HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:58 PM
Joined Aug 2010
305 Posts
So I also joined Mig club today
Bad weather rules here now, so only static impression now. I look fantastic, much better feeling, than when I unpacked UM Mossie. Fal clear of wires, no problem so far
Looking forward to the maiden
awacsCZE is offline Find More Posts by awacsCZE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:24 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
Eastcoast - my rudder servo also started sticking. About the same time I started to have to re-bond every pack or two. Called HH and they sent me a UPS tag to send back to them to check out.
Mine still holds a bind,other then the time i put a dead battery in.

HH is sending me anew Ail servo. had a few flights and got some cleaner ,now the Rudd is moving nicely. Cycled it for a few mins non stop and it never locked up once.

If it starts losing the bind, then ill be looking for a UPS tag
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:58 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,036 Posts
Well, I had to do it -- I grabbed the 3S Babblebatt from my box, and threw it on the Mig... just slides in!

Ran it up in my hand and all seemed well -- even at screaming full throttle.

Took off and flew a lap at half throttle, and except for feeling a bit more plesantly 'planted' due to the extra weight, nothing other than normal. I then gave it the beans, went vertical... and after 1.5 seconds, hit OCP.

Dang.

Hammerheaded out, and while gliding, reset throttle to bottom, tried again... was able to fly just like normal, but at full throttle it cuts out... then I had to deadstick it on the side of the hill.

So it's no worse for wear after the little experiment, and of course, it goes like a banshee at full tilt, but unless I maybe change my throttle travel in the radio down to 90%, I just can't use the 3S on the Mig, as I can't trust myself to stay out of OCP range.

Ambient temp was about 79 degrees F, elevation 100 feet ASL.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:11 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,693 Posts
Awe man Easter, now your RUDD is acting up. Good luck with that fix! Nice nose gear mod as well! I know it's a matter of time for me before the nose gear gives. Although I have only 2 flights, 1st RTO in the parking lot & landing in the baseball in-field & the 2nd flight off RTO & landing on in a dirt field. All good so far.....
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:45 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Well, I had to do it -- I grabbed the 3S Babblebatt from my box, and threw it on the Mig... just slides in!

Took off and flew a lap at half throttle, and except for feeling a bit more plesantly 'planted' due to the extra weight, nothing other than normal. I then gave it the beans, went vertical... and after 1.5 seconds, hit OCP.

Dang.

Hammerheaded out, and while gliding, reset throttle to bottom, tried again... was able to fly just like normal, but at full throttle it cuts out... then I had to deadstick it on the side of the hill.

So it's no worse for wear after the little experiment, and of course, it goes like a banshee at full tilt, but unless I maybe change my throttle travel in the radio down to 90%, I just can't use the 3S on the Mig, as I can't trust myself to stay out of OCP range.

Remember, another way to limit the current, is if you don't charge your battery to a full 12.6Volts.... Since you have no way to monitor low battery voltage anyway, a solution could be to stop charging your battery at a lower voltage. With the other AS3X airplanes, some guys were stopping the charge at 12.0V. You could probably even go a bit lower than that and still get a decent flight (let say 11.75V).
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:57 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,196 Posts
Thanks Dave - so it could also be a board contact issue.. sheeesh... the list grows...
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:05 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Quote:

Dang.

Have you done anything to aid the cooling of the board ?

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:06 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,540 Posts
Quote:

Dang.

I highly doubt it was OCP. Most likely it was the OTP. Adding airflow to the brick will probably solve that. erkq had a great idea over on the Sbach thread of adding a very small heatsink to the FETs. It solved his OTP problem. I had the same experience on 3S, and a quick feel of the plastic canopy right above the esc confirmed it was hot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Remember, another way to limit the current, is if you don't charge your battery to a full 12.6Volts.... Since you have no way to monitor low battery voltage anyway, a solution could be to stop charging your battery at a lower voltage. With the other AS3X airplanes, some guys were stopping the charge at 12.0V. You could probably even go a bit lower than that and still get a decent flight (let say 11.75V).
This would be completely impractical on the mig. It eats through a 200mAh battery in 3 min, even if you have a 320 mAh 3S pack charged to 12.0v you'll only have about 155mAh to work with. This would lead to prohibitively short flight times of about 2min tops. And as you mentioned there is no LVC to save the pack!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:08 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpjohn View Post
Have you done anything to aid the cooling of the board ?

John
Nope. Just wanted to check it out stock. To be honest, I'm perfectly happy at 2S, and only wanted to know if it would work as-is. As I reported, it almost does, which is fine, but I am just not likely to mod myown Mig with a heat-sink, or use a partially charged battery to make it work.

Cheers to all of those out there that ARE going to push the envelope, though!

tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:50 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Awe man Easter, now your RUDD is acting up. Good luck with that fix! Nice nose gear mod as well! I know it's a matter of time for me before the nose gear gives. Although I have only 2 flights, 1st RTO in the parking lot & landing in the baseball in-field & the 2nd flight off RTO & landing on in a dirt field. All good so far.....
Thanks man! i had 2 more flights today to test the rudder. Which is 16 now. It was my own doing, i think the stock LG should hold up. But be very carefull when bending it to straighen up the nose wheel. Needle nose pliers may be best!

Just a after my 2 flights today i headed to the local Speaciality Electronics store. Was going to try The Source, But they have gone to crap down this way! Much better when they were radio shack!

I ended up getting the only thing they carry which is called Clean and Lube by DEX Canada. As i was walking out of the shop, i was reading the back and it said...good on most plastics.. haha!!

So i got home and tested on the side of the servo first..."great it works"!!...So i sprayed the rudd and took the Ail part again.

Man those screws are small. So i scrubbed the 2 pads with a Q-Tip, noticed on the end where i have the jitter, the silver track was pretty dirty! i managed to get 98% of the mark off. I also noticed the little eyelash's I guess thats what you call them?
The one on the far right was bent in quite a bit and was Prob not making contact!
So i bent it back out like the others

Put it all back together and fired her up...Perfect!!I cycled the rudd for a few mins, and it never frozze once. and no more jitter on the AIL. So I'm Happy

Also made a new Nose LG this time with the stiffer wire. I like it more then the softer wire.

So im super stoked that all is in order.

Shame its on a Brand new 200 dollar UMX, but hey thats what i like about the hobby. You alway learn something new!
Also buying from a company that you know, if theres something wrong they well take care of you also!

Heres a Few Pictures
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Jul 17, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:09 PM
Montreal
Joined Aug 2009
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
My MiG had a sticky gear in an aileron servo. Felt like there was a burr, or a piece of grit -- but even with magnification I couldn't spot anything to clean out or scrape down.

I applied a tiny bit of DeoxIT, worked the gear with my finger a few more times, and went to bed.

The next morning, the stickiness was gone.

Dave

DeoxIT huh? I had never heard of such a product but I looked it up and it sounds quite fascinating. Sounds like a very useful product indeed.
Jabberwocky_ is online now Find More Posts by Jabberwocky_
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:46 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,043 Posts
I just saw this Mig at my local hobby shop. It sure look purty! But is it worth $160?

And finally, what would be the closest competing Mig 15 to this?
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:51 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,399 Posts
I've been brain storming the last few days on how and what to use for servo covers.
I could order some.But then i thought of something everyone should have, if not...grab a hand full next time your at a fast food resurant!

Plastic spoons. It worked perfect. just be mind full not to have them touching the gears.
First i placed them over the servo and fitted them, and pushed in a touch, enough to make a little indentation, and give me something to go by once its ready to be glued.
I added clear tape around servo and used CA.
Mine were a bit flat so i warmed them (hold in your hand is enough) and gave it a bit more curve. I also used a blade to flatten/scuffed the edges to help fit and make a good glue joint!
I think there very profile
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:56 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
I just saw this Mig at my local hobby shop. It sure look purty! But is it worth $160?

And finally, what would be the closest competing Mig 15 to this?

Yes its worth it, I love how Big it flys.

Great PlanesŪ F-86 Sabre...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:08 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
I've been brain storming the last few days on how and what to use for servo covers.
I could order some.But then i thought of something everyone should have, if not...grab a hand full next time your at a fast food resurant!

Plastic spoons. It worked perfect. just be mind full not to have them touching the gears.
First i placed them over the servo and fitted them, and pushed in a touch, enough to make a little indentation, and give me something to go by once its ready to be glued.
I added clear tape around servo and used CA.
Mine were a bit flat so i warmed them (hold in your hand is enough) and gave it a bit more curve. I also used a blade to flatten/scuffed the edges to help fit and make a good glue joint!
I think there very profile
They must be a bit heavy though (thick plastic), but wow, do they look good. I love the very profile look (and they are white...). Great job!
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler