver
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Aug 2011
46 Posts
just waiting for decals

Here is my umx mig after my repaint, running a hypirian 240 3 cell
jaredeshadoan is offline Find More Posts by jaredeshadoan
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:43 PM
ISP Supervisor
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
722 Posts
Anyone thought about putting Mig guts in a GP Sabre?
makg is offline Find More Posts by makg
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:53 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredeshadoan View Post
Here is my umx mig after my repaint, running a hypirian 240 3 cell
that is pretty cool paint sceme! is it scale? or just something off the top of your head!
What decals are you adding?
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined Aug 2011
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
that is pretty cool paint sceme! is it scale? or just something off the top of your head!
What decals are you adding?
No its not scale, just off the top of my head. Tried to.mimic an Syrian mig I foind on the internet. Prob just adding the original decals.
jaredeshadoan is offline Find More Posts by jaredeshadoan
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:22 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Kalmon

Interesting!

My f86 does around 37-40mph; mind you there may be a substantial difference from one plane to the next. Mine seems like it has more thrust than mig, ie more raw power for climbing and whatnot vs top end speed.
I agree the sabre has more raw power, however the mig with the more efficient semi-symetrical airfoil had less drag at speed and although slower to accelerate has a higher top end. I think the sabre's tunnel is slightly larger leading to a slightly less efflux velocity with more static thrust.

The image: Seafire I have no idea what Mk there was Mk Ib, IIc, III, XV, XVII and then later after they abandoned Roman numerals a 45, 46, 47.

-Brian
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:37 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
......The image: Seafire I have no idea what Mk there was Mk Ib, IIc, III, XV, XVII and then later after they abandoned Roman numerals a 45, 46, 47.
-Brian
You're flying the meatball, Brian!

That photo is identified as, "Seafire III making a carrier landing - arrester hook can be clearly seen"

http://www.spitfires.flyer.co.uk/sup...e_seafire.html

Is there anything cooler than a carrier landing......?

Dave

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:04 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
You're flying the meatball, Brian!

That photo is identified as, "Seafire III making a carrier landing - arrester hook can be clearly seen"

http://www.spitfires.flyer.co.uk/sup...e_seafire.html

Is there anything cooler than a carrier landing......?

Dave

Not picking up the obvious fastback canopy and turtledeck means I should probably bolter As I think the III and XV were the only ones with folding wings AND didn't have a bubble canopy.

-Brian
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:46 PM
Joined Aug 2011
800 Posts
What a great morning for flying.
Hopefully Nitro's video turns out as we had some great formation flying going on with our UMX MIG's

Heres a couple of pics courtesy of Strike3

jim350 is online now Find More Posts by jim350
Last edited by jim350; Jul 22, 2012 at 12:10 AM.