HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:48 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
These charge in parallel not in series. Your charger will only see 2s no matter how many cells you have plugged in.
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:51 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Nope, this acts like a larger 2s pack, so if you charge 3- 240mah pacls it would be like charging one 2s pack at 720mah. The charging cable should connect to the 2S balance port on your charger for that reason. I have Glenn's harness and I am the one that first wanted the 8 pack harness and he made me one! Makes charging my 2S UM packs a snap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roly72 View Post
Guys, thinking about getting this but have a quick questions. I have a 6s charger so is the max i can do is 3 packs at a time 3 x 2s = 6s. Any help would be appriciated!

Thanks!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:17 AM
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Aug 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Nope, this acts like a larger 2s pack, so if you charge 3- 240mah pacls it would be like charging one 2s pack at 720mah. The charging cable should connect to the 2S balance port on your charger for that reason. I have Glenn's harness and I am the one that first wanted the 8 pack harness and he made me one! Makes charging my 2S UM packs a snap!
That makes sense. So i woul be charging at 1amp per battery....is that correct?

So for example if I am charging 6 at one time it would be charging at 6amps??

Thanks once again!
Roly72 is online now Find More Posts by Roly72
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:25 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,092 Posts
Yup, 1 amp for each battery.

The only thing to be careful of is to make sure all your batteries are connected, if you miss one off then the ones left on will get a faster charge...
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:26 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
That makes sense. So i woul be charging at 1amp per battery....is that correct?

So for example if I am charging 6 at one time it would be charging at 6amps??

Thanks once again!
Depend what C rate you want to charge your battery at......

In the example above, with three 240mah battery in parallel, if you want to charge at 1C, then you set your charger to 3X240mah so 720mah (for most chargers, you would set them to 700mah which is close enough, and just a touch under 1C rate.)

Now let say you have some very good lipo that let you charge them at up to 5C rate, then, you would be ok with YOUR example, if you're using 240mah batteries.

Charging a 240mah battery at 1amp, is about 4.2C, so that's a "safe" way to charge a 5C battery. So, if you do have six good 5C 240mah batteries, then, yes, you could charge all 6 in parallel, by setting your charger to 6amps, and they would charge at a rate slightly above 4C
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:31 AM
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Aug 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Depend what C rate you want to charge your battery at......

In the example above, with three 240mah battery in parallel, if you want to charge at 1C, then you set your charger to 3X240mah so 720mah (for most chargers, you would set them to 700mah which is close enough, and just a touch under 1C rate.)

Now let say you have some very good lipo that let you charge them at up to 5C rate, then, you would be ok with YOUR example, if you're using 240mah batteries.

Charging a 240mah battery at 1amp, is about 4.2C, so that's a "safe" way to charge a 5C battery. So, if you do have six good 5C 240mah batteries, then, yes, you could charge all 6 in parallel, by setting your charger to 6amps, and they would charge at a rate slightly above 4C
Great information.....last question. Can you do different mAh batteries. For example i have several 200mah, 180mah and 300mah. Can i do all of them at the same time or should i only do matching mah batteries?

Thanks,
Roly
Roly72 is online now Find More Posts by Roly72
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:10 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Great information.....last question. Can you do different mAh batteries. For example i have several 200mah, 180mah and 300mah. Can i do all of them at the same time or should i only do matching mah batteries?

Thanks,
Roly
That's a good question. Yesterday was the first time I tried charging my 2s 200mAh & 240mAh together at the same time with the parallel cable. I have the ThunderPower TP610C-ACDC charger & I charged at 0.2a. Although it took 4hrs all six 2s batts were topped off at 8.4v. But for my 3s batts I keep the same mAh together, 1300, 1800 & 2200's. And I can't remember how or why I set the charge rate that way? So my 1300mAh's I charge at 1.3a, 1800's are 1.8a and so on. I think I need to read up on that stuff.....
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:24 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,092 Posts
I'm sure someone said you can charge different mAh rated batteries together. The important thing is to make sure they all have the same C rating...
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:44 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:

Thanks,
Roly
I wouldn't recommend it. Even ignoring that the smaller packs are going to charged at a high C rate simply because of the size you also have the issue of overcharging. They will be full before the others are full. Depending on the charger(constant Voltage or Constant Amp) You'll either overcharge the smaller packs with the possibility of Fireworks or in a constant Voltage as soon as they are full the other packs will be getting that packs share of the power and the C rate will increase possibly causing fireworks. Bottom line, when parallel charging use the same size packs are relatively the same discharge amount (fuel level).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Brian,

Looking forward to it!
Will be an excellent heatsink test.

Don't throw a rod!!

rc
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Did you cut the voltage regulator heat sink in half or did you stick the whole thing on there?
I did cut the VR heatsink in half on the Mig. There is very little room under the brick and I had to carve foam to get it to fit. Even being careful I poked into the Intake ducting. I mentioned earlier the foam under the brick where the VR sits is < 2mm thick. I also had to trim the farthest fin on the FET Heatsink down to fit under the canopy.

Flight report!!

I did two test flights today with the mig after the heatsinks installed. First flight on 2S to verify everything was OK.
For 3S the performance was phenomenal. I was able to fly 30sec sustained 3/4 throttle with no cutouts.This was about 40% more power than WOT 2S. After a Minute of flying I decided to try a full throttle zoom. I set up for a pass and on the downline I opened it up. After watching the shockwave form around the wing root area and the ensuing sonic boom.... j/k
Unfortunately on the WOT pass I hit a cutout less than a second in. I zeroed the throttle and counted one...two... and had power again. I landed and checked the heatsink and it was just warm to the touch. I believe that it was OCP and not Temp that caused it. I'm not really disappointed though as sustained 3/4+ is still a HUGE improvement and knowing that the ESC and VR are staying cool is good piece of mind.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Last edited by kalmon; Jul 19, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:54 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
I'm not really disappointed though as sustained 3/4+ is still a HUGE improvement and knowing that the ESC and VR are staging cool is good piece of mind.

-Brian
Cool! If you want to run 3S all the time you could set your throttle to be 75% at max.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:09 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,366 Posts
Quote:

Thanks,
Roly
There has been different views on charging diff MAH together. I do all the time. on my bigger 3S 2200mah and 1800mah.
Mahs can be different Just dont try and charge a 2cell and a 3cell
I use the parallel charging board from HK with the XT60's and the Charger i use is the TritonEQ
So if im charging a 3S 2200mah and a 3S 1800mah together i set my charger
to 3S 4000mah. As the charging board/charger sees 4000mah and always charges them evenly. That's the whole concept of a balance charging

This is a 1C charge rate and charges 2 of them in a hour or so. Now if i had a charger capable of charging a 8000mah batt. (8A) i would tell my charger its a 3S 8000mah. This would double the charging rate. and charge at a 2Crating in half the time. 30min

So say you have want to charge 2x200's 2x180's and 2x300 batt

2x200=400
2x180=360
2x300=600

400+360+600= 1760mah total

Set your charger to 2S 1700mah and your charger well auto set the A rating for the charge! Which well be 1.4A charge rate.
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Jul 18, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:40 AM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
886 Posts
heavier packs up to 3S

Hi all,

read something about heavier 2S Packs 300mAh and up or 3S packs---what about your CG ???
Wondering because my Mig is with stock 200mAh pack backwads in best CG position and don't need elevator for horizontal flight.
I also use 240mAh packs which are 5g heavier in the backwards positon...little nose heavy CG but still o.k without trim.

Therefore,if you use heavier packs you have nose heavy and have to trim elevator-bad for flight performace !!!
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:53 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
There has been different views on charging diff MAH together. I do all the time. on my bigger 3S 2200mah and 1800mah.
Mahs can be different Just dont try and charge a 2cell and a 3cell
I use the parallel charging board from HK with the XT60's and the Charger i use is the TritonEQ
So if im charging a 3S 2200mah and a 3S 1800mah together i set my charger
to 3S 4000mah. As the charging board/charger sees 4000mah and always charges them evenly. That's the whole concept of a balance charging
LOL!!! I NEVER knew that Easter!!! Makes complete sense to me!! Now I know I can charge my 3s 2200mAh & 1800mAh together with the proper setting!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:58 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
So say you have want to charge 2x200's 2x180's and 2x300 batt

2x400=800
2x180=360
2x300=600

800+360+600= 1760mah total

Set your charger to 2S 1800mah and your charger well auto set the A rating for the charge! Which well be 1.8A charge rate.
Ok, so now that I'm really thinking about it:

2x200=400
4x240= 960

400+960= 1360mAh total

So I set my charger to 1.4A charge rate correct? And that's why it took me over 4hrs to charge 'em all yesterday 'cause I had all of the batts charging at 0.2A, LOL, what a dork!!!!!
Last edited by rcoconut; Jul 18, 2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: words added
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:02 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:

Thanks,
Roly
Mixing packs is tricky, but some people do it, including myself. The thing is, if you use all the same pack value (let say all your battery are 240mah, then, if you fly 3 minutes on all of them, they should be all at about the same discharge level/voltage. When mixing packs, the discharge level will be all over the place. So you risk plugging a very powerfull almost full battery in parallel with a very old and totally discharged battery. Even before you turn on your charger, the full battery will VERY QUICKLY try to charge the low battery, quite often at a higher C rate than recommended. It's very short since both pack will equalize voltage VERY quickly. But even for that short burst, it's bad for the batteries.

When I do charge mixed battery (again, I avoid it as much as I can), I always do it at 1C, just to be safer. So, if I would want to charge two 180mah and two 240mah together, then, I simply add everthing up: 180+180+240+240= 840mah. So I would set up my charger to 800mah MAX. I never mix more than two different packs myself, but yes, you could possibly mix more.

Here's the danger, which could happen even with same packs (if they are not discharged relatively equally), but could be a lot worst with very different packs... Let say you want to charge a Thunder Power 325mah with a E-Flite 180mah. But sadly, you barely used the TP because you crashed, so it's still almost fully charged (around 4.15V per cell or 8.3V for the pack) and you plug it with a old E-Flite 180mah (which is a 1C max battery and it's sitting at 3.4Volts per cell or 6.8V for the pack). So, you're plugging a very powerful 8.3V battery with a weaker 6.8V battery pack which likely as a much higher internal resistance. The TP will try to charge the E-Flite to it's own voltage, and that will happen very quickly (direct/parallel connection). The TP can provide 21amps, so it could try to charge the E-Flite up to 8.3V while providing way too much current into the E-Flite... That's not good. So for now, stick with roughly same packs. Worst case, you'll have maybe 3 or 4 type of packs, so that's still fast! And always use the timer. That way, your discharge packs will all be close to the same voltage level, which is much safer for the packs.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler