HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:36 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavekatcher View Post
One question I have regarding the speed is.....I did not do a throttle calibration. Anyone else doing this? You know, turn on tx. Throttle on full, plug in batt to Mig, wait for 2 beeps, lower throttle, wait for beeps, good to go. I never did it with my beast or stryker, so I figured I didn't need to do it with the MIG.

Thanks, Wavekatcher
This will be a good one to figure out. I know many, but not necessarily all, ESC's can be calibrated that way. And to answer Fish99, you pull back the throttle after a specific tone for the calibration, or you can leave it up longer until it goes into programming mode.

Anyone from HH out there who can verify if this can be done?
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:43 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,181 Posts
This is a good question because I am getting a higher top end using an external ESC now so something may need calibrating.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:44 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
Finally had a chance to see your maiden Eastcoast, congrats and nice video! You've logged a lot of flights already! I like the carbon tow you added as well! Are you going to go with servo covers since she's a belly lander? I think I'll put the micro Stryker covers on like AL1EN, the red looks cool. I have yet to try a flight without the gear though, instead of tape on her belly I was thinking a few coats of clear foam spray like what I put on the Radian Pro and big Stryker & I think Nitro did 5 coats??
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:28 PM
Dyess AFB
Joined Apr 2009
697 Posts
Anyone else have a rudder servo DOA? My first one the rudder didn't work out of the box, local hobbytown exchanged it and the second one is fine for the 4 flights I have on it now. Nice litte plane but I did have to rebind it once already, oh well.
Matt Howard is offline Find More Posts by Matt Howard
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:34 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
Anyone else have a rudder servo DOA? My first one the rudder didn't work out of the box, local hobbytown exchanged it and the second one is fine for the 4 flights I have on it now. Nice litte plane but I did have to rebind it once already, oh well.
Glad you caught it on the ground! A buddy of mine had his ELE servo freeze on his 7th flight (landed safely, failed in the neutral position). The servo is on it's way to NitroCharged for a thorough exam and hopefully we'll know more in two weeks which is when Dave is scheduled to receive it.
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:01 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,308 Posts
Always investigating and learning.

First of all thanks to Brian for the heads-up on the new biased long throw servos. I was familiar with the linear long throw servo SPMSA2030L and the 1.9-gram linear long throw BB servo SPMAS2000LBB, but the 2.3-Gram linear long throw offset servo SPMSA2030LO was new to me. It’s a pretty useful servo if you do not have a programmable radio or if you are producing a BNF that uses a low end radio.

Regards,

Eric.
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:13 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Henderson View Post
First of all thanks to Brian for the heads-up on the new biased long throw servos. I was familiar with the linear long throw servo SPMSA2030L and the 1.9-gram linear long throw BB servo SPMAS2000LBB, but the 2.3-Gram linear long throw offset servo SPMSA2030LO was new to me. It’s a pretty useful servo if you do not have a programmable radio or if you are producing a BNF that uses a low end radio.

Regards,

Eric.
The reason they're used on the MiG & Carbon Cub is that AS3X does not support dual-channel ailerons. Programming the differential into the servos gets around that issue.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:17 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,308 Posts
After Brian’s post on dual ailerons I went and did my homework assignment. There are three AS3X receivers available. The DSM2 6 Ch Ultra Micro AS3X receiver BL ESC (EFLU4864), The DSM 6ch UM AS3X RX BL-ESC: HT (EFLU4751) and The DSMX 6Ch AS3X AS6410NBL receiver (SPMAS6410NBL).

I am working from/on the manual that covers the AS6410NBL, not the MIG manual. It clearly states and shows you how to get flaperons with this RX if you have a computer radio. The manual talks about changing channel-6 to a reversed aileron channel-2 in the receiver. This gives you two independent channels. You then have to tell your TX to use channel-6 as the second aileron.

[I said “In the receiver”, because you can also reverse the servo itself with the supplied servo modifier lead and also with a programmable TX. Neither of these reversings gives you flaperons with the AS6410NBL receiver.]

It does work and you do get two aileron channels that you can program with end-points, sub-trims and that can be reversed individually. You can then set up an AS6410NBL to give linked elevator to ailerons e.g. flaperons. You can also use the computer radio flap system operation to drop or raise both ailerons. Just like any of the prior AR6400 RXs.

So why would HH say that it does not work? The answer lies in the roll axis gyro implementation in the RX. What I tested for and found out was that the gyro will only operate/correct channel-2 when dual aileron channels are selected. What you see is only the channel-2 driven aileron reacting when you roll the airplane from side to side!

Now the question is “What will that do in the air?” My theory is that gyro-roll-correction/stabilization on only one aileron will still have the desired effect, but will be slower than before. I based that last conclusion on aileron servo failures on larger aircraft and of course it is only a theory until I fly my MIG again.

So there you have it. If you want dual ailerons (flaperons etc.) you can have them, BUT you will lose the AS3X gyro efect on the channel-6 driven servo.

I'll try and post a video as soon as I can.

Regards,

Eric.
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:43 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Henderson View Post
After Brian’s post on dual ailerons I went and did my homework assignment. There are three AS3X receivers available. The DSM2 6 Ch Ultra Micro AS3X receiver BL ESC (EFLU4864), The DSM 6ch UM AS3X RX BL-ESC: HT (EFLU4751) and The DSMX 6Ch AS3X AS6410NBL receiver (SPMAS6410NBL).

I am working from/on the manual that covers the AS6410NBL, not the MIG manual. It clearly states and shows you how to get flaperons with this RX if you have a computer radio. The manual talks about changing channel-6 to a reversed aileron channel-2 in the receiver. This gives you two independent channels. You then have to tell your TX to use channel-6 as the second aileron.

[I said “In the receiver”, because you can also reverse the servo itself with the supplied servo modifier lead and also with a programmable TX. Neither of these reversings gives you flaperons with the AS6410NBL receiver.]

It does work and you do get two aileron channels that you can program with end-points, sub-trims and that can be reversed individually. You can then set up an AS6410NBL to give linked elevator to ailerons e.g. flaperons. You can also use the computer radio flap system operation to drop or raise both ailerons. Just like any of the prior AR6400 RXs.

So why would HH say that it does not work? The answer lies in the roll axis gyro implementation in the RX. What I tested for and found out was that the gyro will only operate/correct channel-2 when dual aileron channels are selected. What you see is only the channel-2 driven aileron reacting when you roll the airplane from side to side!

Now the question is “What will that do in the air?” My theory is that gyro-roll-correction/stabilization on only one aileron will still have the desired effect, but will be slower than before. I based that last conclusion on aileron servo failures on larger aircraft and of course it is only a theory until I fly my MIG again.

So there you have it. If you want dual ailerons (flaperons etc.) you can have them, BUT you will lose the AS3X gyro efect on the channel-6 driven servo.

I'll try and post a video as soon as I can.

Regards,

Eric.
Eric,

This stuff is old-hat for those of us who have been flying AS3X-equipped planes since the Beast 3D came out last November. Many people have tried dual-channel ailerons on the other AS3X planes. They always go back to single-channel ailerons, as the results are always poor. With AS3X active on only one aileron, the plane flies poorly due to adverse yaw, and becomes prone to tip-stalls. Plus, the gain is only half what it should be on the roll-axis.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jul 13, 2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:19 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Finally had a chance to see your maiden Eastcoast, congrats and nice video! You've logged a lot of flights already! I like the carbon tow you added as well! Are you going to go with servo covers since she's a belly lander? I think I'll put the micro Stryker covers on like AL1EN, the red looks cool. I have yet to try a flight without the gear though, instead of tape on her belly I was thinking a few coats of clear foam spray like what I put on the Radian Pro and big Stryker & I think Nitro did 5 coats??
Thanks Coco, yea the CF makes a world of a difference. I never took a pic of the final. i poked a hole threw the foam hinge with a piece of 2/56 music wire and used a skiver of 3mm CF rod.
Tow would of been imposable to feed threw the small hole. So i skivered off a piece of cf from the odds and ends i have laying around. just used a #11blade and cut the 3mm in half. once you start your cut, you can run the blade threw easy as pie
Just finished remaking the nose LG. Used a paper clip and followed the bends of the stock lg. But i added a coil mid way up. ground tested it on the Kitchen floor works great.

yea diff going to get the servo covers. that clear should work great. But i like the tape, as over time im guessing tape or clear the grass well stain. So with tape you can easily remove it and apply more.

I'm looking for a a decent parking lot for some pavement flights.

Wind has dropped and its a day at the field tomorrow. cant wait to run a few laps.
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:44 AM
Joined Jun 2007
239 Posts
A little bit of help please guys.

I noticed today an awkward line on my transmitter when flying the mig. It's only there when I power up the mig and only the mig, tried on another DSM 2 rx and the MCPx.

The plane seems to behave fine, though I can't test it at the field yet. Could it be a faulty unit? I haven't hat more than 4-5 flights (got the plane on Wednesday.

I tried binding it again, tried creating a new profile...

Pic attached:
vadimpelau is offline Find More Posts by vadimpelau
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:11 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,181 Posts
I'm no Spektrum aficionado, but is the DX7S fine with being at 5V? My DX7 goes off at 8.8V..

Meanwhile, how is the Mig faulty because your transmitter is doing something weird?
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:23 AM
Joined Jun 2007
239 Posts
Well the transmitter seems ok and the voltage is (still) fine for the d7s (4.8V pack).

I'll charge it but the awkward thing is the line is MIG (DSMx) only and I had a nasty crash too. I just don't remember seeing that line before...

I took the mig for a short flight and it seems ok. In DSM2 mode there is no line.

If any Dx7s or Dx8 owners can check theirs I'd be grateful. I'll report it as bug if others can confirm.
vadimpelau is offline Find More Posts by vadimpelau
Last edited by vadimpelau; Jul 14, 2012 at 04:33 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:19 AM
Joined Aug 2011
769 Posts
I too see the line for both my Mig and the Beast3d on my DX8
No problems experienced because of it.
jim350 is online now Find More Posts by jim350
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:26 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimpelau View Post
A little bit of help please guys.

I noticed today an awkward line on my transmitter when flying the mig. It's only there when I power up the mig and only the mig, tried on another DSM 2 rx and the MCPx.
DX7s has telemetry. I'm not sure, but I believe the Mig has a DSMX receiver and it does have some basic telemetry (lost packets/frames). DSM2 receivers do not have telemetry, and I have no clue about the MCPx (I don't own one).

But basically, I think this little line has something to do with telemetry. With the DX7s, I believe you have to scroll to another menu to verify/check telemetry. As usual, I may be totally wrong, but hey, it's something worth checking!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler