HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2012, 06:29 PM
Joined Apr 2010
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
The radar is the best way to mesure the airplane, but if you took all 3 readings the same way, wind could have screwed up the results. A 5mph wind is barely noticeable, but will add or remove speed, often by that much, from your results. Also, results are usually better from left to right, and right to left (radar or doppler). Most of the time, when coming toward you, you start high, and dive slowly to get the perfect high for the radar. End result is a slightly faster reading. Keep in mind, again, radar is truly the best way to mesure speed! But I did passes both ways, to eliminate any wind factor so I stand by my results
If any wind were a factor, it would have slowed my plane based on the direction it was coming. It was minimal and even less of a factor based on the location of the test. I don't know about the winds where you live but they tend to vary here and certainly would have gotten different speeds from 2 different packs and flights 10 minutes apart if wind was a factor. My 41mph comes from the average reading of 3 guns per pack....so 6 readings. They only varied by 1 or 2mph anyway but I did the best possible to get a real reading. Dropped in at low throttle and gave her full throttle on a flat approach across at least 150 meters of parking lot about 3 meters from the surface. My friend was in the bed of his truck to get the best straight on reading as possible. We didn't take time to do straight away measurements but will do them both ways someday. It was a last minute and just for fun idea.

I know the radar gun is accurate based on other things I have used it for but I had some doubts with such a tiny footprint coming directly at it so I can't really verify the speed on these tests. Then again, maybe your plane is slow.

Taking measurements perpendicular is the worst way with a radar gun. Directly at or away from the gun is as exact as possible. They do suffer from the cosine effects.
hoovdog is offline Find More Posts by hoovdog
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:00 PM
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID
United States, CA, Ben Lomond
Joined Mar 2011
1,133 Posts
DX8 settings

My Mig arrived safely from all the way across the country. Looks good besides a liittle glue on top of the left wing and 1 of the the aileron wires hanging down in the exhaust.

What should I set the wing as? Normal or duel aileron? Thanks for any help. I would have thought the manual might have recommended settings other than D/R and expo.???

Flight report tomorrow!
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:50 PM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavekatcher View Post
My Mig arrived safely from all the way across the country. Looks good besides a liittle glue on top of the left wing and 1 of the the aileron wires hanging down in the exhaust.

What should I set the wing as? Normal or duel aileron? Thanks for any help. I would have thought the manual might have recommended settings other than D/R and expo.???

Flight report tomorrow!
Set it for normal aileron, as the board is set up to control the servos as though they were on a "Y" lead.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:36 PM
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID
United States, CA, Ben Lomond
Joined Mar 2011
1,133 Posts
Thank you ensign!
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:00 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,741 Posts
YESSSS ... new owner report

Well, finally get to POST on this thread! Picked up the new Mig 15 after work and promptly bound it to my DX8, went to the park and put 3 lipos through it. WOW, is all I can say. This plane is amazing. Cross wind and blowing probably 10 km/hr with gusts, didn't even know it was windy. Wheels on, flew quite fast. Great roll rate at speed, nice low level and tight loops, hammer heads even which were a blast. Rolling uplines to hammer heads looked so odd on a jet. Even got in some inverted circuits, no issues. LOVE this plane. Sounds and looks cool, very easy to fly. Can't wait to post the video on my YouTube site!

Went home and then could not resist, 3 more lipos through it out in front of my house off the street in the sub division, around the street lights, cars and trees! WHAT A HOOT. Seriously fast plane but SOOOO stable and predictable.

Landing was pretty easy though getting it not to BOUNCE on the front wheel took me a bit to figure out how to grease them in but when I did, MAN that was cool. Even managed one mains first then nose drop landing, and like some one earlier posted, wished I had the video going as it looked AMAZING!

Overall, wow, what a plane. I did notice you have to have the Tx a little ways away (I know, just like the manual says) to bind and when you turn it on later. No biggy, just not something I have had to do before.

Great stuff!

Marlin
(Happy Mig 15 pilot!)
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:50 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Well, finally get to POST on this thread! Picked up the new Mig 15 after work and promptly bound it to my DX8, went to the park and put 3 lipos through it. WOW, is all I can say. This plane is amazing. Cross wind and blowing probably 10 km/hr with gusts, didn't even know it was windy. Wheels on, flew quite fast. Great roll rate at speed, nice low level and tight loops, hammer heads even which were a blast. Rolling uplines to hammer heads looked so odd on a jet. Even got in some inverted circuits, no issues. LOVE this plane. Sounds and looks cool, very easy to fly. Can't wait to post the video on my YouTube site!

Went home and then could not resist, 3 more lipos through it out in front of my house off the street in the sub division, around the street lights, cars and trees! WHAT A HOOT. Seriously fast plane but SOOOO stable and predictable.

Landing was pretty easy though getting it not to BOUNCE on the front wheel took me a bit to figure out how to grease them in but when I did, MAN that was cool. Even managed one mains first then nose drop landing, and like some one earlier posted, wished I had the video going as it looked AMAZING!

Overall, wow, what a plane. I did notice you have to have the Tx a little ways away (I know, just like the manual says) to bind and when you turn it on later. No biggy, just not something I have had to do before.

Great stuff!

Marlin
(Happy Mig 15 pilot!)
Glad you like it but "seriously fast???" Your kidding right?
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Jul 13, 2012, 03:15 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,771 Posts
I bet it feels fast flying round the street!!!
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jul 13, 2012, 05:37 AM
This thing runs real nice...
Joined Jun 2012
285 Posts
Rebuilt my Mig today. Wasn't too hard though I think I installed some of the servos back to front. Damn CA stuck to my fingers and pulled some paint off already.
Nam Lemmi is offline Find More Posts by Nam Lemmi
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:01 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Yes, I hate that too!

I see why the air path is so smooth now. The plugs/casts were polished in that section to get the mirror finish.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:27 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,930 Posts
Called HH yesterday about my sticky rudder servo and the bind issues.. They sent me a UPS tag to send the Mig in.. Guess I'll have to be without it for a while!
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:35 AM
Don't Midair Me, Bro!
USA, IN, Auburn
Joined Jun 2010
612 Posts
Did some night flying under the lights at a 3DHS fly-in last night. What a blast!
split_s is offline Find More Posts by split_s
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:38 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Well, third flying session, 32 flights total so far, and I'm sorry to say this is my less favorite UMX airplane!!!! Heck, went back this morning with 16 batteries, and ended up finishing my session flying the Beast!!!

Don't get me wrong, it's still an awesome airplane. But it's not the best UMX by far!!! I'll fly it often, but it will likely stay mint for a very long time! (So far, only have one tiny single rash on a wing tip, when my front wheel came loose on second landing).

So let see:
- Front wheel came loose on second landing! Lost the retaining nut.
- Front wheel bend as soon as you land to hard. This thing will likely not last long. I'll probably make my own with a paper clip (Going on BOTH side of the wheel) and it will be better than the original design. Trust me, I can grease a landing, but you screw up once, it's bent out of shape!
- Rudder is not efficient enough. Since I got a bit of fluttering on it in high wind, I'm not tempted to move it one hole... Keep in mind it's scale, but other than landing (it's truly nice then but you have to watch for wing drop), in flight, it's truly so-so. Basically, a mix is almost mandatory. (Normally, I avoid mix). Yes, I know, it's more a bank and yank airframe, but still...
- Could use more power (but I've been flying with wheels all the time... Hey, I love landings and take-off). I fly all my other UMX totally stock. I'm not a speed maniac.
- Mine definitively has a binding problem. Heck, even if I put the Tx 10ft away, slap a battery, and it doesn't bind when I plug a battery after a long break. Thanks to a tip, found out you don't have to rebind. You simply unplug the battery and try again until in lock with the Tx. Sometime take 3 to 4 try. Never had any problems with my other UMXs. Once I get the first battery going, I can then fly non-stop batteries after batteries. Strange. Seem like some capacitor is charging then keep some information for a little bit, helping second bind and next...
EDIT:
- I forgot... - Tape? came loose slowly on mine, and now, I have servo wiring hanging inside the Mig... So, look like I may have to open it after all.
- Ailerons fluttering when there's a bit of wind. (stock setting)
Overall, it's the first time I'm finding that a UMX is overpriced! (And they are all the same price). I have to try it without wheels (that may fix a few negatives) but I didn't buy it to be flown without wheels!! (Heck, my Stryker is much better suited for that!)

There's lot of positives though!
- Look and finish is awesome
- EDF is sweeeet (mine is very quiet)
- There's a novelty factor
- The board is programmable (so can be used somewhere else... this may happen very soon! But I hate the binding problem)

But seriously, after only 32 flights, I'm already looking at my other airplanes. Maybe it's me, maybe I was expecting more. But with any of my other UMXs, I had about 100 flights before I even started looking at my other airplanes.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Last edited by RealGambler; Jul 13, 2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:48 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Question: For those who tried it without the wheels (I have to make my own servo covers before I try it...), does the rudder work better? I have a feeling that those wheel "covers" were put there to act as a side force generator, more than cosmetic. They should help the tiny rudder, but they don't. I'm wondering if people notice a difference without the wheels (and what I call myself SFGs! ) I'm thinking, even if it's not truly logical, that the rudder may become more effective without the wheels/SFGs.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:05 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
281 Posts
The Red Commie

I got one yesterday at the hobby shop. I also got an adapter so I can use my regular charger, which tells you how much juice the battery used up. And you can charge faster than 1 C.

After binding and making sure everything was all right (my right aileron needed trimming down), I put a nice coat of future on it. I do this for all my foamies, especially the small ones. Negligible weight, but it fills in all the little cracks between foam bits, it's auto-leveling so it's smooth. It's acrylic, so the surface is slick - sorta like waxing an aircraft. I also think it helps protect the foam against some rubbing (belly landing). It also helps decals stay in place. But the best thing about it: It makes everything shiny. Shiny is good.

I made it a belly lander. A 3 minute static, 80% throttle engine run uses about 80% of the battery. In real life, a 3 minute flight uses between 75% and 66% of the battery. The battery with the least usage are not HH, they are from the hobby shop. However they are lighter and shorter, giving you a light nose, requiring nose down trim.

The HH battery had to be installed all the way forward for the CG to be right. If installed way back the CG is too far back.

Flight: 32 Degree C (very hot), no wind. Hand launch. In those conditions, it launches very near stall, it goes straight out horizontal, but nose up, behind the power curve. Even though, it is stable and does not drop a wing or wallow. You just calmly lower the nose to allow it to pick up speed, and away the little banshee goes. A landing in reverse.

So this thing goes like snot, wailing away. Cool. I've flow the UMX Beast a couple hundred times, so I was comfortable with the MiG right away for some reason.

Now I know some people will get into pissing contest mode if I say this thing is fast. "Why I have a Blah blah blah with a blah motor and blah blah battery and it does .9 mach I sweartoGod I had my brother in law clock it and he's a state trooper and their radar never lie," etc etc. Well you know what? This thing is fast. For a 15 in 3 ounce piece of foam with a half clogged duct, it goes pretty darn fast. And you can lose that sucker if you'fe not careful. Not a beginner airplane. It can eat real estate fast in the turns too.

Anyway, this thing flies like a 50's jet ought to. Doesn't accelerate very well. But doesn't bleed too much in the turns. Manage your energy. Some people were dissapointed in the vertical. Said it doesn't climb very fast. Well, Chuck, this is a frikkin MiG 15, not a Streak Eagle.

It can do at least 3 tight (non scale) loops in a row, which is not bad. You want a 3D airplane you can hang off the prop? This ain't it. Go get that foamy profile taxi thing and go play on the basketball courts if the big kids'll let ya.

You can run it on 100% all the time, but I find that it's better to throttle manage it. You can pull nice basic aerobatics, Himmelmans & split S, rolls etc. Very easy. I used the slow rates at first, but you don't need to. Actually, you want to have full rates on the elevator for landing (like the instruction book sez). Just keep full rates on the elevator all the time, if you do vertical stuff you'll want that insurance.

So I just ran 3 batteries through it, I'm happy. No wind, so of course it was rock stable but somehow it made me want to fly it scale. Less energy bleed.

The landing was on very short grass at the field. It tends to float a bit near the ground. Use some throttle. Don't glide it in unpowered. The landing will be smoother and you can almost plop it down near zero speed that way. No trace of belly landing on the airframe or nose. No crud in the servos. I doubt it's even worth the bother to put packing tape on the belly against rubbing if you land it right. I might do it, it will add a tiny bit of weight forward and help the CG.

So it's a great little screamer of a bird. Sure to piss off the old fogey at the field that are always pushing people toward bigger, heavier, gas propelled aircraft, so you can spend the day doing greasy run ups and manage 2 flights a day before you belly it in on a dead stick. Just kidding. I'm sure there will be a lot of head shaking, but most normal people will be itching to give it a try.
WBKelsoe is offline Find More Posts by WBKelsoe
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:12 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,936 Posts
Nice write-up, WB.

Enjoyed reading it.

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member