HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,909 Posts
First Flights Were Great

I got off my first two flights and I am very pleased. I would say the Mig is a little faster and more stable in the air. The wing is semi-symetrical (not undercambered like the F-86) and I think this helps. The stall was very gentle and expected.

I was able to cruise around on about 1/2 throttle with some full throttle aerobatics and used about 50% battery in 3 minutes. I think the full throttle is more fun, and half throttle for scale flight.

I think this bird needs some nose down trim with throttle. I am going to try a mix. Not sure on this yet though. Anyone else notice a climb with increase in throttle?
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:09 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
I would say the Mig is a little faster...
Is this your opinion or did you radar or doppler both airframes?
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:49 PM
Western New York
Joined Dec 2007
1,099 Posts
Well I joined the club. Picked mine up today winds were at 5MPH gusting to 12MPH. I know better than to fly micro's in those conditions but just had to try it. All I can say is wow, this bird can handle it. Going into the wind slowed her down but with the UMX it stayed right on course, no trim required. It may not be the fastest bird in the fleet but everything seems to have come together on this one. Even while landing in cross winds she tracked fine
eli5539 is offline Find More Posts by eli5539
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:20 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,157 Posts
Wasn't gona get one of these at first,,,,,, but then I saw one at LHS and read all you guys raving about it,,,, soooo,,, I bit the bullet and got one. Man!!! HH gona drive me into the poor house just recently had to get the Albatros and Hawker hurricane and now this. But like you guys said,, this little guy is a BLAST!!! Surprisingly easy to fly,, looks fantastic in the Air. I've got a pocket radar, so if I can get someone to radar it while I'm flying I'll let you know what kind of speed I can get,, but I'm guessing about 35 mph
Airman74 is online now Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:13 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,585 Posts
I am so tempted to get one of these......
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:46 PM
United States, TX, Montgomery
Joined Aug 2006
1,232 Posts
opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
Is this your opinion or did you radar or doppler both airframes?
didn't radar or doppler but it isn't my opinion it is just a plain simple fact. If you yourself had both models it would become quite clear to you sir. regards donnie
menksters is offline Find More Posts by menksters
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:46 PM
"Add Lightness"..Colin Chapman
Keystone State, USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
I am so tempted to get one of these......
Just do it! Got mine today (see post a page back) and got in 2 flights using Hyperion 240's. All I can say is this is the first Horizon product that I've gotten that literally flew perfectly right out of the box!

I need to work on the CG a bit but other than that it was solid. No mechanical adjustment needed on the control surfaces at all.

I flew at 85% rates to be safe but then went up to 90% on the second battery. Had no problems at 90% and plan on increasing. No expo needed.

Using only my eyes and experience as a judge, I think the Sbach is faster and maybe the V1 Beast with a 5043 and proper batts. This doesn't hinder my satisfaction though. I may be selling my GP F-86....
Elisecat is offline Find More Posts by Elisecat
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:01 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
menkster - I hear a showdown looming...
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:21 PM
Western New York
Joined Dec 2007
1,099 Posts
Where are you purchasing the Hyperion 240's, seems like I do a search and only find 1 cells. Also do you have to change the plud?
Last edited by eli5539; Jul 03, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:23 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by menksters View Post
didn't radar or doppler but it isn't my opinion it is just a plain simple fact. If you yourself had both models it would become quite clear to you sir. regards donnie
Actually the objective data using a radar gun suggests differently when performed in the same conditions and averaged upwind and downwind passes. Oh well for your "just plain old simple facts". Amazing what happens when you actually test stuff out in an objective manner. Eventually Nitro will post his findings so that should be interesting also.
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:38 PM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli5539 View Post
Well I joined the club. Picked mine up today winds were at 5MPH gusting to 12MPH. I know better than to fly micro's in those conditions but just had to try it. All I can say is wow, this bird can handle it. Going into the wind slowed her down but with the UMX it stayed right on course, no trim required. It may not be the fastest bird in the fleet but everything seems to have come together on this one. Even while landing in cross winds she tracked fine
You guys are killing me. I can't wait to get mine!! UPS has it scheduled for Thursday delivery!
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:45 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Well, my MiG that my wife bought me for my birthday months ago finally came in today!

I have my radio programmed and bound to the plane, just waiting on tomorrow to roll around so I can fly it!
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:14 PM
Western New York
Joined Dec 2007
1,099 Posts
Both of you are sure to be happy campers
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:17 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli5539 View Post
Where are you purchasing the Hyperion 240's, seems like I do a search and only find 1 cells. Also do you have to change the plud?
Lookup user RCBabbel. He sells em ready for UMX aircraft.
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:41 PM
still trying to get it right
benelux
Joined Feb 2009
680 Posts
Mine is on its way from the uk and I have ordered a couple of 240mah packs from mylipo.de which are plug and play so I should be in the air with my mig at the weekend, its been a long wait but it sounds like it will be worth it.
yakhakker is offline Find More Posts by yakhakker