HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:52 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Very nice videos Eastcoast. Very nice and short Mig landings! (Cannot say the same for the Gee Bee pilot! : ) )

Flying in formation is very hard! Trick is: One must be the leader and his job is to fly very regular circuit with wide turns, no matter what. Same altitude, same speed all the time, you don't have to do anything else, it's the other that have to catch up to you (don't slow down or speed up). The other guy(s) has(have) to catch up. When following/catching up, I find it's best to simply keep your speed constant as well, and take thighter turns (that's why it's nice if the leader make wide turns) to catch up until you get into formation. That way, you already have the right speed. If, at any time, you're too fast and take the lead for some reason, then, you call "I'm the leader" and it's now up to the other to catch up to you and it's your job to fly regular circuits. That way, it make it easy for everybody, and it's not always the same guy who's leading. In my "team", nobody want to really lead (it's a bit boring,even if it's not that easy to fly perfect circuits all the time), so when you're in the back of the formation, the last thing you want to do is pass the leader!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:28 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
281 Posts
LeMay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
I'm lucky, I would NEVER dream of trying to boss my little german blood wife around (would not want to wake up dead) but she has been awesome about this hobby. She buys me more planes than I buy myself.

I just have to ask, who is the photo you use as your avatar? Lt. General of some sort? Just curious, always interested in a story and there must be a good one behind that.

Marlin

It's General Curtiss LeMay. An interesting man. I wouldn't say he was loved. But he got things done. He was a grown up, with responsibilities, living in a nasty part of history. He started Strategic Air Command. Not to be messed with. I'd have chosen another avatar, but when I registered and you had to put a picture in, I looked at my collection of pictures and that's pretty much the only one I had that had no cleavage showing...
WBKelsoe is offline Find More Posts by WBKelsoe
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:53 AM
Bombs Away...
United States, MI, Lambertville
Joined Nov 2009
262 Posts
Maiden mine yesterday it flew great! Decent speed and i raised the expo to 35 to tame the roll rate a bit. Only thing i have a problem with it u belly land in grass the cannons hook the grass and rip clean off.
AL1EN is offline Find More Posts by AL1EN
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:09 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
281 Posts
Does this thing roll, or what?

Flew going all out yesterday. I had it on high rates. Does this thing roll, or what? A heckuva lot faster than the Beast used to. I knew this thing should roll, but this is ridiculous.

I have a tendancy to fly these micros too low, one of these days it's going to bite me. Strange to say, I like the fact that you must manage energy because of low thrust, just like the real 50's era jets. At least, the micros don't take forever to spool up. Once you build a head of steam, they go pretty good.

Suggestion (that I will try myself): for better vertical, pull smoothly and slowly into the vertical so you don't burn your energy in the pull up. Guys that fly unlimited prop jobs tend to yank it hard into the vertical because they got lots of thrust from the propeller.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:12 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
281 Posts

You convinced me o find a better avatar. This is what I had in mind originally...

Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:24 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBKelsoe View Post
You convinced me o find a better avatar. This is what I had in mind originally...
Ok........that one I CAN"T identify.......who is it?

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:41 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
281 Posts
Robert Stack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post

As General Stillwell (played by Robert Stack) said in the movie:

"That is the craziest SOB I have ever seen. How many more like him do you think are out there?"
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:03 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Eastcost - you got the infamous burred gear tooth going on. You need a jewellers eyeglass to see the burr and use an exacto knife to scrape it off the gear.
thanks, ill see what i can do!

Quote:
My MiG had a sticky gear in an aileron servo. Felt like there was a burr, or a piece of grit -- but even with magnification I couldn't spot anything to clean out or scrape down.

I applied a tiny bit of DeoxIT, worked the gear with my finger a few more times, and went to bed.

The next morning, the stickiness was gone.

Dave

Thanks, im hoping the Rubbing Alcohol i added last night well have cleaned it.
haven't cycled the servo yet this am.

If that dont work, ill head to the elec shop and see what they have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Very nice videos Eastcoast. Very nice and short Mig landings! (Cannot say the same for the Gee Bee pilot! : ) )

Flying in formation is very hard! Trick is: One must be the leader and his job is to fly very regular circuit with wide turns, no matter what. Same altitude, same speed all the time, you don't have to do anything else, it's the other that have to catch up to you (don't slow down or speed up). The other guy(s) has(have) to catch up. When following/catching up, I find it's best to simply keep your speed constant as well, and take thighter turns (that's why it's nice if the leader make wide turns) to catch up until you get into formation. That way, you already have the right speed. If, at any time, you're too fast and take the lead for some reason, then, you call "I'm the leader" and it's now up to the other to catch up to you and it's your job to fly regular circuits. That way, it make it easy for everybody, and it's not always the same guy who's leading. In my "team", nobody want to really lead (it's a bit boring,even if it's not that easy to fly perfect circuits all the time), so when you're in the back of the formation, the last thing you want to do is pass the leader!
thanks, i should rename it to trying to formation flight. ;0) My friend doesn't have a lot of plane experience and i always say ill follow you. sometimes its hard.
not as easy asit look. unless the 2 pilots are on the same page!!

maybe i should gethimto follow me next time!
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:35 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,963 Posts
Quote:

Wild Bill and his P40 (1 min 42 sec)

xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:42 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire22 View Post
2. Once the fan starts pulsing, you have very little power time left. I couldn't even do one more circuit once the pulsing started happening, luckily I was at a field for the maiden so I could set it down anywhere.
You should never run the batteries this far down anyway. You'll kill them off real quick! Time your flights so you put only 80% max of the mAh capacity back in when charging.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:43 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
some formation flying with a Geebee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXwhj...ature=youtu.be
EC,

That was very cool! The big question - who won the pylon race ? (I assume there was a pylon race. If not, we really, need one! )

As RG noted - RC formation flying is very difficult. A couple of guys in the club do some formation flying with large-scale Spitfire & P-40 gassers. They're good friends, and they've spent lots of time flying together. The P-40 is larger & significantly faster than the Spit, so the P-40 pilot flies a larger pattern to make things look right, and then they tighten-up for the high-speed passes down the runway. Cool stuff!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jul 16, 2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:49 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Fader Lube all the servos, I had issues with my Cub until I sprayed all the servos. It will clean the contacts and also blow away any debris.

+1!

DeoxIT FaderLube also conditions & protects carbon & plastic resistive strips. Alcohol and contact cleaners do not provide any conditioning or protection.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:09 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
+1!

DeoxIT FaderLube also conditions & protects carbon & plastic resistive strips. Alcohol and contact cleaners do not provide any conditioning or protection.

Joel
thanks, im going to have to get some. Heading to the park now for a few test flights. then head to the elec store.
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:14 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,877 Posts
Eastcoast - my rudder servo also started sticking. About the same time I started to have to re-bond every pack or two. Called HH and they sent me a UPS tag to send back to them to check out.
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:31 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
thanks, i should rename it to trying to formation flight. ;0)
Don't worry, it will become easier with time. Don't rush either, because as you get better, it doesn't take long before you start collecting a bunch of nice stories about wing touching (often!) or sadly full collisions...
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler