Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:42 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Just a few pictures
Your fist way to use a battery, with exposed banana plugs, is a bit scary!!! It's not a question of "can those short together eventually", but more a question of "how long will it take before it does happen". Just take a few minutes, and build a proper box/adapter. All you need is two banana female, one little box, and a suitable wire/jack and battery wire coming out of it. Seriously, one day, you'll think that you've unplugged the battery and start moving your setup live, or somebody else will move it, or put something on top of it, and both of those banana plugs will touch each other.

The second way is bordeline as well, but probably a bit safer!

P.S.: If you still plan to use those small chargers in the field, you may want to make a box with a whole bunch of banana female. (Let say 5 black and 5 red). This way, you can bring those small relatively useless chargers in the field, and charge up to 5 batteries, one by one (trust me if you don't have 5 of those yet, it won't take long anyway!)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:57 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
........I just have to ask, who is the photo you use as your avatar? Lt. General of some sort? Just curious, always interested in a story and there must be a good one behind that.
Marlin
Looks like Curtis LeMay

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:19 PM
... UMX Horizon Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL1EN View Post
Just put the Stryker servo covers on the mig and used some canopy glue to secure them. The covers come in a set of 4 incase u were wondering. Over all I'm very happy with this mod and don't mind the red.

very nice- great view !!!- I have also a pair of covers from a crashes Stryker (bought on ebay) and now I will fix them at my Mig !
Thanks for your pics !!!!
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:20 PM
Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Mayday
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBKelsoe View Post
Pretty much, but I understand the feeling. I don't boss the wife around. I let her do pretty much what she want. But unlike the 20 purses, 20 pairs of shoes and 40 dresses we have in the closet, my modest fleet of aircraft sees the light of day on a regular basis. I'm not very demanding for a guy that's been bringing home the bacon for 15 years.

I'd be nicer if she had turboracer wife's attitude though.
My Missus is not that bad!

I've lost count of the amount of planes and helis I've got now though, loads of them...

Just one more won't hurt though, right?
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nearly done!!
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:43 PM
... UMX Horizon Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Well, third flying session, 32 flights total so far, and I'm sorry to say this is my less favorite UMX airplane!!!! Heck, went back this morning with 16 batteries, and ended up finishing my session flying the Beast!!!

Don't get me wrong, it's still an awesome airplane. But it's not the best UMX by far!!! I'll fly it often, but it will likely stay mint for a very long time! (So far, only have one tiny single rash on a wing tip, when my front wheel came loose on second landing).

So let see:
- Front wheel came loose on second landing! Lost the retaining nut.
- Front wheel bend as soon as you land to hard. This thing will likely not last long. I'll probably make my own with a paper clip (Going on BOTH side of the wheel) and it will be better than the original design. Trust me, I can grease a landing, but you screw up once, it's bent out of shape!
- Rudder is not efficient enough. Since I got a bit of fluttering on it in high wind, I'm not tempted to move it one hole... Keep in mind it's scale, but other than landing (it's truly nice then but you have to watch for wing drop), in flight, it's truly so-so. Basically, a mix is almost mandatory. (Normally, I avoid mix). Yes, I know, it's more a bank and yank airframe, but still...
- Could use more power (but I've been flying with wheels all the time... Hey, I love landings and take-off). I fly all my other UMX totally stock. I'm not a speed maniac.
- Mine definitively has a binding problem. Heck, even if I put the Tx 10ft away, slap a battery, and it doesn't bind when I plug a battery after a long break. Thanks to a tip, found out you don't have to rebind. You simply unplug the battery and try again until in lock with the Tx. Sometime take 3 to 4 try. Never had any problems with my other UMXs. Once I get the first battery going, I can then fly non-stop batteries after batteries. Strange. Seem like some capacitor is charging then keep some information for a little bit, helping second bind and next...
EDIT:
- I forgot... - Tape? came loose slowly on mine, and now, I have servo wiring hanging inside the Mig... So, look like I may have to open it after all.
- Ailerons fluttering when there's a bit of wind. (stock setting)
Overall, it's the first time I'm finding that a UMX is overpriced! (And they are all the same price). I have to try it without wheels (that may fix a few negatives) but I didn't buy it to be flown without wheels!! (Heck, my Stryker is much better suited for that!)

There's lot of positives though!
- Look and finish is awesome
- EDF is sweeeet (mine is very quiet)
- There's a novelty factor
- The board is programmable (so can be used somewhere else... this may happen very soon! But I hate the binding problem)

But seriously, after only 32 flights, I'm already looking at my other airplanes. Maybe it's me, maybe I was expecting more. But with any of my other UMXs, I had about 100 flights before I even started looking at my other airplanes.
RG, I fly without problems and also use better powered lipo packs and i have to say best performance is without landing gear.
But you are right in the point that this plane is not "the only and best one" of the UMX fleet--I think its the same with the GeeBee....this plane is awesome without doubts but after two or three flight at the evening I want to fly another plane like Beast/SBach/Stryker....- glad to have a huge UMX fleet and I'm sure you will have fun with the Mig if you fly it again days later.
The choice is the right and only answer

Good flying !
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:59 PM
Bombs Away...
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Nov 2009
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
very nice- great view !!!- I have also a pair of covers from a crashes Stryker (bought on ebay) and now I will fix them at my Mig !
Thanks for your pics !!!!
your welcome bro!
Best way to protect the servos IMO

*** There the UM stryker covers to be clear.
AL1EN is offline Find More Posts by AL1EN
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:15 PM
will fly for food
United States, CA, Ben Lomond
Joined Mar 2011
1,058 Posts
I got my maiden flight today, plus one more.

Stock battery. Bound her up no problem to my DX8. I am using the LG.

I wish I hadn't flown my 50mph F5e first, because I really found the speed to be lacking. I used a chopstick to massage the aileron wire out of the way of the fan. Worked like a charm.

Overall a fun model. Easy to take off and land, handles wind nicely (I only had 5mph wind, but choppy)

I had my Hyperion 240's, from my UMX Stryker, all charged and ready to go, but ran into a problem. No way to fit the wires with the jst to stock connector adapter in the battery bay. Works fine for my Beast, Stryker, and 130x, but not enough room without cutting out some foam. I think I'll just order up some Miniaviation batts instead of switching everything over to micro-deans.

One question I have regarding the speed is.....I did not do a throttle calibration. Anyone else doing this? You know, turn on tx. Throttle on full, plug in batt to Mig, wait for 2 beeps, lower throttle, wait for beeps, good to go. I never did it with my beast or stryker, so I figured I didn't need to do it with the MIG.

Thanks, Wavekatcher
wavekatcher is online now Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:25 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavekatcher View Post
...One question I have regarding the speed is.....I did not do a throttle calibration. Anyone else doing this? You know, turn on tx. Throttle on full, plug in batt to Mig, wait for 2 beeps, lower throttle, wait for beeps, good to go. I never did it with my beast or stryker, so I figured I didn't need to do it with the MIG.

Thanks, Wavekatcher
Doesn't turning it on with the throttle all the way up put the brick into PROGRAM mode? (I am not at home right now so no manual.) I seem to recall reading that in the manual and it specifically saying don't do that, and if you do, simply unplug the lipo right away, put throttle to zero and start over.

Marlin
Fish99 is online now Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:58 PM
will fly for food
United States, CA, Ben Lomond
Joined Mar 2011
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Doesn't turning it on with the throttle all the way up put the brick into PROGRAM mode? (I am not at home right now so no manual.) I seem to recall reading that in the manual and it specifically saying don't do that, and if you do, simply unplug the lipo right away, put throttle to zero and start over.

Marlin
I know that is the way to adjust gain values on my 130x. So prolly a bad idea w/ the mig.
wavekatcher is online now Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:22 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Not everyone feels that way (about getting bigger, badder batteries)....
I'm in the (2S) 180-240MAH camp, but love hearing how far some of the pioneers can push the envelope.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:32 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,518 Posts
Hyperion 180s here too. The CG feels better with a lighter pack. I'm also going to give the Nanotech 180 packs a try. They are dirt cheap and work great in my umx Beast 3D.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:39 PM
Going broke, dam this hobby
cleveland oh
Joined Mar 2009
622 Posts
Ok found what was happening with my mig, everytime i tryed to fly her she would get about 15 to 25 feet away and i would lose control, flip over and hit the ground, after many rebinds kept doing it, took her apart and found that the antenna was glued under the board not to the side, . After i fix this problem mig flew great but looks like crap from the wrecks, but HH is sending me a complete airframe , so now i can beat her up and try some stunts then put all the parts in a brand new airframe
xlrDALLAS is offline Find More Posts by xlrDALLAS
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:53 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,019 Posts
Awesome man, so how hard is it to get her apart
I was lookin at mine last night and thinking.. Man it well suck to take it apart
Especialy around the wing root

I'm going to take the servo off tonight and clean the track with some rubbing alcohol
It's still jittering around 75% throw
I'm very surprised it Did not effect it in flight
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TF to DOSD wiring.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:57 PM
Going broke, dam this hobby
cleveland oh
Joined Mar 2009
622 Posts
not hard, not hard at all, and seeing that it was pretty messed up, i had nodda to lose, ya only got to take off the the red plastic to get to the board
xlrDALLAS is offline Find More Posts by xlrDALLAS
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:03 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlrDALLAS View Post
not hard, not hard at all, and seeing that it was pretty messed up, i had nodda to lose, ya only got to take off the the red plastic to get to the board
Cool, I guess there isn't much glue used?
Only reason is I got a new servo on the way
And if I can't get the installed servo working correctly
I'm going to replace it
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TF to DOSD wiring.