Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:54 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,200 Posts
RealG - I thought RCSpeedo was for prop planes only? I never had luck w/ my EDF's getting a decent reading. Is there another version of it for EDF's?

I got my RCbabbel Hyperion 320 battery in the mail yesterday. Works great and gets me a solid 5 minutes now w/ 75 to 100% throttle!
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:55 AM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post

Pics of my cooling mod:

-Brian
is that spot out of the iarflow ? it looks like the canopy might make a air pocket. Idont know because My mig was left at work last night but i would think the front of the canopy would be a great spot to put a hole as well
TheOne420 is online now Find More Posts by TheOne420
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:59 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,791 Posts
Dx8 also. I think it lost the bind once, but some of the other club members were checking out the plane while I was away and may have plugged in a battery in an effort to see the AS3X in action. (Which wouldn't work, of course.) No other issues.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:02 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
is that spot out of the iarflow ? it looks like the canopy might make a air pocket. Idont know because My mig was left at work last night but i would think the front of the canopy would be a great spot to put a hole as well
I though that, but the canopy does not have a sharp curve so I'd think that it will still get airflow. I originally considered making an oval hole along the bottom of the front window, but that might ruin the looks. With erkq's heatskink idea this may be able to do sustained 3/4+ throttle 3S flights

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined Apr 2010
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post

With stock E-Flite battery that came with it (only 3 cycles), I got seven very good passes, that gave me an average of 30.5mph

With Hyperion 240mah (not home made packs, straight from factory), about 30 cycles, I also got seven very good passes, that gave me an average of 35.3mph (passes were a bit less consistent, but still good)

With NanoTech 180mah, getting close to 100 cycles, and using two differents packs, I got 11 passes, which gave me an average of 33.1mph. One pack gave me slightly better results than the other, but those packs have been to war and back a few times and abused too many times!

So, the E-Flite pack is really good. Yes, it's the slowest, but with only 3 cycles, it should still improve and should get closer to the other two. WTG E-Flite!. The Hyperion gave me the best results, but those packs are almost in their sweet spot. 30 cycles, and never abused. The NanoTech did pretty good, and for the price, I still think it's a great deal.

So, overall, about 33mph for the Mig, with wheels, and in relatively typical conditions. I believe I can trust RCSpeedo on this one (I may check it with better doppler software later on). I usually don't trust RCSpeedo much, but the results were so consistent, I'm suddenly liking this app VERY MUCH! . No wild speed recorded ever. I'll have to use that software more often from now on.
I had a friend use my Bushnell Speedster III radar gun (k-band type) and took 3 readings of 41mph running stock E-Flite 200mAh packs and landing gear on. They were taken with the plane coming directly at us as best as possible. It was a quick test and will be doing a lot more of this when time and a helping hand permits. Also as a comparison number, my Beast 3D with GWS 5030 prop and Hyperion 180mAh pack clocked at 31-32mph.
hoovdog is offline Find More Posts by hoovdog
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Flew the Mig again this morning. First thing I had to do was re-bind it since it did loose the bind overnight, in the box... Very scary, it does look like the CC too much. But hopefully, it's only something that is happening with DSM2 Tx only... After binding, no problems flying it, non-stop through 16 batteries!!!!
Is the Mig actually loosing the bind? My CC cub will most often take 2-3 tries at plugging the battery in before it recognizes the xmitter, but does not loose the bind. I have never had to rebind it. At least to date anyway. I have gotten used to just unplugging the plane battery and replugging it until I get a solid light that it is just normal start up procedure on the CC.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:46 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
RG: Looking forward to see how many mAh you put back on all those packs. This is making me really want to get some BB TP 325 65C packs. Just hope the CG doesn't move forward to much. Also I'm guessing at least 6mph level speed increase with the gear off, probably 10 out of a dive.
Well, nothing truly out of ordinary for the batteries... With my CellPro charger, here's the results (averages for NanoTech and Hyperion, but only one single E-Flite...). All after 3 minutes flights, mostly WOT.
NanoTech 180mah: 9% 7.46V 129mah (about 100cycles, abused getting old...)
Hyperion 240mah: 20% 7.64V 140mah (30 cycles... Faster speed, but more mah out!)
E-Flite 200mah: 9% 7.64V 126mah (only 3 cycles... Hyp and E-Flite both got 7.64V, not a mistake)

Voltage wise, the NanoTech (oldest batteries in the test) lost more voltage, but at 129mah and 9%, still happy. I have a few more to charge, so average may change later on.

Hmmm... An extra 6mph without wheels??? It will surely be interesting! I'm guessing slightly less. Maybe 4mph. Not sure I want to belly land without servo covers though... OK, maybe once or twice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
RealG - I thought RCSpeedo was for prop planes only? I never had luck w/ my EDF's getting a decent reading. Is there another version of it for EDF's?
RCSpeedo was designed for EDF in mind! It's also working great on fast propeller airplanes like pylon racers. Also work well with small propeller spinning fast. Never had great results with it until now. And I wasn't expecting much because my Mig is so quiet. I'm using the PC version right now, but will likely get the app now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovdog View Post
I had a friend use my Bushnell Speedster III radar gun (k-band type) and took 3 readings of 41mph running stock E-Flite 200mAh packs and landing gear on. They were taken with the plane coming directly at us as best as possible. It was a quick test and will be doing a lot more of this when time and a helping hand permits. Also as a comparison number, my Beast 3D with GWS 5030 prop and Hyperion 180mAh pack clocked at 31-32mph.
The radar is the best way to mesure the airplane, but if you took all 3 readings the same way, wind could have screwed up the results. A 5mph wind is barely noticeable, but will add or remove speed, often by that much, from your results. Also, results are usually better from left to right, and right to left (radar or doppler). Most of the time, when coming toward you, you start high, and dive slowly to get the perfect high for the radar. End result is a slightly faster reading. Keep in mind, again, radar is truly the best way to mesure speed! But I did passes both ways, to eliminate any wind factor so I stand by my results

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Is the Mig actually loosing the bind? My CC cub will most often take 2-3 tries at plugging the battery in before it recognizes the xmitter, but does not loose the bind. I have never had to rebind it. At least to date anyway. I have gotten used to just unplugging the plane battery and replugging it until I get a solid light that it is just normal start up procedure on the CC.
Now, that's interesting! I saw the light flashing this morning, so I simply turned off the Tx, and re-binded. So, you're saying that I could have simply unpluged the battery, plugged it again, and it may have worked? That's much better... You cannot accidentally screw up a failsafe by re-binding over and over. (not that there's much failsafe in our UMs! It's just an habit I don't want to start!). If it happen again, I'll try your method for sure!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Last edited by RealGambler; Jul 12, 2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:52 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,478 Posts
Servo Resurrection

DeoxiIT may have done it again.

Yesterday evening, my MiG went into an uncontrollable fast roll.

"Landed" with only minor damage , but one aileron servo was locked-up solid.

Took it home, and gave the servo all the TLC I could think of, including a touch of DeoxIT.

Got the servo to where it was unfrozen, but still cycled roughly and would stick frequently.

Gave up, and went to bed.

This morning, it's as smooth as new! Flew through six batteries -- and so far, so good............

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Last edited by pugsam; Jul 12, 2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: added quotation marks
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:04 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,757 Posts
Mine does the binding thing too.. Every few flights need to re-bind. Not a huge deal, whatever..

But my rudder servo will lock up every once in a while. Just started after about 25-30 flights.

I think I'll call HH on that one and mention the binding problem too.
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:42 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovdog View Post
Well, you had me checked my doppler with WaveOScope, and sure enough, there's something wrong with one of them (RCSpeedo or WaveOScope). So, I'm no longer standing behind my results...

Oh well, at least, you can consistently see an increase in speed (even small) depending on the battery you use, no matter what doppler software I use, so that still stand true.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:02 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
664 Posts
With the brick and motor system mounted I am seeing about 47C(117F) temperatures at the ESC and 42C at the motor after a full WOT run. This is at room temperature 24C, no air movement.

I see zero heat issues in stock form. Results will vary of course.
ryan_t888 is online now Find More Posts by ryan_t888
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:28 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,841 Posts
Thunderpower Balance Plug Conversion

Nevermind - worked fine.

A REAL basic question, but just to be safe: I can wire up an E-FLite balance plug using the Thunderpower leads as shown (blue is positive) - correct ?

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Last edited by speedy01; Jul 12, 2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Answered my own question
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:52 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,826 Posts
speedy01,
Possibly the blue wire is the 7.4 volt positive but I would check with a voltmeter to make certain. No fun letting the magic smoke out of the board...
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:56 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
speedy01,
Possibly the blue wire is the 7.4 volt positive...
Thanks, Gary

Yes, the blue wire is positive. I was anxious to fly the MiG, so just did it.

As others have said, nice flying little airplane -- and it's not so loud that I'm worried about the neighborhood next to the park where I fly.

Gene
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jul 12, 2012, 05:26 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,182 Posts
Joel, An external ESC is around 4g with all the wires trimmed short. There's plenty of room in there to mount it. If you saw the junk I carried for the onboard cam video's you'll know it will be OK weight wise.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged