HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:13 PM
Winter Flyer
Yukon, Canada
Joined May 2008
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Which was rolling, the MiG or the car tire???

Either way, a pretty picture!

Mig was rolling thank god hahahaha
Spitfire22 is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire22
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:38 PM
Canada, ON, Waterloo
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire22 View Post
Hey guys,
Just had kinda a fast landing that ended me up smacking into a car tire on when it was rolling, the plane is completely fine there's just some ugly damage to the nose (which i find to be the weak spot on the plane), is there an effective way of reshaping the foam?
I had a similar issue on my first attempt at geared landing, except it rolled into a baseball diamond backstop. Nothing a little thumb grease and tape couldn't fix.
PawnBoy is offline Find More Posts by PawnBoy
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:46 PM
Kannapolis, NC
Joined Nov 2007
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
Guys how does this compare to the Great Planes Sabre? Really thinking about getting one...
Get the MIG I had the great planes ended up snapping the wing on both sides the first day trying to figure out how to launch it foam very brittle. Not near the quality of e-flite. Did not fly near as good as the MIG. Ended up selling it for 50.00 just to get it out of the hanger. Fly the MIG everyday and love it. Have 14 Planes UMXs to 90 size Helicopters up to 600 size. The MIG is becoming a go to plane with the S-Bach and the UMX Stryker when I'm flying small.
dtacmed is offline Find More Posts by dtacmed
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:49 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Okay - I'm like 10 pages late on this, but GREAT video East Coast. I got a MIg Video fix AND a Gee Bee fix in one vid. Great camerawork by the way. Thanks for the post, East Coast!

Just a note - I noticed the Gee Bee had a hard time taking off the first time. In the very last frame, it looks like the wheel pants are pidgeon toed - were they fixed? Could just be the camera angle, but, might want to mention it to your buddy, that thing likes to nose over bad enough, pidgeon toed landing gear will only encourage the behavior!
Thanks man, I'm not sure, he did break the wing strut at one point. He had a few not so smooth landings. He's learning
Of course the one he aced... The cam was not recording
I'll pass the camera complements to him. His son recorded the formation flying whcih was pretty good aswell!

I think his first take off was abit crosswind as you see the direction we landed, but ill ask him.

Glad you enjoyed the video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Is there a way to reset the throttle on this bird? My buddies spools up slower now and doesnt see to have the power it did before?

Also one aileron servo is acting weird - wont go down on one side almost like end points are off. Tried rebinding on level ground ect.
I'm not sure what to say about the power issue razor, could it be a old battery?

As for the aileron sticking, I had same issue with my Rudd
Get some contact cleaner with lubricant. Gave it a little spray it free'd up.

Not sure if you seen the flutter vid of my aileron, i had to take it apart and clean the strips with it and a Q Tip

Servo cleaning Starts at 2:40
Blade mCPx Servo Cleaning (8 min 29 sec)

Now they work perfectly
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Jul 20, 2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:08 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
Hi all,

read something about heavier 2S Packs 300mAh and up or 3S packs---what about your CG ???
Wondering because my Mig is with stock 200mAh pack backwads in best CG position and don't need elevator for horizontal flight.
I also use 240mAh packs which are 5g heavier in the backwards positon...little nose heavy CG but still o.k without trim.

Therefore,if you use heavier packs you have nose heavy and have to trim elevator-bad for flight performace !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
hmmm, no reactions concerning my doubts ?

Did anybody modified the battery box by cutting foam backwards ?would it be possible ?
SLK,

I'm flying mine with RCBabbel's lightweight TP 325 65c packs. The plane is just a tiny bit nose-heavy with the pack all the way to the rear of the slot, but not nose-heavy enough to negatively affect flight performance. The TP 325 65c pack provides an obvious improvement in performance over my Hyp 240 & Hyp 320 packs. I have not extended the battery slot aft. Nitro has pretty much dissected the plane. He probably knows if there's room to extend it aft a bit.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:03 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,171 Posts
Thanks will do

The power loss is bizarre

Its almost like the esc is on a slow spool up mode

Can you set the throttle on these bricks?

Edit

Also

When the plane is initalized, and not moving, the servos for ailerons dont center themselves but are closer to the top from center

Doesnt look right to me!
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:26 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,574 Posts
Quote:
Thanks will do

When the plane is initalized, and not moving, the servos for ailerons dont center themselves but are closer to the top from center

Doesnt look right to me!
yea thats normal. There "Longthrow offset servos" it creates differential. did you notice when you bank the aileron one way, the UP Ail travels nearly the full 70% to the other end of the track? and of course the down Ail only travels the 30%
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:53 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,171 Posts
Yeh but his one aileron doesnt have barely any down deflection! Servo works fine

Its weird

But

It flies okay
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:32 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Yeh but his one aileron doesnt have barely any down deflection! Servo works fine

Its weird

But

It flies okay
In this case a picture would help tremendously. if that's not an option take some measurements. From your descriptions so far the servo sounds fine as it is a programmed offset servo. As far as the throttle I have no idea other than there was fan damage and being out of balance or rubbing is causing it to spool up slower. Are there any vibrations especially at low rpms? Is the fan rubbing on the housing? have you taken it apart and tried taking the fan off and just running the motor?

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:00 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,171 Posts
Yes its been taken apart

No fan blades rubbing; seems balanced

Id say the one aileron, i think it was left, has less than 1/8 down deflection, whereas the other side has about double.

Im not a noob by any means which is why i am asking these questions. Trying to help my buddy out.

My sabre has more thrust now; whereas when the mig was new it was equal if not greater.

Maybe the motor is going bad; its been crashes yes but the motor and fan are fine.

Anyways

Perhaps ill try binding it to my radio and see what happens.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:24 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,671 Posts
Your Mig had more power than a GP Sabre?

That is contrary to other reports, I think your motor may have been "running rich" while bedding in, now it all seems normal!

SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:49 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
OK, this is a serious question and i'm not trying to be a smarta#*. Why take a brand new plane that is a great flier and rip it apart, change everything up and try to push it beyond it's tiny limits?

Mostly, because we can. Also, stock configurations are usually boring. I don't leave anything stock when I can make it more powerful with a little work.
my car - bigger turbo
my motorcycle - big bore kit to increase displacement/power
RC airplanes and helis - the biggest motor I can fit in there

It's just what I (and a lot of people here) like to do
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:57 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
281 Posts
Trim issues and initialization

OK so this might be obvious or dumb to post, but we all do dumb things once in a while and having a forum to air your mistakes so others don't do the same helps us all save bucks, right?

This is my first (toy) aircraft with a 3 axis stabilization system. ( I have a few helos that do it on one axis). I guess it's a question about how the AS3X system initializes and what it tracks.

I put the battery in the MiG, then connect it and lay the MiG on the table. It has to be stable, and not move for the gyros to find their place in the world. After about 5 seconds you can pick it up.

Well if you lay the MiG on a table while it initializes with a wing low (ie resting on its wing, about a 20 degree roll attitute), you will experience roll trim problems. You'll have to trim the Mig's ailerons the opposite way in flight for level flight. Duh?

Well next flight I tried the other way, ie resting it on the other wing while it initializes. It wasn't as bad, but it was there.... I think ... I had to trim opposite. Has anybody experienced this or am I starting to lose it? Or was it just a random "bad initialization" that you sometimes get?

This would mean that the stabilization system is not just concerned about instant rates of change but also with the initial positions. It remembers where up and level was when it initialized - it assumes it was level when it initialized and tries to get back to that attitude.

Conclusion: Not only does the aircraft have to be immobile during initialization, it has to be in a level attitude too. I don't find any of this particularly obscure or mysterious, but I don't know the AS3X system. Is the system set up that way, or am I imagining this? The manual only says not to move the aircraft when it initializes, it doesn't mention attitude. Or is this one of those things that should be obvious to a 5 year old?

I also got bit by not really minding the battery placement between two different sized battery. I have to put the stock battery all the way forward. I did the same with other batteries that are shorter and got a nasty surprize that the thing was now too nose-heavy and needed trimming

To add incompetence to ignorance, I even had trouble hand launching it yesterday even thoug I hand launch a Corsair and a UMX P-51 routinely.

Didn't manage to crash it though.
WBKelsoe is offline Find More Posts by WBKelsoe
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:23 AM
Canada, ON, Waterloo
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBKelsoe View Post
...This would mean that the stabilization system is not just concerned about instant rates of change but also with the initial positions. It remembers where up and level was when it initialized - it assumes it was level when it initialized and tries to get back to that attitude.
I'm pretty sure the as3x uses gyros to detect rotational acceleration about each of the 3 axis. The system merely watches for uncommanded rotation about each axis and compensates with an opposite proportional control surface command. As far as I know it doesn't detect lateral acceleration, and thus can't tell which direction it's pointed, all it can tell is if it's rotating or not (assuming the gyros calibrated properly at start up). It will not try to "level the plane" for you or anything like that.
PawnBoy is offline Find More Posts by PawnBoy
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:30 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,190 Posts
WBKelsoe,

Many of us have been flying AS3X-equipped aircraft since the mCP X came out, and we know how the system works. As PawnBoy noted - AS3X is simply a 3-axis gyro-based damping system - nothing more. It is impossible for a gyro to have a sense of up or down. Sensing orientation requires a 3-axis accelerometer or magnetometer, and AS3X doesn't have either one. Therefore, AS3X does not have any means of "knowing" the orientation of the aircraft. As it states in the manuals, orientation is not important when initializing AS3X-equipped planes & heils. The only requirement is than the aircraft remains motionless during the process.

BTW - you're supposed to trim AS3X planes mechanically, as AS3X interprets anything more than about 3 clicks of tx trim as pilot input, which will screw-up the system. I'm not sure what caused the behavior you observed, but it is not in any way related to the orientation of the plane during the initialization process.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member