HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:55 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Vertical is not there...so it's fun!

I think it's time to get RG some power!!

rc
LOL.... It's simply because when I fly an airplane, I love finding something about them, very different from all the others I have (and I have a lot). Because this Mig stall very quickly, it's still right there in your face when it does. And that's what so nice about it. I have many EDFs, but since they stalled very high, I never played much with that. But with the Mig, I see myself doing a lot of "going up, stall, going down, going up, stall, going down". But the point is, you're trying to stall, and do a what I call a tail slide (not sure if that's the right term), basically, at the end of the "going up", the Mig fly backward for a few feet! That's a super cool effect. Then, it flip (on it's belly or on it's back) and you go down again. Since it does that low (almost at eye level) and very close to you, it's truly fun. Most of the time though, you end up stalling, and flipping right away (no backward tail sliding). It's still fun, but the whole thing is trying and trying, and nailing a few good tail slides, even if it's just inches.

I also like those funky thight loops that a EDF has a hard time making (while it can do large loops forever). Basically, I'm always looking for something different in each of my aircrafts. What I like about this one is the fact that all those EDF "drawbacks" are happening VERY close to you. With more power, they would happen farther away... Without wheels, it's probably perfect, speed wise, but again, I love those relatively hot landings on wheels as well.

So, I guess I did beat you and got my Mig before you???? YEAH! We got stock in Canada very fast this time. Hope it's not just because people got cold feet over the CC, and all those cancellations went up north because they are missing a decent airplane...
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:06 PM
Diverted by planks
tracknoob's Avatar
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,987 Posts
Yeah, even though I do like throttling way back, and doing scalish circuits around the field at one or two feet off the deck, it is impossible to resist eventually doing those low altitude straight up stalls, break over, then power out... nothing like what you would do in the real plane, but just begging to be done on the model.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:18 PM
Dixie Normious
Eastcoast78's Avatar
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,317 Posts
yea i agree that is a touch much expo but everyone has there preference i guess.
I maidened mine with 25% and flew the first 6 batts like this. So today i knocked it down to 10 and like it. well keep it at that.
I use 40%-50% on my StrykerQ
Had 3 flights today, charged the batts with my 12v lead acid in my flight box for glows. perfect..i posted about using the 3S but yea that is asking to ruin a good batt unless your super careful. the gun barrels didn't last long. lol
Did some inverted flying. nano 180 all the ways forward, very impressed with her belly up.

My TX(7s) has the line in the top left as well. its for the telemetry, no worries your rx is gone bonk!!

got some vid, well post later

man i like this plane.
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:19 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Guys, I think I just found something VERY interesting.... (too windy, had to let my fingers do something else!) The Mig would not be the only one with a programmable receiver!!!!!!!!!!! The Beast, Gee Bee and CC receiver are programmable, as well as the future Ask-21 and Spitfire.

Here's the link:
http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...lity_Chart.pdf

Basically, it's in the user manual section of the USB programmer here:
www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMA3060

Crossing fingers it's not a mistake... Here's a picture in case they remove the link/file later on...
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:27 PM
ISP Supervisor
makg's Avatar
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
722 Posts
VERY interesting find, RG. So then what's the difference between the Beast/CC brick, the Mig brick, and the Gee Bee brick?

I was wondering if I could use a Beast 3D brick in a Mig. Thoughts?
makg is offline Find More Posts by makg
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:34 PM
BMFA 190658
SilentPilot's Avatar
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,992 Posts
Sounds like the difference is only the tail servos on the board....
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:49 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
...
I use 40%-50% on my StrykerQ
...
Yup... the Stryker needs some expo for most of us. It is not an AS3X plane. HH recommends no or very little expo for AS3X. But as you say, it's personal preference. I just wanted to voice that too much can be counter-productive and get in the way of learning to fly these things. I think your 10% is completely reasonable.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:00 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Sounds like the difference is only the tail servos on the board....
Yep, so we would have a servoless 2S Rx, one 2S Rx with two servos onboard, and one 1S Rx with two servos onboard. I assume that the Spit and ASK have two different part number because people who do not own the USB interface would have no way to reprogram it to be vertical or horizontal, but it's more than likely exactly the same board, with a different programming for the end user, hence the different part number.

I wanted a 1S board. Now, if it's programmable, and on top of that I can pick any airplane I want, that's super cool. Can only afford one, so it's a tough choice. Right now, it's the glider, but I have something for warbirds, particularly Spitfires... That will be a tough call. But what's nice is the fact that the board orientation in those two airplanes would be no longer relevant. I can install them in any 1S airplane no matter how they go. (ex. 4-Site and Sukhoi)

Sadly, the Hyper Taxi receiver is clearly listed as not programmable... (was still hoping....)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:12 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
VERY interesting find, RG. So then what's the difference between the Beast/CC brick, the Mig brick, and the Gee Bee brick?

I was wondering if I could use a Beast 3D brick in a Mig. Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Sounds like the difference is only the tail servos on the board....
There is more to it than just the servos. The MiG has airframe-specific AS3X programming, while the Beast 3D, Gee Bee, and Carbon Cub share AS3X settings that were optimized for the beast 3D.

Regarding the EFLU4864 & others being programmable, we really need David or one of the others in aircraft development to chime in, here, since they're the ones who told us that the other bricks aren't programmable. If true, this opens up many new possibilities!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jul 14, 2012 at 03:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:54 PM
Kev Waite
Plymouth UK
Joined Nov 2005
344 Posts
The line on the top left of the screen on a DX7s,DX8 and DX18 is for the telemetry, it is where signal strength is shown, but on the UM planes the only telemetry you get is holds and fades so the other features either show a flat line or "0". It happened on my DX8 and also on my new DX18. Nothing is faulty.
rcpaintfx is offline Find More Posts by rcpaintfx
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:35 PM
Registered User
xmech2k's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,804 Posts
Here's a couple of responses I got about 'the line' from the 'Spektrum Dx8 & Dx7s Help & Support" thread.

From Freechip: "That little line in the corner is the telemetry line showing you no signal from telemetry. If you bound the plane with telemetry and no longer use telemetry then rebind again. The line will go away. "

From AndyKunz: "No need to re-bind.

The telemetry data status line is automatically removed every time you power up the radio or change models. It is only turned on when it receives a telemetry packet. If the model stops sending telemetry data, the line stays there to tell you it got something but hasn't received any recently.

You're seeing it with the EFL MiG-15 because it sends a telemetry packet only on startup. Both the transmitter and receiver are working correctly.

Andy "
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:46 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Here we go... Watched my crash video again, and I think it's was nice enough to put on youtube. It's a bit boring at the beginning (only doing a whole bunch of large loops), but then, I notice I visited the ditch very close.... From then on, there's a whole bunch of low passes (including one inverted). And then, there's my stupid crash (my mistake!). I'm laughing because even before I picked it up, I was sure there would be no damage at all. And guess what, I was right! Simply caught some long weeds. Could have been a lot worst!

Watch it in 720P for those time were the airplane is farther away... But hey, it does come very close a few time!
UMX Mig 15 with stupid crash at the end. Luckily, no damage. (2 min 23 sec)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:08 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
pugsam's Avatar
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,481 Posts
Crashing only in good spots is an excellent skill!

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:37 PM
Registered User
Salinas, CA
Joined Dec 2007
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Holy moly that's a lot of expo! Especially for a system that doesn't specify any. (Well, I don't have a user manual) Too much expo can make planes difficult to fly also. Lots of stick movement and very little happens. Then all of a sudden, "wonk!" and you're on your ear.

EDIT: I read the manual. Expo is recommended for DX4 and DX5 transmitters only. I assume this is because of their less precise on-center response. In any case, flying with 85% expo is way too much!
I meant to say D/R I have expo set at 20.
Did a a couple of battery earlier -- landing is getting a lot better!!
jl449 is online now Find More Posts by jl449
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:45 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl449 View Post
I meant to say D/R I have expo set at 20.
Did a a couple of battery earlier -- landing is getting a lot better!!
Oh... I should have figure that one out.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Official Eflite UMX Beast Owners thread! darksiede Micro Ready-to-Fly 18307 Today 10:43 AM
Discussion UMX Mig-15 DF Mod Thread NitroCharged Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems 1131 Jun 04, 2014 10:16 AM
Discussion E-flite UMX MiG 15 DF SNEAK PEEK! D PAYNE Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems 2221 Mar 03, 2014 11:33 AM
Discussion Hobbyking Lancaster official owners thread Tartago Electric Warbirds 977 Feb 02, 2014 09:07 PM
Sold Eflite F-86 Sabre 15 DF NIB! blue7.62 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 1 Apr 05, 2012 01:35 PM